GSXS 1000 Forum banner

Suzuki Touring Screen - worse?!

8K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  G-Dub 
#1 ·
I'm just wondering if anyone else has retro-fitted the official Suzuki touring screen to the F? Because I picked one up 2nd hand, fitted it, and... I'm a bit flumoxed by this but... I swear it's worse. By that, I mean that the wind noise around my helmet is significantly worse than it was before.

Now I plan on reverting back to the standard screen just to verify, which I'll get round to at some point, but... I can't be the only one to discover this, if it's true, can I?

I'm not particularly tall, 5ft 7 or so. If I scooch down race-style, behind the screen, then yes - everything is great - but this really isn't the point of the screen... and I look a complete knob-end doing so. In a normal, comfortable ride position I am getting battered by wind compared to the normal short screen...

That's how it feels anyway, I'll swap back and confirm, but before I get chance to do that, maybe someone has had a similar experience and can tell me I'm not going mad!

#2 ·
This can be very common with larger screens causing wind buffering around the helmet, my Vstrom touring screen gives great wind protection but is very noisy unless I lower my head about an inch or so where it becomes almost silent

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys - at least I'm not going mad then. I'll regress back to the original and check my findings. If so, I wonder what the intention is for the larger screen - what did Suzuki have in mind for it? In what way is it any better? Does it just keep rain of your lower body, at the expense of chucking it all "in your face"?!?! As you say in your post linked above, the buffeting around my head is quite unbearable - and we are talking normal, legal speeds here, 70mph and less... :(

#5 ·
I had the same effect on my old Kawi 750. I put a flip up after market screen on and the wind buffet used to hit just under my lid. It rang the helmet like a bell at 60 and it felt like your eardrums were going to burst.
I ended up taking a hot knife to it and chopped an inch of the top. The wind buffet then dropped to my shoulders and my helmet was back in a clean airflow again.
At 5'7 have you considered maybe sitting on a cussion:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.