GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was doing an oil change at 4000km, when I found this .One very nasty chewed out thread Contacted the dealer who did the first service and there sending me a new sump plug.This is why I like to service my bikes myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
551 Posts
Was doing an oil change at 4000km, when I found this .One very nasty chewed out thread Contacted the dealer who did the first service and there sending me a new sump plug.This is why I like to service my bikes myself.
Rough. Steer clear of those guys. Unfortunately it happens all too often.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I hope you checked the state of the thread in the sump which is soft alloy, looking at that plug it must be damaged to a degree.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Went to a local bike shop got another sump plug with the same thread. Slowly screwed it in and out like a tap.Now my concern is aluminium filings in the sump Another concern is how the drain plug got in such a mess in the first place.Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
With my Ford Mondeo (nee Fusion) car, the Dealer fits a new bolt with the metal crush washer as a standard item every time. $Au19.
The printout describes it as Washer, Sump Bolt is a poor choice of words when I said rip off price for a cheap washer, especially if it a flat white nylon one.
I was assured it was both items, and Googling the part number confirmed it. The bolt metal must be of softer metal than the sump I guess, which is better than the other way around.
The bolt is a commensurable according to Ford. Don't recall if it has a magnet insert at the oily end.

Rob.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As I have used another sump plug as a tap to smooth out the sump pan thread you would assume that some of the aluminium filing are now in the sump. Any suggestions will the oil filter pick then up,or should I flush the pan

·
Registered
583 Posts
@Paul Rothon, don't worry about aluminum filings as your bike is going to be fine and if there IS anything (tiny traces of anything) your filter will catch it. Looking at the plug, I doubt any filings got into your sump. Just not enough 'damage' there for that to happen.

Was this from the FIRST/INITIAL oil change on the bike? I only ask because I think a gorilla with a 'breaker bar' tightened my sump plug (oil drain plug) at the factory. I swear I don't know how they didn't strip the hole as tight as the bolt was in there. And the crush washer was so flattened, getting it off the bolt was a story in itself and I think that's what happened to your bolt. It was in so tight, the wrench slipped a time or two during removal. Then they couldn't get the crush washer off and were trying to grip the bolt with one set of pliers and get the crush washer off with another set of pliers, or cut it off with dikes (diagonal cutters.) You are doing the right thing. Replace the bolt and move on with life. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Kinda funny....mine was just the opposite. It was not tight at all. I'm surprised it didn't leak or come off from vibration. The Oil filter was the same way. I was prepared for the "fight" and it came off like it was only hand tight. Yes I did go around the bike and check EVERYTHING else!!!!

·
Registered
583 Posts
@Live2Race20, that is funny. And kind of sad. You would hope the consistency from the production line would be better. Everything torqued to the same specs, using tools specially set for that part/component. I guess not. Good thing you went ahead and checked everything else.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts