GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Team,

I've not long had my 2017 gsxs1000 long and just noticed that there are no notches so i can adjust the wheel/axle squarely.. Has anyone else noticed this on their bike? If so, any ideas for a fix?.

I've never seen these not on a bike before?...What a pain in the arse.. :|

Cheers,
Gary

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Team,

I've not long had my 2017 gsxs1000 long and just noticed that there are no notches so i can adjust the wheel/axle squarely.. Has anyone else noticed this on their bike? If so, any ideas for a fix?.

I've never seen these not on a bike before?...What a pain in the arse.. /forum/images/DiscoverySport_net/smilies/tango_face_plain.png

Cheers,
Gary
Pretty sure it's on the side closer to the end of the bike. They're little long oval blind holes.

·
Registered
549 Posts
In theory, the 'notches' aren't really trust worthy anyway. They do make us feel better when they match on both sides though, don't they?
I learned to spin the wheel and look at where the chain rides on that rear sprocket (as you sit behind the bike.) If the chain is centered, you are golden. If the chain is closer on the LEFT or RIGHT side of the sprocket, you are not correct, regardless of what the swingarm marks 'say'. Gotta move the axle (one side or the other) in or out until you get the chain centered on the sprocket when you spin the wheel again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The notches are there. Adjusted the chain and went for a ride, I immediately noticed that something was different, bike would drop into lh bends but would require some effort for rh bends, let go of bars and would vere slight to the right. Checked the adjustment notches,seemed ok but there is about 5mm between the notches and the aluminium block can turn making the top and bottom different. Loosened axle nut, backed off RH adjuster less than 1mm, bike is tracking perfect now feels very neutral, let go of bars, runs dead straight. Unbelievable what as little as 1mm difference makes on this bike

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Hi Team,

I've never seen these not on a bike before?...What a pain in the arse.. :|

Cheers,
Gary
Hey Wessa, the deal is if you bought a "pre-owned" bike then the previous owner changed at least the rear sprocket to smaller, moving the rear axle back, thus covering up the notches. The notches are there! Check to see if the rear sprocket looks other than OEM.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Wessa, the deal is if you bought a "pre-owned" bike then the previous owner changed at least the rear sprocket to smaller, moving the rear axle back, thus covering up the notches. The notches are there! Check to see if the rear sprocket looks other than OEM.
Hi Rapido,

This is weird as the bike only has 4.5k klms on it and the sprocket is stock..
Im just a bit unsure why it looks as it does.

Thanks. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Weesa, Mine has the notches but as mentioned earlier they are only a guide, I got myself a small laser to align the wheel with the chain and that is simple to use and is reasonably accurate.
Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts