GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is probably totally normal but I can鈥檛 say I鈥檝e noticed it before, I went out for an hour ride to test my back after my herniated disc 馃槱 ( felt ok tbh 馃榾 ) but then heard this tapping , suctioning noise after and was just wondering what it was if anyone knows?

cheers lads 馃槑

Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
That is weird never heard anything like it before. How long does it go on for?
Is it your watch ticking or do you have a clock on your bike somewhere. :D

Reactions: Dayrider

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That is weird never heard anything like it before. How long does it go on for?
Is it your watch ticking or do you have a clock on your bike somewhere. :D
it lasted for like 5 mins, I then started the bike again and let it run for a bit then turned it off and it was there again 馃槼, no watch or clock lol, I actually smelled burnt rubber on my ride but couldn鈥檛 tell if it was my bike or just in the country air, smell didn鈥檛 last long.

Registered
it lasted for like 5 mins, I then started the bike again and let it run for a bit then turned it off and it was there again 馃槼, no watch or clock lol, I actually smelled burnt rubber on my ride but couldn鈥檛 tell if it was my bike or just in the country air, smell didn鈥檛 last long.
@Dayrider

Doesn't sound normal to me and can't say I've ever heard that on mine.

I'm in the States and some of our bikes come equipped with an EVAP system (code E33). Mainly just the ones sold in California, but I have seen bikes sold in other states with this system installed. I don't know if the bikes sold in your neck of the woods come with this type of emissions equipment, but it sounds like it could be a malfunctioning canister purge valve. Unless you know your bike doesn't have this system installed, I'd suggest lifting the tank and checking that purge valve.

The ABS motor is also located in that area, but it doesn't sound like any ABS pump I've ever heard. Then again, I'm used to automotive ABS systems, not motorcycle systems.

It could also be the exhaust valve servo motor malfunctioning. In your video, it's the part directly in front of the rear shock labeled "Denso". If it is this motor, you'll be able to look under the bike and see the exhaust valve being actuated. Look on the right side, directly behind where the four head pipes merge. You'll see a round, spring loaded piece on the side of the exhaust with two black cables running to it. Check this while you can hear the noise in the video. If the spring loaded piece is moving while the bike is off and that noise is occurring, you know it's the servo motor.

In case you're not familiar, this is what the EVAP system looks like on the bikes that have it. The part with the red arrow (#5) is the purge valve. It's a small electric solenoid that opens and closes when triggered by the ECU. It allows the expanding fuel tank vapors to be introduced into the airbox and then burned during the combustion process instead of releasing them to atmosphere through a vent tube.

Art Elbow Font Parallel Auto part

Banned
This is probably totally normal but I can鈥檛 say I鈥檝e noticed it before, I went out for an hour ride to test my back after my herniated disc 馃槱 ( felt ok tbh 馃榾 ) but then heard this tapping , suctioning noise after and was just wondering what it was if anyone knows?

cheers lads 馃槑

Mine did it too --I just started it 5 minutes ago to check it out for you -- I only have 715 miles bought it new--- garage kept spotless-- i turned it on again started it and turned it off it went away I would not worry about it- as long as it runs fine just another weird thing with modern computer FI bikes-- MAN I MISS THE OLD CARBED BIKES no gadgets just ride the **** thing ! so in my opinion you ar okay i will talk to my mechanic friend next weekend for ya if you want? he works at the dealership know him 20 years

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Dayrider

Doesn't sound normal to me and can't say I've ever heard that on mine.

I'm in the States and some of our bikes come equipped with an EVAP system (code E33). Mainly just the ones sold in California, but I have seen bikes sold in other states with this system installed. I don't know if the bikes sold in your neck of the woods come with this type of emissions equipment, but it sounds like it could be a malfunctioning canister purge valve. Unless you know your bike doesn't have this system installed, I'd suggest lifting the tank and checking that purge valve.

The ABS motor is also located in that area, but it doesn't sound like any ABS pump I've ever heard. Then again, I'm used to automotive ABS systems, not motorcycle systems.

It could also be the exhaust valve servo motor malfunctioning. In your video, it's the part directly in front of the rear shock labeled "Denso". If it is this motor, you'll be able to look under the bike and see the exhaust valve being actuated. Look on the right side, directly behind where the four head pipes merge. You'll see a round, spring loaded piece on the side of the exhaust with two black cables running to it. Check this while you can hear the noise in the video. If the spring loaded piece is moving while the bike is off and that noise is occurring, you know it's the servo motor.

In case you're not familiar, this is what the EVAP system looks like on the bikes that have it. The part with the red arrow (#5) is the purge valve. It's a small electric solenoid that opens and closes when triggered by the ECU. It allows the expanding fuel tank vapors to be introduced into the airbox and then burned during the combustion process instead of releasing them to atmosphere through a vent tube.

View attachment 46689
wow thanks for this detailed reply @871JZ 馃憡馃徎, I will check this out after work and report back馃憤馃徎

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
was the key position in park?? gonna start mine in a minute to see if that happens-
key was in and on full ignition, I used the cut off switch to turn engine off when it was doing it.

Mine did it too --I just started it 5 minutes ago to check it out for you -- I only have 715 miles bought it new--- garage kept spotless-- i turned it on again started it and turned it off it went away I would not worry about it- as long as it runs fine just another weird thing with modern computer FI bikes-- MAN I MISS THE OLD CARBED BIKES no gadgets just ride the **** thing ! so in my opinion you ar okay i will talk to my mechanic friend next weekend for ya if you want? he works at the dealership know him 20 years
Then it鈥檚 a normal thing that happens OR both our bikes have the same issue lol you you could ask your make when you see him to get a answer to the noise that would be awesome, be good to know what that noise actual mean, if we don鈥檛 find out before hand 馃憤馃徎

Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
Only a guess but If you stopped it with the kill switch and left the ignition on it might have been still priming the fuel pump and the hissing related to the pressure in the line.

Reactions: Dayrider

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Only a guess but If you stopped it with the kill switch and left the ignition on it might have been still priming the fuel pump and the hissing related to the pressure in the line.
Maybe right there, will try it with turning key off and will kill switch to see if any difference, deffo sounds like something still pumping when engine off though, tbh I always use kill switch and can鈥檛 say I鈥檝e heard it before 馃

Registered

cheers lads 馃槑

is the fan spinning fine, anything stuck in there ?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
is the fan spinning fine, anything stuck in there ?
Fan is fine mate, I get to go out on it tomozz as the weather is better 馃挭馃徎.

I started it up yesterday though and got it up to temp and then turned it off with the key and then with the killer switch and it didn鈥檛 do it 馃

wonder if it did it last time because I stopped after ragging it? Deffo sounded like a pump continuing to pump.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Had a 2 hour ride and stopped a few times along the route and didn鈥檛 hear anything at all, very strange

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe it was a glitch. I'd keep an ear out for it, but if it doesn't happen again I wouldn't worry about it too much.
yeah that鈥檚 what I鈥檓 hoping, I putting it down to it was the bike panting as I ragged it silly 馃槀馃憤馃徎

1 - 16 of 16 Posts