1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
21 Posts
I find it funny that they say the FZ 09 throttle issue is not as bad as the GSX. I don't know, but I really don't find the GSX throttle all that bad. Sure I have only had it a few days now, but I have no issue holding a constant speed. At real low parking lot speeds for a u-turn or such, it does seem a little sensitive, but manageable with the clutch.

I took the FJ 09 out before the GSX, and the FJ 09 throttle is supposed to be refined compared to the FZ. The whole time the throttle on the FJ just felt really jumpy and the front end very loose. Didn't even bother with the FZ after that. Now it is a little embarrassing, but I have not stalled a bike in years. Coming off the line on the FJ nice and slow behind a semi into an immediate right turn and boom, stalled it. I had my wife on the back and she even asked me what happened. She was shocked as I had never done that to her before. Couldn't believe how sensitive the throttle and clutch were when trying for a slow smooth start.

The Honda was a non-starter. No TC, No ABS and more $$$$, not happening. As as I like Kawi in general, I just couldn't see spending a full day on that seat.

I just think I am still in awe with this bike. Suzuki has made this such a bargain. Well not dripping with tech, it has what I consider the important stuff that the others don't and all at a lower price, minus the FZ.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yet another review that is critical of the throttle response. It even went so far as to say that some of the reviewers considered it reason enough to not buy the bike. If I had been able to test ride the bike before the purchase, the throttle response would have kept me from making the purchase. It simply burns me up that Suzuki produced such a marvelous machine with such a serious issue. Even though I have improved the throttle issue via PCV and Throttle Tamer, I have now put enough miles on it (street and track) to know that I will never be very happy with the bike as long as the throttle issue exist.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I think bikes vary with the issue and I have noticed temperature has some to do with it as I have noticed it before and again last night riding for over an hour on back roads and the temperature dropped about 5 degrees in that time from about 20 to 15 degrees C and the colder it got the worse it got even with an altered throttle tube that's generally smooth on and off the throttle and last night has me wanting to put the throttle tamer back on.
I did notice it really bad one day riding into a cold damp mountain range where it got real bad as i entered and this was after 2 days riding about 800km with no problems at all except for the mountain range

·
Registered
164 Posts
I wonder if the F model has better aerodynamics because my average mileage hasn't been below 45 mpg. And look at that trap speed: 132 mph! That's what we're talking about. Mine has a little "throttle snatch" but have been trying to train right wrist. Last week, temperature was high 80s (31C). Perhaps it gets less "snatchy" with hotter (ambient) temp? If so, I'll see what happens when it hits +110 (+43 C) in the next couple three months.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Yet another review that is critical of the throttle response. It even went so far as to say that some of the reviewers considered it reason enough to not buy the bike. If I had been able to test ride the bike before the purchase, the throttle response would have kept me from making the purchase. It simply burns me up that Suzuki produced such a marvelous machine with such a serious issue. Even though I have improved the throttle issue via PCV and Throttle Tamer, I have now put enough miles on it (street and track) to know that I will never be very happy with the bike as long as the throttle issue exist.
With both the throttle tamer and PCV how smooth is the bike now, having a tamer it fixes the on/off response perfectly for me and it smooths it so much i can feel it's fuel problems as it goes into open/closed loop at constant revs and surges at 4250-4500 rpm and having just a PCV my guess is it would fix the fuel problems but not the on/off as the stock map does not touch the fuel till 10% throttle so does both give it a perfect feel ?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I don't think the throttle is snappy either. Especially after 4,000 miles, it really smooths out.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I wonder if the F model has better aerodynamics because my average mileage hasn't been below 45 mpg.
Of course it does. Air is brought smartly around the front end and it doesn't have those two gaping holes on either side of the headlights as the naked does. That is pure drag. Air is smoothed considerably around the engine by the lower fairing instead of getting hung up around it's rough surfaces creating even more drag. Read the reviews comparing the two on the track. The F is vastly more stable at very high speeds. Not one reviewer has said otherwise, even those that like the look of the naked much better.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It also depends on the mileage that's ridden at each interval. For my shorter rides, there's no need for any fairing at all. A 20 mile ride at 100MPH with no fairing is no big deal at all. It's the longer rides that get me. Like when we rode 4 hours each way to Daytona Bike Week and hit speeds of 135MPH with an average speed probably in the 100 - 110 area. By the end of the trip up and back, I was dead! The back of my neck was sore for 3 weeks. My whole body was tired from fighting the wind. It's only for that type of riding that I elected to get a Puig windscreen.

Plus we have a 3,000 mile trip coming up in September, we do this ride every year, from Fort Lauderdale to Ashville NC through the Blue Ridge Mountains, Deal's Gap (Tail of the Dragon) and many other awesome roads. The total round trip is around 3,000 miles.

Anyone is welcome to join us this year if you'd like.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It also depends on the mileage that's ridden at each interval. For my shorter rides, there's no need for any fairing at all. A 20 mile ride at 100MPH with no fairing is no big deal at all. It's the longer rides that get me. Like when we rode 4 hours each way to Daytona Bike Week and hit speeds of 135MPH with an average speed probably in the 100 - 110 area. By the end of the trip up and back, I was dead! The back of my neck was sore for 3 weeks. My whole body was tired from fighting the wind. It's only for that type of riding that I elected to get a Puig windscreen.

Plus we have a 3,000 mile trip coming up in September, we do this ride every year, from Fort Lauderdale to Ashville NC through the Blue Ridge Mountains, Deal's Gap (Tail of the Dragon) and many other awesome roads. The total round trip is around 3,000 miles.

Anyone is welcome to join us this year if you'd like.
Thumper, I drive in Florida as often as I can ( my brother lives in Fort Myers ) but with all the speed traps and cops about I am always more reluctant to break the speed limit than here in the UK!
Am I just being paranoid?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No I wouldn't say you're paranoid. It's just I've lived here for 25 years and I know where and when I can go fast. Places like Interstate 75 through the Everglades to Naples is like the Autobaun. Florida is also so flat that I can see miles ahead of me and can slow down if I see something up ahead. There's just a lot of tricks I've learned over the years down here.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Here is why I love the suzuki. Now, it would be perfect with the Kawasakis low end torque, but whatever....

First of all, here the suzuki is in this cheap bike class. Those that are happy with it, great. You saved some money.

Now, give m the suzuki, and maybe 1500-2000 for suspension, and an eventual ecu reflash.

Now the bike will run with the BMW and aprilia. As far as beating those two, maybe it wont quite do that. No big deal, either. I dont need to worry about an extended warranty, expensive service or poor dealer support.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have been ready and watching reviews for weeks on the GSX and all commented on the snatchy throttle as has been said and in all seriousness I was contemplating a CB as a result.. What I would say to potential buyers is take the bike for a test ride then you will buy it. I was so pleased when I realised the snatchy throttle was nothing more than character and suits the bike for what it is.. I just love it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
That Honda cb is an incredible bike. Its well finished, and pretty. If you ride one, you would like it. Its so Honda, for a lack of words. Smooth, friendly, quiet, nice.

However, it would take thousands to make it run like a Suzuki.

The Honda would be perfect for a guy who came into the shop wanting a ninja 650. You could up sell him to the Honda and the power would not scare him. Its not slow, but the power delivery is so smooth and linear it would not scar him.

The suzukis fueling sucks. People get used to walking with a wooden leg, too, but its not desirable. With that being said, so what Id rather look towards an ecu reflash to solve that as opposed to the issues I see in the BMW and Aprilia forums. For sure, my bmw or aprilia might be the one with no issues, or it might now, and that scares me away from their brands.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went to the dealership to buy the CB and the salesperson told me that this was the last year Honda was making it and then I saw the Suzuki and it was so much beefier I fell in love instantly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That would make sense as I couldn't get a new CB in Scotland and none of the dealers could tell me when they would be available. Plenty down south though. Do you think if the power was made more linear on the GSX like the Honda by way of a PC it would take away the instant power or feeling of having that instant power? Maybe it would be a better all rounder but for the moment it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looks like its official. The GSX will have some more competition in N. America late this year / early next year. MT-10 coming over as the FZ 10. I know it has love it or hate it looks, but I think I kind of like it. Looks a little like a fighter jet. Either way add this to the list of comparisons, and we are getting quite the selection of affordable bikes to choose from. I need to clear some space in the garage. Too many options.

2017 Yamaha FZ-10 Announced for Canada - Motorcycle.com News

1 - 20 of 23 Posts