GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the spirit of what others have done, I'm starting a thread for all things lost.

Since it's winter here, I've been spending more time looking at my bike than riding it. After staring at my white F for several weeks, I decided it needs more... something. It's become a blank canvas and it needs some color. I fired up my photo editor and went to work, adding some happy little clouds, some mountains, a babbling brook, and... et viola!

It's not a done deal - I'm still staring at the "beak" and the tail. But it's a general direction and I'm mostly settled on this red. The only thing I worry about is if it looks "too KTM" because I'm not trying to "do KTM". I am, however, trying to bring certain shapes and lines out a bit more.

Which is where you come in. Give it "the 5 second rule" test and let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Absolutely love it! Subtle yet aggressive. A different bike. KTM never came to mind, as yours has black frame. Flourescent Orange, white and black looks killer. Love the front fender color design as is unique, but ties in with the body orange.

Now do one with orange wheels as well. Love to see how that looks!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Makes me think of the "y" model wich I adore, but still unique. I can see that you can still do a little more with it, and keep it refined looking, but I can't figure out how myself haha.

I like it though!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I agree with Rapido in the sense that I love what you've done with it, and I don't think "KTM" when I see it.

My own thoughts:

1) I'd like to see it in some flavor of red instead instead of orange (maybe even the red that the Euro GSXS came in, I've always liked that color).

2) I'm not a fan of coloring the wheels (at least not orange).

·
Registered
539 Posts
Fairing seems a little too plain without the decal. I like the orange, but not that particular shade, I'd recommend Suzuki Candy Max Orange, I've seen it before on a 2008 GSXR, thought it was gorgeous. I think it could use an orange accent somewhere on the tail too.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
It took a while for the Penguin pic to drop, but now I can see why Quatro posted it. I fits in with the colour's suggested, beak to tail !
I think Freedom Penguin has a sole mate.

Rob.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I LIKE it! How did you make the pic? I've tried, but, I don't think I have the right software to change the colors.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I LIKE it! How did you make the pic? I've tried, but, I don't think I have the right software to change the colors.
Thank you! I use a Mac app called Pixelmator. It's not quite Photoshop but it has everything I need. There's a free/open source app called GIMP that could definitely get the job done too.

If you're new to it all, you basically need to (1) grab the shape you want to work with using one of the "selector" tools, and (2) play around with the color tools until you're happy with the effect.

Maybe I'll do a tutorial someday.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
So Lost, are you actually gonna do it, or just playing around? If so, how would you do the orange and black? Painter? wrap? I think it looks great. And as you know, I changed my color scheme and now am so much happier with my bike! And yours would be so much nicer than mine... now get to it and take that sucker apart, you can’t ride now anyways!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm definitely going to do it. I'll probably use a custom color plasti-dip at first because I can just peel it off. Photoshop only gets you so far, as you know first-hand. Once I'm happy with it I'll have it professionally painted.

Been thinking about the wheels... I'm going to do something, but it won't be a solid color.

Yes, it's time to take the plastic off and get to cleaning.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Turned my F into a neked for a while. Big ups to Stromer for translating the instructions in the tech manual.

FTFM:

Remove 5 clipping points to side cowl, pull out to body inside direction.
Translated:

...Once you get the rear clip out from under the faring to above the fairing, just pull towards the back of the bike and she pops right off.
Might as well do a bunch of other things while she's bare. I do want to track down that elusive accessory plug.

Next step is to throw away those turn signals, separate the black and white plastics, and start scrubbing.

Paint is on the way.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Project stalled due to competing priorities, but I made some progress today. My plans have evolved a bit since my original design, and it's going to require more labor and material. But I think most of you will like the results.

Separated the white and black plastics.

Never used the shower in the basement bathroom. Until today. Don't tell my wife.

De-badged and drying near the furnace.

Next up: A little Goo-Gone to remove any remaining adhesive, and a good wipe down with rubbing alcohol.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The plan was to wrap much of the black bits in white carbon fiber. Turns out the texture of the carbon fiber wrap makes it much harder to work with, and I found it brittle. Even with knife tape the edges would be jagged due to the pattern. No pics because I was too frustrated to take any.

Next I tried a pearl white wrap. While it went on much better, it did not match and looked horrible.

After 2 frustrating weekends with vinyl wrap, I decided to have everything painted. Local shop did a great job at a decent price, and I'm happy with the results. I have decals on order and am working on "phase two" plans. Will share mockups at some point. For now, here's the blank canvas.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts