GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice that Suzuki is fitting a slipper clutch to the new model bike. The cynic in me thinks that one motivation for doing this is to soften the driveline thrash that people are complaining about (the on/off throttle, etc.). If the bike essentially freewheels when you back off the gas, then you won't feel the fuel-cut. Of course, you'll still get a hit when you get back on the gas, but it seems like a slipper would get rid of half the "problem", or at least the perception of a problem from a number of riders. It's true that with a TPS adjustment and some careful fuelling, that the current bike can be made to feel a lot smoother at low RPMs, but doing this will likely defeat the required emissions target. A slight retune and the addition of a slipper clutch could well allow Suzuki to keep the bike in strict emissions regulations, and provide riders the experience they expect. Comments, anyone?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Cant see that at all, not at low rpms, slipper clutch only works at high torque high revs, as far as I know.

Nothing wrong with my fueling as standard, sure its very very responsive but nothing you dont get used to with time, or experience.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Slipper clutch has no effect on the throttle response when slowing down. Thumper is correct, high torque/high rpm situations activate when down shifting and the wheel and engine speeds dont quite match...the slipper will prevent the hard jerk.....2015-2016 had a type of slipper anyways ("back torque limiting" i believe was the term used). It willhave no effect whatsoever on emissions or fueling.

a really good fuel map provides smoothness, efficiency and hopefully power. Balancing all 3 is not that easy, thats why time on a dyno with a good tuner is expensive. Some people get better mileage after their tune but if you added exhaust/air filter dont expect better milage-->more air means more fuel to be burned

·
Registered
415 Posts
At at track day I would have loved a slipper clutch. I had a number of rear end lock ups on fast downshift. It would be an improvement and if it's within reason I would consider swapping out the old clutch for the slipper unit.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I wonder if its just an upgrade they can do for a sales feature at almost no extra cost to them.

·
Registered
566 Posts
You already have a built in slipper clutch, it's your left hand.

I have always and still to this day rely on my left hand verses the mechanical slipper on modern bikes. On the liter bikes that are raced most dial out the extreme amount the factory slippers produce. Some add more, but all the ones from way back before this device come on the scene use their left hand as clutch control.

·
Registered
285 Posts
loads of stuff is chinese whispers , slipper dipper clutch for new model , well all the aussie reviews of this bike said it was fitted a with a back torque limiting clutch already, which is what my SV1000S had, no its not the million dollar solution but hey it works . Will the new model have a slipper ? Or is it just PR speak to inform people of what we already have?Which works a treat , despite what some may comment, until the local track was shut by Government bull...t interference i ran nearly 6000k's at the track , and never had any issues with rear wheel lock up due to fast downshifts at high speed .

·
Registered
285 Posts
At at track day I would have loved a slipper clutch. I had a number of rear end lock ups on fast downshift. It would be an improvement and if it's within reason I would consider swapping out the old clutch for the slipper unit.
sorry but find this very hard to believe !!! You may have been changing down hard and using rear brake at the same time thus forcing a lock up , I don't use rear at all for hard braking /downshifting combo and i have never had a hint of rear wheel lock up ever , in over 6000k's of track time !!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Did two track days on the gsxs and zx10 this weekend. I was using rs10's on the gsxs and dunlop n tech slicks in the zx. The rs10, downshifting aggressively would get a little rear slippage, but nothing uncontrollable. Once it happened the first time I was expecting it every time I would enter section of track that required hard downshifting. I found it quite manageable. On a side note, I was scraping my kick stand and pegs.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm sure the motivation to add a slipper clutch is to keep up with the Joneses (Z1000, FZ-10). For everyday street riding, I'm not sure I'd see the benefits of it riding on the street. But if I was at the track, I might like it.
My 701 has a slipper clutch, it is smoother in the twisties while riding spirited but I have just as much fun on the Suzuki.

·
Registered
415 Posts
sorry but find this very hard to believe !!! You may have been changing down hard and using rear brake at the same time thus forcing a lock up , I don't use rear at all for hard braking /downshifting combo and i have never had a hint of rear wheel lock up ever , in over 6000k's of track time !!
Bully for you. Front only, rear locking up under fast downshifts, end of story. Don't second guess someone you don't know and propose silly reasons.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Bully for you. Front only, rear locking up under fast downshifts, end of story. Don't second guess someone you don't know and propose silly reasons.
you are right , I don't know you ,that's why i was wondering if you were provoking a lock up by rear brake use, which is not a silly reason , it can cause the problem.Lot's of people do out of habit use rear, and for them it takes a little getting used to not doing that, so with out wishing to incur your wrath , will ask , what tyre pressure were you using ?
Not taking the piss , just trying to help . You need much lower cold pressure than normal as at the track the rear will build up huge heat, which increases the pressure and makes the rear more prone to slip and or lock up hop/skip.Again as far as i am aware this bike is fitted with a torque back limiting clutch , so to get rear lock up is strange . There is a post on this thread from a user Obijack, post #9 , on his track time on the GSXS and he experienced a little ''skip'' as he put it, but otherwise found it fine. If yours is not maybe a mechanic needs to look at it. PS I hope that otherwise your track time was a hoot !

·
Registered
415 Posts
4tune8, apologies for the snarky response. I know about tyre pressures, suspension set up for the track etc. It's not my first time. I was suprised that I was able to elicit a lock up, but there you go. I was going from 3rd or 4th near redline to 1st into a low speed hairpin. It's both possible and annoying.

The inclusion of a slipper clutch is a good advancement on the model at little cost, same with the new tune that increases the horsepower. Since the new gsxr has just come out with a bevy of new tech for Suzuki, I would expect that in the next few years the gixxes will be also upgraded.

·
Registered
285 Posts
4tune8, apologies for the snarky response. I know about tyre pressures, suspension set up for the track etc. It's not my first time. I was suprised that I was able to elicit a lock up, but there you go. I was going from 3rd or 4th near redline to 1st into a low speed hairpin. It's both possible and annoying.

The inclusion of a slipper clutch is a good advancement on the model at little cost, same with the new tune that increases the horsepower. Since the new gsxr has just come out with a bevy of new tech for Suzuki, I would expect that in the next few years the gixxes will be also upgraded.
All good, the reason i get so much track time is i ride as a marshall with a track day company. I am with novice and intermediate /slow riders all day long .often 300 to350k's per day. I do not give any instruction but do answer a lot of questions , give advice , and most importantly keep the groups as safe as possible. The little i do know comes from a zillion k's in the saddle and from doing at a very advanced age the californian super bike school , their teaching involves going back to absolute basics and then going forward, so my habit now is to go to the most obvious simple things first and keep eliminating stuff in the process of getting an answer /result. From what you say I guess you were riding very hard, and the limitations of a back torque reducing clutch were becoming apparent,not to worry , just go hard and enjoy the ride, it's often more fun to ride the wheels off something and show a clean pair of heels to a very costly machine on something a little basic than just being out front cos you can afford it. I always get a big grin leaving the so called super bikes in my wake at the end of the day.Not allowed to do it at the start of the day.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts