GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a track day and was wondering what kind of telemetry devices are out there. Anyone got one fitted they can recommend?

·
Registered
72 Posts
i never use anything , although a pal of mine once downloaded something to my phone I didnt take much notice i think it was a pirelli app , if you do cronograph days you can get lap times and consistancy from that , there are some apps that will track lean angle etc once a few laps of circuit are in the bag ,i dont know the names of apps i just get out there and have fun , with experience you will be able to lap consistantly without aids .full lean is approx 54 degrees which is acievable on tyres like m7rr , sportsmart , s22 etc Enjoy ya tracktime

·
Registered
433 Posts
Just got back from a track day and was wondering what kind of telemetry devices are out there. Anyone got one fitted they can recommend?
Hey, I’ve used a few and these are my favorites

iPhone: Harry’s lap timer (link with headset for audio lap times, heart rate monitor etc)
GoPro with GPS (5 black or newer)
Dedicated device: aim solo 2

Rendering at home: raceRender

Also recommend: insta360 one X

My Examples (won’t let me post direct links)
Instagram dot com slash
/p/B3GDfpsHgfl/?igshid=u44dm8c58mfr

/p/Btm38oMHSdS/?igshid=ckrsrdyj21ch

Use the data and videos to improve your skills. Your bike. And have an amazing time.

Telemetry is about working to improve. If you just wanna have fun but don’t care about improving or tuning your bike then just ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
I used to use a BT-Q1000eX when on track. Just used to stick it under the rear cowl.

Still have it somewhere in the house but no idea where, kind of ironic for a GPS device :rolleyes:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just went to my first track day last week.
Had an awesome time even though I low sided near the end of the day.
Can't wait to go again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
What do you think caused the lowside? I'm running the same tires on the F. I was hoping you could make it to MotoGP levels of lean on those. At least for my confidence's sake.

I'm not sure which tire slipped. I think the back, because I fell onto my backside first and then rolled onto my hands and knees as I slid to a stop....and then I looked behind me and saw my bike sliding to the edge of the track. It happened so fast.

If I had to guess my speed in this tight corner, I'd say I was going about 50-60 kph (31-37 mph). Thankfully not very fast.

Here are my mistakes that I may have made.....

I had 30 psi in the front tire and 35 psi in the rear (cold tires). Rear should have been 28 psi, maybe the front at 28 psi too.

Abrupt throttle control. I had the traction control on the highest level 3, but I still think my poor throttle control may have pushed the traction control beyond its limits.

At the beginning of the lapping day I started off at 5:30 pm and was riding swiftly but still learning the track and the race line.

I gradually got more confident and pushed the bike harder until the tips of my toes were touching the ground on the low speed tight corners, so I move my foot position so that the balls of my feet were on the pegs. Like your supposed to do.

I continued to push the bike until I was scraping the footpeg feelers around the tight corners. It was awesome. I felt like Marquez.

Then I noticed a track official waving the checkered flag, so figured it was 7:30pm and lapping was over.
I come off the track and went to the paddock area. I took my gloves, jacket and helmet off and was checking my phone for texts, when I realized that it was not 7:30pm. It was only 6:40pm.
I asked another rider why we were taken off so early and he said someones vintage bike seized his rear wheel and they couldn't get him off the track. He said we could go back on again.

I was soooo pumped!! I got geared up quickly and went back for more laps.

I was hot...but the tires were not. They may have cooled down, causing less grip. I think I was on my second lap and grinding the footpeg feelers when I low sided.

That day I did 108 km (67 mi) of laps. Best $80 I've ever spent.

·
Registered
48 Posts
What do you think caused the lowside? I'm running the same tires on the F. I was hoping you could make it to MotoGP levels of lean on those. At least for my confidence's sake.

As for the tires, (Bridgestone Hypersport S22) I think they're a good street tire.
I was concerned about the millage that I would get, so I took measurements.
I have 5,000 km (3,106 mi) on them now. I measured the tread depth when they were new and again at 5,000km

Rear tire center tread groove measured on top of wear bar 5.2 mm new... Now 2.5 mm
Rear tire side of tread groove measured on top of wear bar, new 4.15 mm...now 3.4 mm
Rear tire side edge of tread groove measured on top of wear bar, new 3.25 mm...now 3.15 mm

Front tire has even less wear.

This is only one track day lapping and the rest is street riding.

The S22 has three compounds in the rear tire.
Center tread for longevity, side tread gets softer for grip and the very edge of the tread is very soft for maximum grip.

I can feel it when I'm on the super soft edge compound.
When these tires are hot, they grip nicely.
Can't say anything for the cold, cause I'm a ***** ass and avoid riding when it's cold out.

Next set I'll spend the money and get Michelin Pilot Power RS or maybe the Pilot Power 5. Not sure. Michelins are considerably more expensive.

I saw a lot of bikes at the track with the RS tires.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, I’ve used a few and these are my favorites

iPhone: Harry’s lap timer (link with headset for audio lap times, heart rate monitor etc)
GoPro with GPS (5 black or newer)
Dedicated device: aim solo 2

Rendering at home: raceRender

Also recommend: insta360 one X

My Examples (won’t let me post direct links)
Instagram dot com slash
/p/B3GDfpsHgfl/?igshid=u44dm8c58mfr

/p/Btm38oMHSdS/?igshid=ckrsrdyj21ch

Use the data and videos to improve your skills. Your bike. And have an amazing time.

Telemetry is about working to improve. If you just wanna have fun but don’t care about improving or tuning your bike then just ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That first video is pretty cool. Which of your setups was that one?
I did look at the aim solo 2. It would be wicked to have it tied in to the ECU for all the extra data it gives but **** they are expensive.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As for the tires, (Bridgestone Hypersport S22) I think they're a good street tire.
I was concerned about the millage that I would get, so I took measurements.
I have 5,000 km (3,106 mi) on them now. I measured the tread depth when they were new and again at 5,000km

Rear tire center tread groove measured on top of wear bar 5.2 mm new... Now 2.5 mm
Rear tire side of tread groove measured on top of wear bar, new 4.15 mm...now 3.4 mm
Rear tire side edge of tread groove measured on top of wear bar, new 3.25 mm...now 3.15 mm

Front tire has even less wear.

This is only one track day lapping and the rest is street riding.

The S22 has three compounds in the rear tire.
Center tread for longevity, side tread gets softer for grip and the very edge of the tread is very soft for maximum grip.

I can feel it when I'm on the super soft edge compound.
When these tires are hot, they grip nicely.
Can't say anything for the cold, cause I'm a * ass and avoid riding when it's cold out.

Next set I'll spend the money and get Michelin Pilot Power RS or maybe the Pilot Power 5. Not sure. Michelins are considerably more expensive.

I saw a lot of bikes at the track with the RS tires.
I've got the Pilot Power RS on my GSXS and the S22 on my ZX6R. They are very different bikes but I have a lot more faith in the S22s. I'll be throwing a set of them on the GSXS soon too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts