GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I am considering the 2022 S1000 vs the 2020 Katana. The Katana 2020 is still in stock brand new (some with minimal mileage on) for about $17K. The 2022 GSX-S1000 is around $21K.

At these price points, would you say the Katana is the better purchase? My major gripe is the fuel capacity, however I am unsure just how "annoying" that will be.

I also have a question about these bikes - do you think it suits the following usage? I will mainly be riding in town / some twisties around in nothern Norway. There are basically no highways here. I want to be able to ride two up for about 1hr30m to get to our cabin and trips of similar length. Not planning to do any touring on the bike. I'm 6'4 / 192cm tall. Is there any difference in ergonomics that makes one more suitable for taller riders?

Thanks a lot for your input!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
theres also a Facebook gsxs1000 group you can join for even more info. I hope you get your info. im 5'8 I was going to comment a big paragraph as I owned 2018 gsxs naked, and 2022 gsxs1000 gt and I sat on katana, but im too short to really give any info beneficial to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
theres also a Facebook gsxs1000 group you can join for even more info. I hope you get your info. im 5'8 I was going to comment a big paragraph as I owned 2018 gsxs naked, and 2022 gsxs1000 gt and I sat on katana, but im too short to really give any info beneficial to you.
Thank you. Unfortunately I don't have facebook. I'd be happy to hear your opinion on those bikes. I was considering the 2022GT as well, although its just about outside my price range. But it does offer a lot of practicality...

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I sold my gsxs1000 naked and bought the gt. I dont know about pricing, but it was only 2k more than the naked new here. and that 2k... goes a long way I couldn't own a naked one again. but if you just play in twisties and weekend riding, naked is fine.

but the gt is just more comfortable, feels pretty much as same nimbleness, but I can actually comfortably cruise on highway now. (that said im 5'8) and the stock windscreen is perfect for me, taller guys are changing out the GT's windshields.

THAT SAID.

Gsxs1000 naked, was extremely comfortable, I enjoyed it, I just got tired of no wind protection, which is inherent of a naked bike. they are great bikes, I would lie to say they aren't, but the new models are vastly improved.

the new 2021 should have butter smooth throttle, they fixed the issues that plagued the previous models in terms of fueling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I sold my gsxs1000 naked and bought the gt. I dont know about pricing, but it was only 2k more than the naked new here. and that 2k... goes a long way I couldn't own a naked one again. but if you just play in twisties and weekend riding, naked is fine.

but the gt is just more comfortable, feels pretty much as same nimbleness, but I can actually comfortably cruise on highway now. (that said im 5'8) and the stock windscreen is perfect for me, taller guys are changing out the GT's windshields.

THAT SAID.

Gsxs1000 naked, was extremely comfortable, I enjoyed it, I just got tired of no wind protection, which is inherent of a naked bike. they are great bikes, I would lie to say they aren't, but the new models are vastly improved.

the new 2021 should have butter smooth throttle, they fixed the issues that plagued the previous models in terms of fueling.
Thank you for your input. I'll have to take another look at the GT. It can be had for just $1,5K extra as of right now compared to the non GT. I also really like the screen upgrade. Here in Norway we never go faster than 100km/t (and even that is rare). So I've been thinking fairings aren't that important. Not sure how the difference would feel, never ridden a fully naked bike before.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
aftermarket windshields are coming out, many are already out, if you dont like the stock one, you can get aftermarket for 100-150 in whatever flavor or form you want.

for 1.5k

id pay for the GT. you get a lot of bang for the buck. and also, if one day in future you even want a pair of bags, can always get the additional stuff or get the GT+ and just keep bags off.

I personally love my bags. Lol sounds dumb, but I didn't want them, used them, and now I fricken love em

·
Registered
2020 Suzuki Katana 1000
58 Posts
I own a 2020 Katana and ride it only on local twisties. So, the fuel tank capacity is not an issue
but, If you do any hard riding for more than 2 hrs, fuel tank capacity will be an issue.

If you prioritize single twisty riding a lot, and don't mind the lack of quick shifter, I would recommend the older Katana.
You can use the saved money to get 190/55 tire, a steering damper, brembo master cylinder, a new rear shock and a tune.
Could even slip in a new clip-ons and rear sets to change ergos.

If you ditch, the rear plate holder, you can easily save ~10lbs of weight
Which will bring it on par with any new modern naked out there.
Compared to older GSXS, Katana has taller seat (~0.5 inch), 1.5 inch wider handlebar, 11lbs heavier and more comfortable passenger seat.

If you prioritize comfort and long touring and occasional twisties, the newer GT is probably better.
Compared to the 2020 Katana, the newer GT makes less wheel hp (~130 vs ~140), 24 lbs heavier, has rubber pegs and lower cams/narrower throttle bodies. (which would affect tuning).

·
Registered
16 Posts
For what it's worth - I think the Katana is not the bike you are looking for. The fuel tank thing is an issue if you do long trips. As I only ride 20km a day to uni/work - I just fill up once a week, usually about 8L. Going out of the city I have to bring a 5L jerry can in my backpack (dangerous).

The Katana is uncomfortable on a good day, whilst the seat is fine in the city, once you are sitting on it for 30 minus your arse is numb. The handlebars will make your fingers tingle unless you fit soft grips.

I'd highly recommend the GT - or something that has the fairing. I also think the naked GSXS1000 actually looks cooler and more modern than the Katana.
The retro look is cool but it just looks bland IMO.

I only got the katana because I paid essentially 40% of the brand new cost as the guy was trying to get rid of it in the middle of a recession/pandemic here. Anyone who pays what Suzuki is asking ($21,990 here in Australia) needs to get their head looked at. Mind you when Honda are asking $52+k for a new gold wing you know the worlds gone crazy!

·
Registered
2016 f
690 Posts
I own a 2020 Katana and ride it only on local twisties. So, the fuel tank capacity is not an issue
but, If you do any hard riding for more than 2 hrs, fuel tank capacity will be an issue.

If you prioritize single twisty riding a lot, and don't mind the lack of quick shifter, I would recommend the older Katana.
You can use the saved money to get 190/55 tire, a steering damper, brembo master cylinder, a new rear shock and a tune.
Could even slip in a new clip-ons and rear sets to change ergos.

If you ditch, the rear plate holder, you can easily save ~10lbs of weight
Which will bring it on par with any new modern naked out there.
Compared to older GSXS, Katana has taller seat (~0.5 inch), 1.5 inch wider handlebar, 11lbs heavier and more comfortable passenger seat.

If you prioritize comfort and long touring and occasional twisties, the newer GT is probably better.
Compared to the 2020 Katana, the newer GT makes less wheel hp (~130 vs ~140), 24 lbs heavier, has rubber pegs and lower cams/narrower throttle bodies. (which would affect tuning).
i didnt know the new gt had smaller bore throttle bodies

1 - 12 of 12 Posts