GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Has anyone got pictures of the SW motech blaze panniers on their bike that has a R&G tail tidy fitted with stock indicators. I’m looking at getting a set of the bags for an upcoming trip and don’t want to spend money on it if it’s not going to fit
Thanks in advance.
G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, I'm not really active. There are a few pictures of mine. The bags are not expanded on any of the pictures,for 3-day trips they were enough standard. On the second pic the bags needed some tightening.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
430 Posts
what did you use between the bags and the tails plastic to not have the bags rivers eat away the paint/plastic? They have a clear sheet but I was thinking of using a tank protector like the snakeskin pads to protect it. I can put the snakeskin on the bag instead of on the tail.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just installed them this weekend, I can not really say about how they work because I just installed them and didn't really test them...

In my case, I'm a bit worried about the blinkers, as there is contact between them and the bags... I might have to change them...

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
what did you use between the bags and the tails plastic to not have the bags rivers eat away the paint/plastic? They have a clear sheet but I was thinking of using a tank protector like the snakeskin pads to protect it. I can put the snakeskin on the bag instead of on the tail.
I already had 3M protective film on the plastics. SW Motech supplies the same with the bag. I'm using this setup maybe twice a year - with two little kids I'm not touring a lot - so it should be enough.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I already had 3M protective film on the plastics. SW Motech supplies the same with the bag. I'm using this setup maybe twice a year - with two little kids I'm not touring a lot - so it should be enough.

I was worried since i noticed the bags rivets sat right on the edge of the plastic thus digging into it with the roads vibrations.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't think that would work. Just thinking about it logically, anything rubbing on the paint (even snakeskin) would tend to rub it off. Putting the protectant on the paint itself would provide a barrier to anything rubbing against it. You'll have to adhere it to the actual bodywork. Personally I'm going to try the film that came with the bags but I've heard it doesn't stick well so probably going to go with 3M.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I see your point and I agree. Yes the 3M might be a better solution on the bodywork directly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
I thought the Blaze design's purpose was to keep the saddlebags away from the bodywork, but now I see they just keep the bags away from the wheel. Too bad, but it does make me feel a little better about going the Ventura option:

(Note: I don't have the rear rack & sissy bar as is in the video--just a little grab bar that
connects left & right support arms.)

The price on the Venturas caught me off guard. Initially, I just ordered the saddlebag frames and it was a day later that I realized I needed the mounting arms and a little grab handle at the rear. The price came to $443. THEN I was sorry I had not ordered the Blaze. Too late & I don't hate the Venturas. True, the Ventura has the mounts on there whether you need them or not--a show-stopper for many. And the bags don't hold that much. But I figure that were I to want super large saddlebags, I could just throw some over the seat and the Ventura saddlebag frames would support them pretty well. For normal use, I mount just one saddlebag filled with tire repair stuff.

But were I to do it over again? The Blaze option would probably be my pick.

·
Registered
154 Posts
How much were the clip in supports and details as to how and where to buy. The system looks good. I have a set of Tourmaster bags that I would like to use but need to buy the supports. Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
The Blaze is great, but one needs to properly cover the whole area in protective film where the bags could rub. I have OEM protective film, but it doesn't cover the whole plastic and where it doesn't, the paint has already started to come off. To be fair it was after an eventful 4-day tour - me and my whole bike got soaking wet multiple times every single day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts