GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rear-ended a car after being distracted for a split second, and traffic on the highway screeching to a halt from 65mph. I managed to get up from the crash without any 'serious' injury, although a concussion cost me 2 weeks of work and a bruised shin bone has been pretty painful.

Anyway, I get a call this morning saying they bike is repairable - so I'm happy. Then I get a call saying they found more damage, and the bike will be totaled. The bike was new in October and I just started making payments on it in December or January. The limit they'll pay to fix it is $6,000 (less my deductible). The estimate is at $6700 which I can bring down a little with some spare parts I have, and living with some scratches in the mirrors, etc. It's still over $6k so I'll have to pay the difference in cash, on top of my $2,000 deductible (doubled since it was in first 100 days of new policy). This is my first bike finance so I never experienced this kind of thing with insurance, and obviously didn't get the best coverage.

I've seen ads for new bikes for ~$8,000. I don't know what they would offer me for the 'Actual' value, but it seems like it would be a little above the $6 - again, less my deductible.

It's going to cost me a boat load of money, due to bad choices changing insurance when I moved to California. But it still seems like I'd lose a bunch more money if it gets totaled and I have to pay off the finance company and get another bike.

I'm just writing this to get it out there - I live alone and am in a new state so I don't really have anyone to talk to about it.

The damage is all front end - the forks, steering stem, front wheel, and radiator are like close to $4k alone. Add on the left side plastic, mirror, turn signals, etc. and labor and tax and it gets up there quick.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sorry to hear brother, big bike crashes are a pain in the ass, even minor ones, since parts are pretty expensive. Add to that we are never guaranteed a decent coverage by the insurance. That sucks.. a lot. deductibles, consumables, depreciation, taxes... and the list goes on.

I'd go as far to say it's more expensive than the entire cost of bike if the import charges in the country are high.. yeah I have been there, my bikes totalled, and estimates are more than the bike itself. I went for a settlement with the insurance company and in a loss of over 4000$ incl road registration charges which ill never be able to refund..

Id say if the cost of repair is quarter the cost of entire bike on road, then go for it.

All the best

·
Registered
726 Posts
I rear-ended a car after being distracted for a split second, and traffic on the highway screeching to a halt from 65mph. I managed to get up from the crash without any 'serious' injury, although a concussion cost me 2 weeks of work and a bruised shin bone has been pretty painful.

Anyway, I get a call this morning saying they bike is repairable - so I'm happy. Then I get a call saying they found more damage, and the bike will be totaled. The bike was new in October and I just started making payments on it in December or January. The limit they'll pay to fix it is $6,000 (less my deductible). The estimate is at $6700 which I can bring down a little with some spare parts I have, and living with some scratches in the mirrors, etc. It's still over $6k so I'll have to pay the difference in cash, on top of my $2,000 deductible (doubled since it was in first 100 days of new policy). This is my first bike finance so I never experienced this kind of thing with insurance, and obviously didn't get the best coverage.

I've seen ads for new bikes for ~$8,000. I don't know what they would offer me for the 'Actual' value, but it seems like it would be a little above the $6 - again, less my deductible.

It's going to cost me a boat load of money, due to bad choices changing insurance when I moved to California. But it still seems like I'd lose a bunch more money if it gets totaled and I have to pay off the finance company and get another bike.

I'm just writing this to get it out there - I live alone and am in a new state so I don't really have anyone to talk to about it.

The damage is all front end - the forks, steering stem, front wheel, and radiator are like close to $4k alone. Add on the left side plastic, mirror, turn signals, etc. and labor and tax and it gets up there quick.
Joe... Sorry about your mishap, these things happen. But I'm sure if it's a write off you can tell the insurance company that the offer is unacceptable and keep saying that until they come up with a decent settlement..Keep us upto speed on this...:)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Joe, I know its easy to say this,its not my money, but to have you on here talking about it is worth way more than any bike part, or totaled machine.

Years ago, I bent my fork in a similar manner. Race Tech straightened the tubes and revalved my fork. For way less than a brand new forks cost, I had forks that were much improved over stock.

I dont know if liability issues allow for this, anymore, but if the tubes are not kinked, it can be done.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You are correct, if you go the totaled route it will be more expensive. But it may be worth the peace of mind.
Let me explain. If you repair it and keep it, will you be satisfied and will you have 100% confidence they repaired all the damages? Another thing to consider is, what if they repair it and you later find more damage they missed, like a hairline crack in the aluminum frame? More $$$. Riding a repaired bike, how will this effect your confidence as a rider?

If it were me, I would take the hit and total it and start over fresh. Take your time and shop around for a deal on a closeout or a really clean used unit.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
You are correct, if you go the totaled route it will be more expensive. But it may be worth the peace of mind.
Let me explain. If you repair it and keep it, will you be satisfied and will you have 100% confidence they repaired all the damages? Another thing to consider is, what if they repair it and you later find more damage they missed, like a hairline crack in the aluminum frame? More $$$. Riding a repaired bike, how will this effect your confidence as a rider?

If it were me, I would take the hit and total it and start over fresh. Take your time and shop around for a deal on a closeout or a really clean used unit.
agree

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys - I'm definitely not going to make a hasty decision on this.

I'm looking at Actual Cash Value (ACV) estimates/calculations: if they approve at least $6,000 for repair (before adding suspension/customization costs), and if the repair limit is 70% of ACV, that means the ACV is $8571. I could possibly get a new bike for that (my cost being $2000).

Otherwise, to keep the bike I'm paying at least $2200 and not restoring back to like-new condition, although relatively close. I'm not going to fix a scrape on the swingarm, will leave some scrapes on mirrors and bar ends, etc.

Your point is well received, though, about possibly missing something. I heard GSXR's had an issue where a front end impact would crack the frame. My bike apparently needs a new stem, tree, forks, and wheel, so the force on the front of the frame was not small.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I let them total it. The damage is serious enough to make me wonder if there could be something else, like you guys said. Taking emotion out of the equation, this is the right thing to do.

Thank you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I let them total it. The damage is serious enough to make me wonder if there could be something else, like you guys said. Taking emotion out of the equation, this is the right thing to do.

Thank you.

You are welcome. I am glad I was able to shed some light on other things that are sometimes overlooked that can come back to haunt you and the mental impact and doubt that will always linger. (been there crashed that :))

Now you can take your time and find your 2nd love. Good Luck.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Wow, you didn't waste any time! That's an incredible price, wherever you are. I guess these bikes are confusing salesmen all over the country. I had three different dealers give me a price for a naked when I asked for the F. Even put a down payment on one before they came back with a higher price...and it was a lot more than $300 extra. Congrats!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, well when I knew they stopped making the blue ones, I felt like there wasn't much time to waste. I didn't want to pay MSRP so I did an online search. There's a bike with 200 miles on that a dealership advertised for $8500. That didn't include anything and they wouldn't budge on the price, dealer fees, tax, or anything. So I left and went to another dealership that I knew had this bike since last year. I showed them the ad for the first bike I looked at and he went to see if he could match it. They had the naked version for $8500 so I think that's where the confusion came from. I gave a deposit and luckily turned around while we were doing the paperwork and saw them pull the naked bike from the show room. They weren't excited to hear about the mistake, and said there was $1000 difference, but asked if I could 'throw in a couple hundred extra' so I agreed to $200. They said they lost money (although there's a Suzuki rebate for $1000, and it's an old model so they make room, and kickbacks or whatever). They really want me to leave a good review on Yelp and tell a friend to shop there, so I'm happy to do that for them. They didn't want me to walk away but I could tell they didn't want to let the bike go for that price, and basically honored their mistake.

Long story short: I win :)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
<snipped> I had three different dealers give me a price for a naked when I asked for the F.
Good work Joe, back on the road again.
No snatchy throttle, no rubbed thru clutch cable, but no RaceTech front forks rebuild for while perhaps till the funds replenish?

The Naked and the F.
It doesn't help some Dealer's who stock Suzuki and Honda. Honda call most of their Naked bikes "F" as in CB500F, where the faired is the "R".

Rob.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys!

I think I'm going to do a full custom shock on this bike. I'm not sure what I'll do with the forks yet, maybe just straight rate springs, or maybe the full Race Tech kit. I get 30% off from them now that I took the Total Control training course.

This bike will have a different fender eliminator that works with the luggage, a Woolich custom tune, the Sargent seat, and the suspension changes. I'm going to take my time getting back riding, so I'll have a little time to work on the bike.

I've been selling tools from my storage unit to try and recover some of the money I'll lose, so I'm doing OK.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks guys!

I think I'm going to do a full custom shock on this bike. I'm not sure what I'll do with the forks yet, maybe just straight rate springs, or maybe the full Race Tech kit. I get 30% off from them now that I took the Total Control training course.

This bike will have a different fender eliminator that works with the luggage, a Woolich custom tune, the Sargent seat, and the suspension changes. I'm going to take my time getting back riding, so I'll have a little time to work on the bike.

I've been selling tools from my storage unit to try and recover some of the money I'll lose, so I'm doing OK.

Get back in the saddle as soon as you can, Best medicine I know for the flashbacks. Even though the accident was not a major injury, it still messes with your psyche. Trust me, the more miles you put on the sooner it will become a distant memory. Good Luck, look forward to your mod pics and sharing your experiences.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Get back in the saddle as soon as you can, Best medicine I know for the flashbacks. Even though the accident was not a major injury, it still messes with your psyche. Trust me, the more miles you put on the sooner it will become a distant memory. Good Luck, look forward to your mod pics and sharing your experiences.
Thanks :) I'm going to pick up the bike today, so I'll be back in the saddle. My reservation is more around the lingering effects of the concussion - my brain is still a little slower than it was before hand, which means I need to leave more space and time around when I ride. I'm not afraid to ride again, I just am cautious about riding when my head is not 100%.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It felt GREAT to be back on the bike!! I freaking love this thing - there is no other bike I'd rather be riding. I definitely miss my suspension and seat, but the new ones will be even better :)

What an AWESOME motorcycle.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts