GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just rolled over 2,000 miles on my new 2019 GSXS750, and I feel compelled to make some noise about this bike.

For starters since this is the GSXS1000 forum, the 750 is the best GSX-S. The 1000 isn't better. The 1000 is more powerful, and more expensive, better components. None of this makes it better.

I've been riding a long time now, and rode many bikes, and the GSX-S750 is the most fun I've had on two wheels on the road.

Here's a list of bikes I've owned, or ridden extensively that this bike beats for fun:
2016 Tuono 1100 (My last bike - I'll give this second place to the GSXS)
2020 Ducati Streetfighter
2010 Ducati Streetfighter
2015 Monster 1200S
2015 KTM 1290 Superduke R
2012 Z1000
2016 Z1000
2015 S1000R
2015 MT-07
201* Z900

I've rode too many sportbikes to list, they all fall in the category of not as fun on the street:
2016 RSV4 Factory
2012 CBR1000RR
2015 R1M
20XX ZX6/10R's
etc. etc.

I've been around the block.
But I've never been more excited to swing a leg over a bike than this one.

Registered
You make a strong point there with all your direct comparisons and detailed review. I also appreciated the way you explained the differences in the 750 and 1000 and why the 750 wins. 2000 miles is a great distance and way more than enough to form an opinion. I would guess that you have spent equally as much time on the 1000 to come to your conclusion so I for one appreciate that.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm being inflammatory here of course, but just for fun.

To compare directly to the GSX-S1000, I say the 750 beats it primarily on throttle response. Dealing with a jerky on/off throttle saps the joy out of riding quick. A few of my bikes have had snatchy throttles. Sure, you folks have found solutions that might resolve it, but then I'd go down my list of other ways I think this bike beats the 1000, and other bikes:

I can't overstate how smooth the throttle and fueling is on the 750. It makes all manner of riding more enjoyable, especially low speed stuff. You can dart around on this thing like a grom if you want to.
Handling : The suspension on this bike is 'just right'. I can drag a knee with confidence if I want to.
50 MPG : Pushing 200 mile range.
Power : This is where the 750 is the biggest loser vs. its rivals. It's also where I expected I'd have my own gripes. Instead, I'm thrilled with it because it's a ton of fun to flog it through the entire RPM range. Theres enough power down low to lazy pass, and enough up high to make WOT exciting. The biggest thing is how fun it is to row through the gears and wind out the motor. You just can't do that on the street with more power. And this 750 motor sounds great.
Looks : I think the GSXS line looks sweet, and I appreciate the more svelte look of the 750. Any color but black looks great on it.
Reliable : Suzukis philosophy of using old parts really shines after coming off of fussy italian bikes. To know this bike is using tried and true tech takes away the anxiety of going way out of town. The Aprilia and Ducatis all gave me reason not to fully trust them. Even one of my Kawasakis roasted its rectifier.
Economy : Let me be real here, an economical bike sounds lame, but this is where it finally beats other bikes. I bought the GSXS750 at a time when I couldn't afford something more expensive, like the white GSXS1000 next to it on the showroom floor. I got a smoking deal. I took a gamble on this bike to get back on 2 wheels again until I could afford something 'more fun' down the road. Well now I can. I can turn around and sell this thing for awash and get whatever I want again, but I wont. If there was a 1000cc bike that checked off every other box, it would still cost more in gas, tires, insurance.
And at the end of the day, I wouldn't be having any more fun.

I was inches from buying a used 2017 GSXS1000 for a similar price back when I got the 750. The herky jerky throttle put me off. I hope the new 2022 model sorts it all out because I'm really interested in it. This is my first Suzuki and they've really impressed me with how they put a bike together.

Registered
had a few dr650 felt that way about that bike fun fun bike to ride more then any other i owned ......then realized how much i enjoyed and missed blasting down the highway ,,,seen the 1000s ...one sit on it i was sold .. owned 750 once years ago then my buddy on his gpz1100 pulled away fron me like i was broken down.....never looked back after that im riding the streets i want the big boy with more comfort and power......every bike i owned at the time i felt it was the best untill i owned another

Registered
I have to say that the Gsx-s1000F is the way to go. A gsx-s750 is a bike for those who are scared of the manly horsepower of the great gsx-s1000. I know this because I鈥檝e owned a Lambretta 150 scooter, a Cbr125, and three gsxr1000鈥檚. Nothing else makes me feel like the stud I am, when twisting the throttle. When I cruise down the road with my grey hair and saggy jowels, hidden by my helmet, I know the chicks are thinking, there鈥檚 a stud. Of course I don鈥檛 take it above 5k because it is just too powerful.

I think that about covers it, although I will concede that I agree with a lot you said concerning the puny gsx-s750. But I do prefer to pay higher insurance, and maintenance costs.馃ジ

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Amazing, Gixus. I might be starting to have second thoughts now. 馃槀

I think it's true our current bike is always the best, until we move on to the next one. There's a term for that I think. I've owned 3 bikes at once before but I only ever rode the newest one.

Also, we naturally want to justify our choices and feel like we've made the right decision. For me with this 750 it was sort of the opposite; I bought it planning for it to be temporary, and a compromise.
Instead, it's unapologetically good. That's why I'm here talking about it. Which I suppose is still me justifying my choices.

Registered
Amazing, Gixus. I might be starting to have second thoughts now. 馃槀

I think it's true our current bike is always the best, until we move on to the next one. There's a term for that I think. I've owned 3 bikes at once before but I only ever rode the newest one.

