GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Learning as I go but I have decided I am not a fan of the Suzuki fasteners ( soft ) and the way they attach the plastics. I just tried to removed the rear hugger to put the Pyramid Extension on .... I stripped out the top fastener in a heartbeat. Not sure how I am going to remove it as of yet at this point. Plus the two on the side really won’t come out unless I remove the rear tire. Brand new bike and never ridden so the fasteners are new and clean ...
Oh well rant over

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I put my extender on the bike without any removal of parts, just oh so careful with the drill.
I got pissed and ruined the OEM hugger and still don’t have the bolt out
What a joke set up.
I am not bashing the brand as a whole but Kawasaki is years ahead of them with fasteners selection and how they attach the plastic.

·
Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
1,542 Posts
I shortened an Allen key to get at the side bolts.
Strange about the top bolt, never had a problem with it . Sounds like a Helicoil job.
I put a bit of grease on all screws that go into alloy as a matter of course.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They use button head bolts that are a weak design as is then use soft metal ....not a good combination

·
Registered
10 Posts
Funny you are going on about Suzuki hardware, when it was the crap quality that the 2017 Z900 I had being part of the reason I rid myself of it. Honestly, I could make out a list of abysmalness of that bike, but I don't. And didn't on the Z900 forum.

Here's a thought, stop touching the bike, just ride the bike, and be happy.....

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Point taken and actually wished I could ride.
Sorry for venting .......
I had to remove the rear wheel and destroyed the OEM hugger. Two of the bolts had scary amount of loctite and the third had none. Now I need to buy a new hugger ....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Learning as I go but I have decided I am not a fan of the Suzuki fasteners ( soft ) and the way they attach the plastics. I just tried to removed the rear hugger to put the Pyramid Extension on .... I stripped out the top fastener in a heartbeat. Not sure how I am going to remove it as of yet at this point. Plus the two on the side really won’t come out unless I remove the rear tire. Brand new bike and never ridden so the fasteners are new and clean ...
Oh well rant over
I don’t consider your post as a rant. I appreciate knowing the things to look out for on a bike when I’m working on it. If people don’t learn things to watch out for, then we will all end up making the same mistakes.

·
Registered
2018 Blue/Black F
76 Posts
Kawasaki is years ahead of them with fasteners selection and how they attach the plastic.
I had a 2015 ZX14 and removing the plastics from that was a full day’s work! That was total BS.

I tried removing the hugger a few weeks ago and stopped because I had concerns for the two bolts that are saturated in thread locker. Had to take the back wheel out today which gave me direct access to those bolts. That made all the difference as I was able to use a straight allen key with a socket/ratchet and I could ‘feel’ what was going on.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had to take the back wheel out today which gave me direct access to those bolts. That made all the difference as I was able to use a straight allen key with a socket/ratchet and I could ‘feel’ what was going on.
Taking the back wheel off is important and I would suggest to anyone they do that first before touching the bolts. For me it was to late as I had stripped the hex out of the bolts. I ended up cutting the inner fender off and had to order a new one.

·
Registered
2018 Blue/Black F
76 Posts
For me it was to late as I had stripped the hex out of the bolts.
It was only from a similar experience I stopped and waited till I had clear access to those bolts. From experience I also learned to clean out the Allen head before trying to undo the bolt. A small amount of dirt will prevent full penetration of the key and it’ll easily round over. Not a big fan of allen bolts.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got pissed and ruined the OEM hugger and still don’t have the bolt out
What a joke set up.
I am not bashing the brand as a whole but Kawasaki is years ahead of them with fasteners selection and how they attach the plastic.
A couple weeks after ordering I get an email stating inner fender on nation wide back order. I called a few places with none in stock. I just bought a used one off eBay for twice the price lol
Lesson learned

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Obviously underestimated how many people would want to remove their hugger.

Or too impatient like myself to remove the rear wheel to do it...... If I had just used the sticky tape for the extender but I prefer to rivet it on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts