GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to a combination of increasing age and old sports injuries catching up with me when I owned my Honda Blackbird a few years back, I fitted an aftermarket footpeg lowering kit. It only drops the peg height by around 20mm or thereabouts but made a significant difference to comfort levels.

Cycling regularly has kept the knees in reasonable condition in the meantime but I find on the Suzuki that above 500-600 km days, they get fairly sore. How many others of a “mature” disposition or with knee issues have this problem?

I’m reasonably confident that the Blackbird lowering kit will fit the Suzuki without too much fiddling about. There seems to be sufficient adjustment on the gearchange rod and brake clevis thread to allow for repositioning. The kit is not all that expensive at 35 pounds plus postage from the UK so might take a chance. The photos show the components when I fitted them to the ‘bird.

Anyone in the same position as me and interested in how it goes if I go ahead?

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
Reactions: Kiwi Geoff

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've used these kits before. They fit great and they adjust 360 degrees. It's a nice option, you can move the peg forward or back, up or down. Foot Peg Lowering Kit. Wild Hair Accessories. Motorcycle Accessories & Aftermarket European Parts.
Thanks for that option :) . They're a bit more expensive than the kit I'm currently looking at from the Blackbird site: (Jaws Blackbirds. Motorcycle parts supplys for the Blackbird) as they seem to have the pegs with them too - nice looking quality. Wild Hair advertise for the "F", but assume they fit the S too.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Due to a combination of increasing age and old sports injuries catching up with me when I owned my Honda Blackbird a few years back, I fitted an aftermarket footpeg lowering kit. It only drops the peg height by around 20mm or thereabouts but made a significant difference to comfort levels.

Cycling regularly has kept the knees in reasonable condition in the meantime but I find on the Suzuki that above 500-600 km days, they get fairly sore. How many others of a “mature” disposition or with knee issues have this problem?

I’m reasonably confident that the Blackbird lowering kit will fit the Suzuki without too much fiddling about. There seems to be sufficient adjustment on the gearchange rod and brake clevis thread to allow for repositioning. The kit is not all that expensive at 35 pounds plus postage from the UK so might take a chance. The photos show the components when I fitted them to the ‘bird.

Anyone in the same position as me and interested in how it goes if I go ahead?
I have the same issue. A fellow I know told me he has used Buell foot pegs to lower the pegs on several different bikes. That would take a little grinding / fiddling to get done, so I'm all ears if there is an easier way.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the same issue. A fellow I know told me he has used Buell foot pegs to lower the pegs on several different bikes. That would take a little grinding / fiddling to get done, so I'm all ears if there is an easier way.
Some of the Blackbird riders adapted Buell pegs before the brackets in the photo became available. The parts which Thumper07 showed look well-made so will now have to chew over whether to try the cheaper brackets or go for the whole assembly! On the Blackbird, I had to hacksaw a few mm off the bottom of the brake clevis pin so that it didn't foul the lowered brake arm. However, it didn't require much off and could still be returned to standard. Looking at the Suzuki setup, I'd imagine that the same will apply.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i think lowering the pegs is always a slippery slope, you accomplish the same thing by putting additional padding into the seat as you do lowering pegs but that way you don't compromise ground clearance. i guess it depends on what type of riding you do and how much lean angle you use. for me, i'll never lower pegs if for no other reason i don't want to be thinking about scraping them in the tight stuff; enough to focus on when riding than having to worry about ground clearance. i am on the tall side as well, but so far i'm pretty impressed by the seating triangle on such a small and nimble bike.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think lowering the pegs is always a slippery slope, you accomplish the same thing by putting additional padding into the seat as you do lowering pegs but that way you don't compromise ground clearance.
Not if you're a shortarse like me :D . I'm used to "pressing on" a bit but never had a problem with the Blackbird, albeit with shortened hero blobs.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I see your point rebobd, and would agree if I was using this as a track bike, but I'm not. I can lower the pegs an inch or more, take off the 2 inch long "feelers" from the pegs and still be fine on the street. If I get to the point where I am skimming the toe sliders or my knee again regularly I'll get another R6 or GSXR, but I've had enough of that for a while and like to be comfy. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a B-king before the gsx-s and bought an all-in-one lowering peg from eBay for it. When I sold it I put the stock pegs back on and have since fitted the lowered pegs straight onto the s without any modification required.

·
Registered
333 Posts
used this as rear peg on 1000k8

Reactions: DenverYZF

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I had a B-king before the gsx-s and bought an all-in-one lowering peg from eBay for it. When I sold it I put the stock pegs back on and have since fitted the lowered pegs straight onto the s without any modification required.
Fantastic news thanks! So you didn't have to cut anything off the brake clevis pin to reposition the brake pedal?

used this as rear peg on 1000k8

Nice looking pegs - thank you for sharing!

·
Registered
333 Posts
it s plesure Sir ! ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
There is no need to remove or shorten Hero Blogs/ Feelers; they wear naturally to reflect how you ride.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts