GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm looking into a wee project of swapping out the oem shock for a K9 onward gsxr1000 unit.....i know length wise it's about right but the reservoir is in the way of a subframe crossbrace which from what I see does nothing besides support the undertray.
So I'm thinking of cutting that brace away and modding the undertray plus a different more compact battery.
Any opinions?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi has anyone tried to replace the OEM rear shock with a GSXR1000 suspension ?
If so, to what model or year ?
thanks
This has been covered plenty, if you want gsxr suspension go buy a gsxr. There are direct replacements available form suspension manufacturers.
You found this site now try using the search facility or even search the old interwebs for suspension manufacturers :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
This has been covered plenty, if you want gsxr suspension go buy a gsxr. There are direct replacements available form suspension manufacturers.
You found this site now try using the search facility or even search the old interwebs for suspension manufacturers :rolleyes:
dont care how many times a subject been covered....all members have right to ask ...or **** dont be a member just search this forum....landy dont be so grumpy

·
Registered
980 Posts
It doesnt fit because of the battery...it hits the gas res on the gsxr shock. I bought one and is currently sat in my garage. Useless!!
Too bad - the Gixxer has a nice suspension. I guess that's some of what an extra $4K gets you.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Found , the only one will be the unit out of cbr600rr ABS version (with new dogbones)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
They would have to be. The six hundred is lighter and smaller with different power out put and geometry.
Imagine a child's seesaw. If it's hinged in the middle and you put two kids in one end and one on the other you could send the single kid flying or, you could put the hinge only one third of the way along and the kids could balance each other out and play nicely.
Personally. I'd go for an after market shock with a remote reservoir and have done with it.
Not as rewarding as modifying and doing something different I know but it would work right and no headache

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
They would have to be. The six hundred is lighter and smaller with different power out put and geometry.
Imagine a child's seesaw. If it's hinged in the middle and you put two kids in one end and one on the other you could send the single kid flying or, you could put the hinge only one third of the way along and the kids could balance each other out and play nicely.
Personally. I'd go for an after market shock with a remote reservoir and have done with it.
Not as rewarding as modifying and doing something different I know but it would work right and no headache

I definitely understand the "why's" and how the suspension works. I have noticed that Ghost usually has a specific solution in mind when he says something like that, so I take note when he does. If he knows what parts are required, or what needs to me modified, I am all ears since those shocks are on Ebay for as little as $40 with the dogbone and links.
I work in a volatile industry,and I am not to keen on spending $500+ on a shock after getting laid off late last year. $50 bucks and a little of my time for something that will work just as well for street use is very attractive to me right now, and I like tinkering on stuff anyway.... :D

·
Registered
536 Posts
I gotta do something about this cheap budget suspension on my bike. It is without a doubt the worst bike I have ever owned as far as suspension goes. Spring rates are stupid on it, valving is terrible and this really just ruins the ride for me. Granted the roads locally are pure crap this bike cannot handle small asphalt ripple bumps or even expansion joints very well. Don't even try to take a corner fast and encounter a bump the whole chassis is upset by it.

I have a 11 GSX-R1000 shock removed off my old racebike and it is like new. It will not fit as stated earlier the battery tray is in the way. I can have the front forks re-sprung and re-valved not a problem. Very easy units up front to work on and plenty of aftermarket stuff available for them. But this back shock is a one off nightmare. I am used to going online and picking out a shock fairly easy or calling my suspension guy and he takes care of it. Not the case on this bike. I know of the Wilbers and Nitron both of which I have no experience with.

Cannot believe Suzuki designed such a tight rear shock location on this bike. Total failure on their part and then top it off and put a cheap budget shock back there we can't even swap out.

·
Registered
719 Posts
My plan was to use the streetbox from hyperpro....progressive springs and new rear shock.....might be better rear shocks out there but for the price and my riding style and skill its not a bad price.
Ohlins rear shocks are nice but a little pricey

·
Registered
719 Posts
Anyone revalve the rear shock? After reading a little about the oem rear shock and hyperpro street box shock, thay are very similar units.
Ive seen the oem shock on ebay for about $45 and traxxion dynamics will revalve with new spring for about $350. Might be a better option to have a shock valved and with spring for my weight

·
Registered
156 Posts
Anyone revalve the rear shock? After reading a little about the oem rear shock and hyperpro street box shock, thay are very similar units.
Ive seen the oem shock on ebay for about $45 and traxxion dynamics will revalve with new spring for about $350. Might be a better option to have a shock valved and with spring for my weight

Thats pretty expensive at 400 for a shock that isn't that easy to strip down..for a bit extra get a nitron.
I'm looking to start into my plans for reworking the undertray etc this weekend to get a gsxr shock installed....i know it's awkward and might not work even after removing the battery support etc but I'd rather try and fail than have never tried.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts