GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks. Been a few months but the midwest in the states has not been conducive to riding. Until now.

Today, I filled the tank. It showed two bars maybe? when I stopped for gas. Prior to this, I had filled the tank last maybe a month ago with pure gas, no ethanol. Long story short, the overflow hose must have leaked about a gallon since I filled the tank. The fuel gauge shows I am down one bar already, and that is after maybe 10 miles. I had to place a catch pan underneath to keep the gas from spilling all over the driveway once I got home. I verified the overflow opening is located under the filler cap on the left side. (The tank vent is the opening on the right). Does this mean the (I assume) tube that goes through the tank from the filler opening to the nipple on the bottom where the hose attaches has a hole in it somewhere about a quarter of the way down from the top? Is this fixable? Or do I need a new tank? What is the danger if I just cap off the overflow nipple at the bottom of the tank? Has anybody else experienced this?

Confused, and kind of disappointed and bummed out:confused:. Any advice appreciated.

Cheers!

· Registered
2,595 Posts
Wow, never heard of that problem! Sorry to hear and hope you get some better responses than mine.
So you filled it up a month ago and before or after the 10 mile ride you were down a bar? Did you notice any gas leak before you did the 10 miles? Just trying to figure out if this is a "while you where riding" issue, or "a month since my last ride" issue. (just trying to understand the sequence of events). Has anything else changed on the bike, or have you done anything on the bike between when it wasn't happening and when it started happening? I don't think "cap off the overflow" is a solution, but I don't have an answer. I'm sure someone here will have a better answer. (y)

· Registered
226 Posts
Someone hasnt put the over flow pipes on the wrong way around have they?

Not sure how the tank is internally plumbed, but if a breather pipe fills with fuel sometimes it can lead to self-syphoning - to be fair I wouldnt expect more than 100ml to come out this way, but if the breathers have been misconnected then you never know.

If not the hypothesis of an internal failure is possible - never come across it before, but ethanol is pretty corrosive.

· Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gentlemen:

Thanks for the responses. I finally removed the tank and removed the fuel pump and took a picture. Vent pipe is split. See picture circled in red. Very bizarre! The small pipe is the vent, the large pipe the overflow. No issue that I noticed before filling, probably because the tank level was below the split. Filled the tank, it poured out until the level was below the split. Since it is kept outside during the winter, there must have been water in the tube that froze. Only thing that makes sense. Anyway, the what is solved. The only question left is why? Can only speculate at this point.
Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Motor vehicle

· Registered
855 Posts
Gentlemen:

Thanks for the responses. I finally removed the tank and removed the fuel pump and took a picture. Vent pipe is split. See picture circled in red. Very bizarre! The small pipe is the vent, the large pipe the overflow. No issue that I noticed before filling, probably because the tank level was below the split. Filled the tank, it poured out until the level was below the split. Since it is kept outside during the winter, there must have been water in the tube that froze. Only thing that makes sense. Anyway, the what is solved. The only question left is why? Can only speculate at this point. View attachment 48025
At leaat you figured it out! I can't think of any other reason why that overflow tube would have split like that, except for freezing. Still seems odd to me, though. That line is open ended, so as it froze, I would have expected it to expand along the length of the tube and/or hose, not just in that one spot causing the tube to rupture.

Also, I've had my tank off several times, but I've never closely examined it. Can that overflow and vent tube assembly be removed from the tank and replaced separately?

· Registered
855 Posts
Not that I can see. Welded and painted where it comes through the bottom.
Well, that sucks. Hard to believe the whole tank needs to be replaced if there's ever an issue with the tubes. Seems unlikely, but not impossible as your situation proves. What are your plans? Can you see any other way to repair the tube in order to avoid having to replace the tank?

· Registered
226 Posts
There are some special epoxies which are fuel proof. Given that the pipe is not under pressure, if you can obtain some petrol proof [not resistant, but able to withstand submersion], that can be applied with a dowel, rod or stick then perhaps it can be repaired.

Some composite fuel cells are fabbed up with this sort of epoxy perhaps somewhere near you has some or can effect a repair.

· Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What are your plans?
Seal it off at the top and bottom. If that creates issues, try to seal it with epoxy as others mentioned. Then if issues still exist start looking for a used tank.

Also try to "alert" Suzuki to a potential safety issue after what @pilninggas mentioned. Thanks!

· Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE: Suzuki USA did not seem real concerned about any safety issues. They also said I have an extended warranty. I did not buy it, but they gave me the number and contract information. They said to call the warranty company, and they will likely send me to my nearest dealer. Will see what happens tomorrow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.