GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone removed the factory tank stickers? If so, how? I want mine off but am afraid of messing up the paint on my grey. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I scratched the crap out of it with my nails then wax and grease removed all the sticky residue.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just don't want to mess up the matte finish. If it was gloss I wouldn't be so worried. Thanks guys

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi mate. Mine was a pain in the phooking arse. Hairdryer did ****....
Soaked them with wd40, then using a credit card skimmed them off.
Light polish afterwards, not a mark on it - promise!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was struggling to get the stickers off then the glue stuff it left . Wife came over and said "nail polish remover!" Off she went cotton wool and nail polish remover came of in seconds ! Bless her ......

·
Registered
117 Posts
I used hair dryer to soften stickers, you can then peel off with finger nail, to finish off I used label remover to remove any remaining adhesive, can get label remover from any hardware store or craft shop. :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Easiest way is a little bit of petrol, A petrol tank must be designed to take a little petrol? : - ) Sticker just peels off.

Put a little on a cloth rub over the stickers leave for a little while then rub again with fresh petrol on the cloth, hey presto sticker free tank.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I used the hair dryer on my Matt Gray Suzy. I removed several stickers, tank, frame...

Reactions: Detroitdawg

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had the dealer to remove it and put on a tank pad. I thought "They mess it up, they fix it". I saw them use a hot air gun(google translation). No problem with the paint as they had to try the pad three times to get it right.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Light heat with a hair dryer using a PLASTIC razor blade, and automotive goo gone for adhesive removal (safe for almost all finishes as I believe it is citrus based). This is the safest way possible!

BTW, to the guy using finger nail polish remover, that is acetone. Be very careful around thermoplastics and non-catalyzed paints. It will F them up real quick. Might even dull a catalyzed paint. Be careful.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Reviving the old thread thougth I'd share my method.

After 3 months I've decided to remove the white sticker warning me about petrol, which was in German (adding insult to injury). Got it right off with the good old haridryer + plastic card combo but some sticky glue remained. Spraying the glue generously with WD40 and gently wiping with the microfiber cloth I use for visor cleaning it came off cleanly, not a single mark left.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I used a hair blower and a credit card, the thing is be gentle and take your time. I used gas to get rid of the glue once again be gentle, you don't want to rub the clear coat off.

·
Registered
79 Posts
my dealer didnt even put mine on.
They put them on do they! Next purchase I'm only agreeing to if they promise they wont go on!! Bloody annoying job on every new bike....

I used hairdryer and nails, followed by wd40 to remove residue, on my gloss paint. I assume the same would work for matt as lots of people use wd40 to clean their matt paint work anyway.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts