GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all . Been getting gear together for my upcoming Isle Of Man trip in June . Doing it a bit at a time , camping gear , ferry crossing , camp site ect . I had the tank bag from my K5 , the tail pack i bought this week with the proviso i could return it if it was too big for the bike . Its only stuffed with pillows to hold aits shape in the pictures and perched on the rear seat , but with the addition of a renntec grab rail ( ordered ) to secure it to i think its going to work well , 50 litre main bag , 20 litre tent bag on top , and 14/20 litre tank bag . Also spoke to the guys at the dealer about me fitting PC5 and black widdow headers and they're going to custom map it . Right then , more overtime !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
😀😀 I keep thinking about picking one up , but I've used that method for years and I can get it on the axle stands so easy on my own , ( line one side up , push it towards that side , while lifting under seat and tap this side in with toe . ) now the secrets out they'll be all over the MotoGP paddoc ! 😀

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
That's the SW-Motech cargo bag isn't it? You don't need grab rails to keep it down. It tethers down perfectly using the passenger pegs and plate/blinker tail piece. ... oh wait... you have tidy tail. It still might work. I don't and it anchors very securely.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your probably right . It'll anchor down quite well . But with the grab rail it'll give me an upstand behind the bag and a bit more lateral support under it . I'll post a pic when it turned up 😀

·
Registered
33 Posts
You can also post stuff to the campsite - I stayed at Silly Moos.

I sent the big sleeping bag and inflatable pillow by post to the campsite. Also included another postal bag and some tape, so as to have a postal bag ready addressed to send it home. Depends what time your ferry leaves on your last day - but plenty of people do it.

The Motech looks good - I have a similar looking but smaller/cheaper version - but not used it for camping trips yet. But definitely looking at the same setup as you - maybe a Rentec wrack to put the tent roll on.

Looks good.

(quick hotel trip soon after buying the bike )

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Going on 3rd June ( mad Sunday ) but can't get back till following Monday , I do have the offer of the boss's mate taking a bag for me , I might use that offer to get some souvenirs back . Just trying to be as self reliant as I can for worse case scenario . I did wonder about the renntec rack but trying to keep the weight within the wheelbase . The tail pack on yours looks very similar to mine without the tent bag . Looking forward to the trip , starting to feel real now 😬

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bet you are looking forward to it ! - boat tickets are like gold dust !

I went last year on my old CBR Fireblade - I would have the suspension fettled a bit next time, as the Isle of Man can be quite bumpy (more than I am used to) and also travelling at a fair pace in places.

JHS Racing in Bristol do a static suspension setup for about £40. They adjust the damping and rebound settings, back and front. It might be worth having that looked at 'cause it is a bit bumpy in the Isle of Man and you could be travelling a bit quick at times (no speed limits in a lot of places ).

Not jealous at all !

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've wanted to go for years , then I realised the only thing stopping me was me ! My husband said just go , he's into bikes but not so much racing , so I'm doing it !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts