GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anybody was able to get a new ecu for the jerky throttle in canada?

I'm sorry to write a new thread for that but didn't want to hijack any...

I contacted suzuki three time so far in the last 6 months and they saying that no recall has been available for our bike and they are not aware of the problem and it europe isn't the same thing than canada..

Could someone help me?

Could someonr from the us send me a log of the mail they had with suzuki us for the ecm replacement??

Thank you

·
Registered
719 Posts
replacing the ECU is NOT an absolute fix for the problem.......there are people on the tread that report no difference after new ECU. Someone even said it was worse. For suzuki to do a recall that means that they have identified a manufacturing process defect or coding defect.

If the snatchy throttle is a side effect of the emissions laws that govern how a bike is built then replacing the ECU is a waste of everyones time. Even the fuel map that comes with the bike may be secondary to some legal requirement they are trying to meet......Look at California. It is illegal to even sell certain power commanders there....Because it alters the fuel map.

Heck, maybe suzuki engineers like a snatchy throttle and dont want to change it.

Another possibility that nobody has mentioned is that it may not be related at all to the ECU, fuel cut or map.....the problem could be mechanical, i.e. a pure side effect of the way the fuel injectors chosen by suzuki work. If this is the case, then a true fix would require a complete or partial redesign of the bike engine to accept the upgraded/new design injectors....not likely to happen.

What if its a combination of things?

In any case a recall means them acknowlging a problem (versus a simple design choice) and that would be expensive........I would not hold my breath for a recall on the ECU.

I suspect the answer to the throttle issue will come when we start seeing a lot of 2017 or 2018 s without the problem and then examining the difference.

In the mean time, especially if you are planning mods, the most success for solving the issue seems to come from first: new fuel map (either reflash or PCV) second. disabling fuel cut and third, throttle tamer.

I did notice improvement after installing PCV with a stock map on a stock bike....enough that had the bike come like that I would not have included myself in the snatchy throttle group....I will admit that after PCV install it still is a TAD snatchy but now it is within the realm of reason for modern fuel injected bikes.

There have been some reports that adjusting TPS fixes the issue...did nothing for me......I personally can not endorse TPS adjustment for everyone as there seems to be too much variability regarding its success in addressing the throttle issue and the actual process

·
Registered
320 Posts
I thought the European spec bikes got a different ECU than North American bikes? That's why most people complaining about the jerky throttle are in Europe. My bike isn't jerky.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi Hasten.
Suzuki Canada maybe playing word games with you because there is NO RECALL, none zip zero. However due to problems with jerky , snatchy ride problems , i.e. my wife's helmet constantly smacking into mine , and I am MR Smooth on most bikes, that I asked Suzuki australia when can i get my replacement ecu because people on this forum told me they had got them . At first they said talk to your dealer . Then my dealer rang me to say i qualified for a replacement.I can't send my e-mail trail coz it's long deleted. But maybe if you can find the old thread i posted'' Suzuki is listening'' you could print off some of the comments from people given new ecu's. and send them to Suzuki Canada , every distributer in every country or district seems to handle this differently .Good luck . And after your help way back when i managed to figure out how to post pic's on this site !
If the worst is that Canada doesn't want to help , go directly to Suzuki Japan, I did this years ago with a Kawasaki problem went to Head office japan, and hey presto it was fixed . Good luck my foreign friend.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes they are completly playing with words, i'll have to go with the dealer route before anythinf else, suzuki said they don't do business with people, only with dealers

·
Registered
285 Posts
if your dealer is helpful they might be persuaded by you to look on the forum , find the thread suzuki is listening and be able to see that bikes all over the world have been fitted with replacement ecu's , good luck

·
Registered
141 Posts
+1 I called them and they never had a recall so can't/won't fix it
go to dealer and get them to say it needs a new ECU, only then will they send a new ECU for your bike, not for all bikes
many people riding these without a clue they have an issue, going WOT all the time they won't notice it much

·
Registered
285 Posts
+1 I called them and they never had a recall so can't/won't fix it
go to dealer and get them to say it needs a new ECU, only then will they send a new ECU for your bike, not for all bikes
many people riding these without a clue they have an issue, going WOT all the time they won't notice it much
exactly there is no recall , but there are lots of people with replaced ECU , mine worked a treat , different bike smooth and easy to ride ........

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have tried in Canada recently to not much avail. I installed a throttle tamer it helped, but around town between 2-3,500 RPM it is a jerky as a very badly carburated bike. Dealer called Suzuki CDN and they said they changed 1 in BC to not affect. Dealer took it for a ride and said jerky is normal on all GSX R and mine might be a bit more pronounced but not unheard of. :)
I will have another go shortly, they said they may adjust the TPS and see... i said get me a price for the new 2018 and see where it goes :(

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have tried in Canada recently to not much avail. I installed a throttle tamer it helped, but around town between 2-3,500 RPM it is a jerky as a very badly carburated bike. Dealer called Suzuki CDN and they said they changed 1 in BC to not affect. Dealer took it for a ride and said jerky is normal on all GSX R and mine might be a bit more pronounced but not unheard of. :)
I will have another go shortly, they said they may adjust the TPS and see... i said get me a price for the new 2018 and see where it goes :(
I'm not sure what everyone expects, but very few sport bikes are tuned to have perfect throttle response. I wouldn't jump ship to a 2018 and expect it to be that much different. It sounds like all you need is a proper dyno tune. If you don't have a shop nearby, you can try to tune a power commander yourself. I got a tuner pre-programmed from holeshot performance and it made a world of difference. 10 minute install, and I bet this cures your issues.

Holeshot Performance Products, Inc.

·
Registered
355 Posts
exactly there is no recall , but there are lots of people with replaced ECU , mine worked a treat , different bike smooth and easy to ride ........
This is also my experience. Bought mine in late 2015 and the ECM was replaced in 2016. I spoke directly to Suzuki NZ and it was replaced at their expense, no questions asked. Transformed the bike. Great service from Suzuki. Before the Suzuki, I had a Street Triple and it was subject to a recall to have the reg/rec replaced. Again, no fuss, no cost. Totally happy with the service I've received from manufacturers.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Replace the 02 sensor with an 02 eliminator , that’s what’s causing the surging

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yep, The O2 Sensor and check the TPS. If you have a newer bike without the C-- indicator when put in dealer mode, check your TPS. I will bet that the marked line from factory has been retarded for emissions purposes or the like. The TPS alone sorted out all the problems. But the O2 eliminator made it better than I would have expected so left the O2 eliminator on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've got an 18 plate. Had it for two weeks now and it's got 460 on the clock. Snatchy... Yes, but in the same way my 250 was more snatchy than my 125. I put it down to the engine size and adapted my riding style.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yep, The O2 Sensor and check the TPS. If you have a newer bike without the C-- indicator when put in dealer mode, check your TPS. I will bet that the marked line from factory has been retarded for emissions purposes or the like. The TPS alone sorted out all the problems. But the O2 eliminator made it better than I would have expected so left the O2 eliminator on.
If I'm not mistaken it's the 2018 that suzuki took the -C indicator away 16-17 has it for the tps.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yep, from what I have seen. But, even with my 2016 which has the indicator on dealer mode, someone in the post inspection did mark the correct alignment then retarded it. After aligning the sharpie mark made by the factory, the C indicator read C--. So i bet, you can guestimate the correct TPS by aligning the marks. Worth a try. Its free and only costs 10 minutes if you know what you are doing

·
Banned
678 Posts
Yes the paint mark on the tps is close enough. I was only out a small amount after aligning the c-- note which was right on the paint mark. The refining by voltage didn't make any additional noticeable change, just ocd satisfaction.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts