GSXS 1000 Forum banner

The end of the GSX 1000

16K views 45 replies 28 participants last post by  m0n4g3 
#1 ·
Will there be a 2017 GSX S1000? I haven't seen any press about the 2017 model yet. Is this the end of the GSXS?

#3 ·
That bike does look a little off, but alot of the newer bikes have weird cosmetics now.

Is it coincidental that the major parts manufacturers are not making their usual FULL line of aftermarket parts for our bike, and that we aren't hearing about the 2017 the GSX S1000?

The 2016 GSX R1000 already has a full exhaust, and other mods, for sale by most major aftrtmarket manufacturers.

#4 ·
Woohoo! We'll have an instant classic. In years to come we can enter the all-Japanese class and win best in show. Quail Run will send us invites to come and compete. And then when we go and take a lap at Laguna Seca, we can blow all other bikes into the weeds. Yeah baby!

#6 ·
I agree it's only early days and the bike may just continue on unchanged as many bikes do with a 2017 stamp

#8 ·
I'm not a TROLL, Mythic! That's f'd up! You are wrong.

Don't associate me with, or being, a TROLL ever again!

Regarding your last defamatory comments towards me... YOU could be construed as being a TROLL.

I take my contributions\posts to this site seriously and I will not tolerate f'd up comments towards me.

This site has a great reputation with many good members with informative posts. GSXS1000.org has made a significant and positive impact on this motorcycle community. I'm sure other users work proactively to maintain the integrity of this site so it will continue many years into the future.

So Mythic... check yourself and your comments before posting another defamatory comments to one of my topics or anywhere on this site.

Keep this site clean of the "TRASH" so this site can continue to grow and help other members.

Reactions: SavedSynner
#10 ·
The question that has to be asked regarding the future of the GSX S1000A/F is "does the motorcycle sell?" If it doesn't sell, it will be discontinued. It's my understanding that R&D costs of a typical motorcycle would result in giving it a chance in the market place for at least two years. It has been in the hands of the public for less than a year now and was marketed in Europe and some places other than the U.S. as a 2015 model. It was made available in the U.S. in October of 2015 but was marketed as a 2016 model. IMHO Suzuki will keep the bike on the market for a minimum of two years before deciding on it's future. I suspect that it will eventually be labeled as a 2017 model but will remain unchanged except for minor unseen modifications that occur as the manufacturing process evolves.

In 1992 I purchased a new Suzuki GSX 1100G. It was introduced in 1991. It was in production for two calendar years. It didn't sell well enough and production ceased.

I don't have any sales stats in my hands but the local dealership told me it wasn't doing well in my area. In the seven months that I've had mine, I've only seen one other one and that was at a track day event.

Personally, I believe the the bike will be a survivor. I would like to know if forum members are seeing any GSX S1000A/F's around.

#11 ·
Personally, I believe the the bike will be a survivor. I would like to know if forum members are seeing any GSX S1000A/F's around.
That would be a good poll question. I have not yet seen another one on the road. I also ride a DL650 V-Strom, a very popular bike that's been around for a decade or more and still only see one once every two weeks or so.

Here in the states, every other bike is a 1000-lb, 80hp Hardley. Don't get me started.

#14 ·
Do you guys want them to keep making it for a long time, or not?

I kind of like the idea of having a unique bike so the fewer other people that have it the better. But on the other hand if it becomes a more popular bike then we will have more aftermarket parts for it.

I have never passed another one on the road yet, faired or naked.

When I bought mine the salesman told me they were selling really well but I have no idea if that was true or if it was part of his strategy to try to convince me to buy it.

#15 ·
Do you guys want them to keep making it for a long time, or not?

I kind of like the idea of having a unique bike so the fewer other people that have it the better. But on the other hand if it becomes a more popular bike then we will have more aftermarket parts for it.

I have never passed another one on the road yet, faired or naked.
Common also means cheaper and more available replacement parts when it's older.

#16 ·
Same here, couple dealers said selling well but I have not come across a naked nor faired one in my travels. I have to say I get many questions and compliments from other riders when riding about. I hope it is popular... as others said, means more aftermarket parts and longer OEM parts support.

#17 ·
:) I've see a couple out and about:)
Both a lot cleaner than mine and one guy was still running his in ( or at least I hope he was) or a member of the Fly Preservation Squad.

I think they will last a long time. Suzuki has found a good market, they just have to keep the spec sheet interesting enough to get people on them. Once ridden they will sell themselves>:D

P.S. What's a Troll? and why does it make folk so touchy being called one?

#18 ·
I saw 2 out on my travels on Sunday, 1 with clothes and 1 without, which is a better statistic than when I had my Tuono v4. I could count on 2 fingers the amount I saw in a year. 😊

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

#22 · (Edited)
I've never seen a single one on the road but mine. I don't care though, I actually prefer it. There's nothing I hate more than buying something that's new and rare one day and all of a sudden it's the most popular bike around and everyone and their grandmother has one, and now I'm treated like the same "squid" as all the other punks. On the other hand, I don't want them to stop making them because then nobody will make anymore aftermarket parts and the bike will lose it's value.

That said, I don't think they would stop making them after 1 year. Perhaps they will stop shipping to the US and keep it in the UK and Orient. But, perhaps it's just that they didn't publish anything about it because it isn't changing from the 2016 model. It's probably exactly the same so there's nothing to talk about.

Reactions: ackack
#23 ·
My dealer said it was his best selling model from June to November last year, 16 he sold which isn't too shabby.
The end or updated models I am not really bothered. This is the first and only bike I will buy brand new (barring pre-reg offers) I fell in love with the bike as soon as I saw it on the website in Dec '14 I put a deposit down as soon as I finished the test ride in March '15 and picked her up 3rd June.
To me this bike is a blank canvas and I'm going to modify it in a way that I am happy with, mainly changing the colour of some panels but the design of the naked bike is perfect to me and I still pop into the garage on a cold wet sh!tty day just to pull off her cover and look at her. No bike has ever made me feel this way and I will never sell her.

#25 ·
correct me if i am wrong, again, but i thought this was june 2016 , err june 2016, when you have made a bike as cool as this one why on earth would you be talking 2017 , if it aint broke why fix it . This bike is a pearler , i have no intention of ever selling it,
and with any luck the numb nuts that make up the majority will never cotton on to this wonderful machine. Suzuki will sell this bike for decades. As to parts my friend here in perth Aus. has a 40 yr old suzuki 2 stroke 500 and can still get original parts for it from suzuki , don't sweat my friends we have a bike that will grow in status and value over the years .PS ride it like you stole it if you really want to enjoy it's potential , it will eat a lot of sports bikes for breakfast on the road in the real world

#28 ·
I have not seen one on the road around in my neck of the woods, except a few others at the 2 local dealers. By the way, don't think not seeing them on the road is any real indication of how well they selling anyways, cause it's just more like probability of it passing you. But suppose you could argue the more there are, the greater the probability. But also it is still a fairly new bike, especially here - only arrived about November last year. Must say the one (grey bike) at the one dealer has been there for ever. Might be the colour. No offense to those that have the grey. Wonder if all this talk about the jerky throttle on this forum and in some reviews is negatively affecting potential sales?

Would be a real pity if this bike is not a winner in terms of sales and is discontinued. Cause the updated model could address many of the weaknesses (jerky throttle and poor rear shock) and other improvements such as more power, quick shifter, better brakes, etc. whatever, which would normally be the case and make this bike even greater. It possibly made sense to have a more "watered down" bike at a lower price point to test the market and see how it sells, before using more expensive/higher quality parts. Although having said that, from my perspective there are actually only maybe 1 or 2 other more expensive bikes that I would choose over this bike in terms of my criteria for a bike.

2017/2018 model of this bike with better throttle response and rear shock + some improvements - that would definitely get me excited.

#29 ·
I have not seen one on the road around in my neck of the woods, except a few others at the 2 local dealers. By the way, don't think not seeing them on the road is any real indication of how well they selling anyways, cause it's just more like probability of it passing you.
This is exactly right. My other bike is a 650 V-Strom. They sell very well and have been available since 2004 I believe and I may see one every other month. Pick any model you like, (other than the oversaturated Hardley vroom vroom models ridden by guys in pirate costumes) and think how often do you see them.

Would be a real pity if this bike is not a winner in terms of sales and is discontinued. Cause the updated model could address many of the weaknesses (jerky throttle and poor rear shock) and other improvements such as more power, quick shifter, better brakes, etc. whatever, which would normally be the case and make this bike even greater. It possibly made sense to have a more "watered down" bike at a lower price point to test the market and see how it sells, before using more expensive/higher quality parts.
I would have gladly paid more for those features you mentioned.

#31 ·
Sparse sightings

Gents, i was at the Isle of Man TT recently where i usually see every bike on the road.
I was very keen to see the 1000F as i was about to buy one!
I can honestly say that i only saw 2 on the island and a hand full of the naked bikes.
I saw more Honda RCV's at £140,000 than GSX-S1000F's!
In my opinion, and please bear in mind i have spent my own money on a new 1000F, Suzuki have missed the party.
The GSXS is a fabulous bike, but its taken that long to come out that Kawasaki have stolen the march with the 1000SX.
The other naked superbikes have moved the game on too. The BMW S1000r and Tuono 1100 (i have had one of these) have really lifted the bar to aim for. The new MT10 is a fabulous bike especially for less than £10K. Pity it looks like its been crashed before you buy it!
It always boils down to "you pays your money, you takes your choice"
Personally, i have ridden most of the big nakeds and owned one or two. I still spent my money on the Suzuki.

#39 · (Edited)
We just got back from our annual trip to Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway and Blueridge Parkway. Hundreds upon hundreds of tourist motorcycles.

I did not see one single GSXS1000 anywhere. I had the only one. I saw dozens of FZ07s and 09s though. And I'm sure we'll see bunches of 10s when they come out.

That's certainly has to tell us something.

However, I did just find this. And there does seem to be some internet talk about a 2017 model.

Attachments

#44 ·
My dealer got a naked and an F in back in April, I bought the F a few days later, they still have the naked and haven't stocked any more. This was the closest dealer to me with a GSXS, just over an hour's drive. The dealer 5 minutes from my house has never stocked them. There's two other dealers between, but I haven't check then since I bought mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.