GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok since i have installed the T Rex link, i figured i would let every one in on the install.

Ill be the first to say that Tech support from T Rex, sucks. The part that they sell Does Not do what is stated. It is only lowered!
I wanted to be able to go from stock to an Inch lowered, but the adjustable link was too long to do so.
Fortunately, i have a full machine shop at my use and was able to achieve what i wanted.
The bike needs to be lowered while my other half gets used to it. It is going to be brought back up some,, know sure if oem height we be achieved but ill see if i can sneak it in!

Ok so here we go,, The instructions Do not say that you need the exhaust header,, But you have too
Now first pic is the link as purchased
Second pic it it modified with cut down Jam nuts and the same length as the oem
Third stock link before removal, with exhaust removed!
Forth, in place and set to 1 inch lowered
Fifth, exhaust reinstalled,,, Its tight, but i can adjust it with a modified 17mm wrench
This was not a hard job, nor was it easy. But if anyone else is looking to achieve Stock, to lowered this is what needs to be done.
If you just want lowered an inch it will work!

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not totally following why you had to do what you did, but I just bought the same link with hopes that I can use it to RAISE the rear. Since you've been thru it already, do you think it'll be possible? I assumed that the design was like most dogbones, in that longer link=lowering, and that if the T-rex link was too long to get any raising effect I could use thinner locknuts and/or cut the link down a bit. Never occurred to me there would be an issue with fouling the exhaust.

·
Registered
62 Posts
WHOA! Is that Jerry Garcia in the third image?!?!

If you have been successful in lowering the rear end an inch, then it might be advisable to lower the front end an inch as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not totally following why you had to do what you did, but I just bought the same link with hopes that I can use it to RAISE the rear. Since you've been thru it already, do you think it'll be possible? I assumed that the design was like most dogbones, in that longer link=lowering, and that if the T-rex link was too long to get any raising effect I could use thinner locknuts and/or cut the link down a bit. Never occurred to me there would be an issue with fouling the exhaust.
The link need to be shorter than the OEM to lower if, to raise the bike its fine.
As it was shipped to me it would only go down a 1/2 inch

1 - 8 of 8 Posts