Also, we naturally want to justify our choices and feel like we've made the right decision. For me with this 750 it was sort of the opposite; I bought it planning for it to be temporary, and a compromise.
Instead, it's unapologetically good. That's why I'm here talking about it. Which I suppose is still me justifying my choices.
The gsx-s750 is a great bike. Pretty much all you need in this world. I seriously considered getting it instead of the the 1000 for a lot of the reasons you stated. I just wanted the extra horsepower. On our overly speed restricted roads it鈥檚 tough to have fun, but the occasional wide open acceleration of a big four gives me enough boost to keep me happy. I sold a cbr600f4i to buy the gsx. It was a fast bike, but lacked torquey grunt, so it had to go.

If my insurance gets even more ridiculous than it is now, I鈥檒l probably replace it with the 750, or just pour money into my 1995 Vfr750 which is probably, for me, the best bike I鈥檝e ever owned. The v4 motor is a gem and the bike is a quality product.馃憤馃徏

Registered
My S1000 came with a Power Commander 5 installed. I have no snatchy throttle issues. She's smooth as silk in every gear. So what is that, a $300 fix?

While the Gixxus would be in my top five for sure nothing beats the sheer thrill of the Triumph 675R Daytona on a twisty road. Usually when I get home after a couple hours my cheeks hurt from smiling too much. The other cheeks, not so happy.

Registered
I have a 2019 S750, too. bought it in mid 2019, have about 8000 miles on it.
Yeah, it's not going to blow a liter bike off the road or (especially) track. But it will smoke almost every car out there, including po-po. And while the suspension is severely lacking in adjustability, I can stay with (and lets not kid ourselves, run off easily) pretty much any sport bike in the twisty's. And I spent, what, 2/3 of the $ a 1k would have cost?
I disagree about the black, though... I pulled off all the decals that Suzi insists on mucking up the looks with, and now it has that subtle, I'm a dark smoldering anti-hero look now. Completely blacked out, I think it's the best looking non-Italian bike out there.

My checklist, going in:
Good in the twisty's? Check.
Confident in traffic? Check.
Good behavior across entire RPM range? Check.
Looks cool? Check.
Easy to mod/personalize?
Check. MPG? Check.

S750 4 life!

Registered
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000FA
I paid $150 to get my flash done and the bike as it sat after that was perfect. To each their own but I would say the 1000 is better.

Registered
The gsx-s750 is a great bike. Pretty much all you need in this world. I seriously considered getting it instead of the the 1000 for a lot of the reasons you stated. I just wanted the extra horsepower. On our overly speed restricted roads it鈥檚 tough to have fun, but the occasional wide open acceleration of a big four gives me enough boost to keep me happy. I sold a cbr600f4i to buy the gsx. It was a fast bike, but lacked torquey grunt, so it had to go.

If my insurance gets even more ridiculous than it is now, I鈥檒l probably replace it with the 750, or just pour money into my 1995 Vfr750 which is probably, for me, the best bike I鈥檝e ever owned. The v4 motor is a gem and the bike is a quality product.馃憤馃徏
Surprisingly the insurance on a GSX S750 was substantially more than the GSX S1000. Just got a quote from GEICO. I'm old, good record and have a car with them. With uninsured motorist for the 1000 they wanted $518 a year. For the 750 they wanted $712. Almost 38% more.

I am trying to decide between a 750 and 1000. Price and insurance doesn't matter. Which one thats more fun to ride around town and freeway is what matters. It really sounds like the 750 is more fun. Going through the gears, higher revs that sounds good. Staying in 1st for a long time then 2nd and from what it sounds like rarely 3rd (I'm talking city street riding) with less response (until much higher speeds and longer gearing doesn't sound too good. Can't wait to try them out. I'm in Korea finishing up a job, should be home in 2 weeks. Can't wait to try em both.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting about the insurance.

A few weeks ago I bought another bike, a '14 VFR800
Something I can bring my girlfriend along for longer rides on.
I'm almost upset how close it is to the GSXS750 in power and handling because the "financially responsible" side of my brain says it's hard to justify having two similar bikes.

So, I've thought about if I were to sell it, what would I replace it with?
The more "stylish" bikes I like are either ~650cc and perform worse but cost the same or more, or are 1000s and cost way more.
I think if Suzuki pulled a card from Yamaha like with the MT-09 and XSR900, and made a retro/cafe GSXS750 I'd be writing a check tomorrow.

Otherwise, I can't see myself ever being glad to sell this bike. I think I just have to make more money.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did Kawasaki's demo ride the other day and got to ride the Z900 and Z900RS, and a few other bikes.
It's been awhile since I'd been on the Z900, and now I think it was the Z800 that I actually rode years ago.

Anyhow, I hadn't been on my GSXS750 in over a month so I rode it to the demo ride for a good fresh take on it to compare to some new bikes.
The Z900 is a great bike. I could see myself buying one if I never had a chance to ride the GSXS750. But jumping off the Z900 and back onto the GSXS reaffirmed my feelings: the GSXS is more fun.
The Z900 feels like it would stomp the GSXS in a straight line - but you trade off a lot of things for that extra power.
Some folks will prefer that, but if power isn't everything - then the GSXS750 is still better.

The Z900RS was very cool, it didn't ride as well as the non-RS, and it's a whopping near $3,000 more MSRP than it.
It was the only bike I was able to "accidentally" power wheelie. I actually think it has too much power for this style of bike. I'd be happy to have one in the garage if I could steal one used. I was interested in the Honda CB1100 until rode this thing. Weird how it's a faithful retro bike but with modern sportbike bits.
It's now my favorite bike in Kawasakis lineup.

After all of that, it felt good to get back on the GSXS.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts