GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any good touch up pens or how to bluff off a small scratch? I'm extremely pissed off after being really careful and covering the top of the tank as advised with a cloth, I still managed to get a small scratch on the upper fuel tank cover putting the meter panels back on. Why design and make something that is going to scratch paintwork on a panel that has to be removed probably for every service.

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts
Triton blue is an old colour so touch up paint availability is good. You could try a local automotive paint supplier, or paints4u offer a kit for £8.99. I'm going to take that panel off and get it colour matched as the candy red isn't readily available. Once I've repaired it, I plan on protecting it with some helicopter tape.

Attachments

·
Registered
515 Posts
Does anyone know of any good touch up pens or how to bluff off a small scratch? I'm extremely pissed off after being really careful and covering the top of the tank as advised with a cloth, I still managed to get a small scratch on the upper fuel tank cover putting the meter panels back on. Why design and make something that is going to scratch paintwork on a panel that has to be removed probably for every service.
I am fixing this EXACT scratch right now. Got paint from ColorRite. ColorRite Motorcycle Paint PN 4400 I believe. I just put the paint on and it is a perfect match. It is a bit blotchy going on even with a fine model painters brush but that is normal. In a few days I will buff it down with Meguiars Speed Glaze. It makes a very smooth even finish. Keep in mind it will never be perfect because it is a metalic but dang close. Feel free to PM me for more info on surface prep if you like. I used to do this all the time on my restored 73 Camaro with a $10k paint job. The reason this works is because one can cut down the single stage touch up paint and the catalyzed clear won't cut down hardly at all with mild polishes. Although, I am a bit worried about Suzuki's clear coat being thin. I will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Triton blue is an old colour so touch up paint availability is good. You could try a local automotive paint supplier, or paints4u offer a kit for £8.99. I'm going to take that panel off and get it colour matched as the candy red isn't readily available. Once I've repaired it, I plan on protecting it with some helicopter tape.
ColorRite has the candy red!

·
Registered
593 Posts
ColorRite has the candy red!
Yeah, I found it in the US before, hence why I said that it isn't readily available. (I think it was used on a previous model stateside). It's not worth the expense and hassle of international shipping when I can go to my local auto paint supplier and have it matched to the exact panel.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, this has annoyed me so much, I know it's not a big scratch but it's the fact it happened after trying to be so careful. I'll have a look at both those options and maybe see what the cost would be of a knew tank panel would even be. Martin what is helicopter tape, I've never heard of that before.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Helicopter tape is a generic term for protection film / tape. I heard that the name comes from its application on rotor blades, but I've never had that corroborated. Paint protection film, ventureshield, it's all designed to do the same job :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
My bike had it's 1st service last week. I trust my dealer/workshop, but I was sure to bring up the issue before I handed over the keys. I was relieved to hear that Suzuki Australia is stressing this fact that their training, and my local guy (while he hadn't done one before) was seemingly well prepared. I was even more relieved to pick up my bike in the same condition in which I left it.

The only problem is that I now need to fit my PCV, and I don't trust myself. Now that I've seen a fellow owner be careful and still damage the bike, I'm not sure I trust myself. Perhaps I'll get the shop to do it...?

·
Registered
515 Posts
My bike had it's 1st service last week. I trust my dealer/workshop, but I was sure to bring up the issue before I handed over the keys. I was relieved to hear that Suzuki Australia is stressing this fact that their training, and my local guy (while he hadn't done one before) was seemingly well prepared. I was even more relieved to pick up my bike in the same condition in which I left it.

The only problem is that I now need to fit my PCV, and I don't trust myself. Now that I've seen a fellow owner be careful and still damage the bike, I'm not sure I trust myself. Perhaps I'll get the shop to do it...?
It really is a messed up process. I will go on record saying that Suzuki will re-design this fairing on a later update.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

From what I understand the mechanics in the shop can do it just the same....It was after fitting my PCV that I done mine putting the meter panels back in. I think a really thick heavy towel needs to be used and really well squeezed down around the tank and for added measure when the meter panels are off you could stick a bit of rubber or foam around the underside of the offending clip that does the damage.

It really is a messed up process. I will go on record saying that Suzuki will re-design this fairing on a later update.
I think you could be right, it's a horrendous design and I can imagine there will be a lot of dealer mechanics will scratch the tank too.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I was happy to find out that the tech at my dealer had already learned the right way (the hard way) to remove and replace the panels on another bike. This has to be a real common occurrence, even among experienced people.

Here is how he taped mine to prevent scratching. I don't know if it prevented it or if he now knows the proper technique.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
A lot of guys scratching their tanks in this same location. I placed 2 layers of duct tape at this location of the tank and it does a better job than a rag and stays put. Just don't rub it down hard so it's easier to remove

·
Registered
451 Posts
Martin, your response of "helicopter tape" makes me want to ask this question..OK, so what do the Helicopter rotor blades hit ? I'm thinking things like insects and dirt in the air? It does make sense as that stuff is so strong and light.

I ended up covering most of my paint with various brands of this stuff. I considered professionally made kits, but its really not necessary. The high quality Vetureshield goes on and a is almost invisible. No need for precision cuts.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I wish my dealer had read this post before they serviced my bike.
It might have saved them a scratched tank panel and paying for a replacement;)

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread, does this tank scratch only happen with F models? From the looks of it, the naked doesn't have the hook that can scratch the tank cover, am I right about that?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I wish my dealer had read this post before they serviced my bike.
It might have saved them a scratched tank panel and paying for a replacement;)
Mine dealer did same, they ordered a new tank cowl, its goes around $130 retail.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts