GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The MF'r New Years Ride Report -- 2015/2016

I decided to throw the GSX-S into the back of the Frontier and head up to Robbinsville, N.C. for a 2 day ride--Thursday 12/31/15 and Friday 1/1/2016.
The weather looked just good enough to make it worth while and I needed to try out my brand new Scoot in its natural environment. I had added OEM Heated Grips and wanted to see how they did in cold weather and I also installed a 45T rear Sprocket to make life more interesting.

Thursday 12/31/2015: A front has just passed thru and I was hoping that I would get dry road for Thursday but it was a 50/50 split. Everything slightly elevated was draped in fog and mist and the roads were wet. Hwy 129 got magically wet just about 1/2 from the Cheoah Dam and 28 and remained wet they entire length! Cherohaha was totally fogged on and I could not see more than 5 feet so I spent most of the day wandering around. I did hit some impressively high speeds on 129 along the river just out of Robbinsville where it was dry which is "always" fun. The temps remained in the 40's and the heated grips worked just fine along with my heated jacket liner and gloves. My hands never got cold.

Friday 1/1/2016: What a glorious morning!!! I waited until about 8:45am to roll and I hauled ass over to Cherokee to jump on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The 45T rear sprocket did not cause me any bother on HWY 74 heading over at speeds of 80 to 85mph. The Revs sit at about 6000rpm at 85mph and no reason whatsoever to down shift if you wish to speed up!! The bike is incredibly comfortable and smooth on the slab and I was very pleased. I jumped off 74 onto 19 and the bike superb going up and down thru the gears. Once I on got on the Parkway I just left it in 6th and it was perfect even at speeds down to 30mph. I have owned 10 bikes since 2010 and this bike, with its gearing, is absolutely perfect for me and my planned Hooligan activities and for light touring duties!! Once I gained some altitude on the Parkway I was greated with an absolutely beautiful Smokey Mountains vistas in all directions. It never got below 40 degrees F up there even up at 6000 feet. It was a awesome experience for Jan 1st riding in the Blue Ridge.

I turned around at the Highpoint and shot back over to Deal Gap to see how the Suzuki would perform over there.

Once on 129 at Deals Gap, the bike totally blew my mind. I could leave it in 3rd gear the entire time and have a total blast. But a total blast is never good enough for me so I did a couple of runs in 2nd gear. Holy ****!! Leave Traction Control on at all times and use the throttle sparingly. I spun the rear wheel several times and TC kicked in -- both in 2nd and 3rd gear. The surge that I love some much about this bike with stock gearing that comes on around 6 to 7K rpm is there ALL THE TIME with the 46T!!!

In summary, the bike handles great, is crazy fast, is extremely comfortable, OEM Heated Grips work fine and most of all funner than ****.

I retouched some of the photos that I had posted earlier and added some others--all are below in random order for your viewing enjoyment.

IMG_7408 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
IMG_7410 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
IMG_7414 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
IMG_7427 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
IMG_7442 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
IMG_7354 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
IMG_7360 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr
IMG_7372 by Matthew Fields, on Flickr

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
400 Posts
Great write up and cool pics thanks for sharing dude.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
85 Posts
excellent. i lived back east for most of my life before moving to southern california. that area around NC/TN is some of the best riding you'll find anywhere, in the world. we have it pretty good here in CA, so many roads, too many to count all over the state, but your photos brought back some good memories for me of taking my r1200r down from NY to ride the area back in '09 and '10 when i first started riding. good stuff. a few photos for y'all. i am having some work done on my gsx-s1000, will post photos when it's done, but after a few hundred miles i can say, i love the bike. my beemer is going to a nice gent in texas this week, end of an era; i'll miss her.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
excellent. i lived back east for most of my life before moving to southern california. that area around NC/TN is some of the best riding you'll find anywhere, in the world. we have it pretty good here in CA, so many roads, too many to count all over the state, but your photos brought back some good memories for me of taking my r1200r down from NY to ride the area back in '09 and '10 when i first started riding. good stuff. a few photos for y'all. i am having some work done on my gsx-s1000, will post photos when it's done, but after a few hundred miles i can say, i love the bike. my beemer is going to a nice gent in texas this week, end of an era; i'll miss her.

I grew up in So Cal and agree there is so any riding choices. We used to do bad things at the Rock Store long before they named the place The Snake!! I have ridden my former GSA out to So Cal twice and just barely touched a few of the roads I grew up on!

Great looking R1200R man! You look like you had been there 1000 times in those pics!

You will find the GSXS an amazing roadie and its performance is better than I ever expected. If I had the time I would not hesitate riding it to Cali. Pack light and wear the same undies for a week!!! Until I don't have a job to be at my S1000XR will serve me well during all long haul missions where I can pack enough undies for 3 weeks!!!

Enjoy the new bike!!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
thanks mjfields, i am very much looking forward to riding the gsx-s1000, mostly for track days nad short day trips (i live in marina del rey so the canyons are basically my back yard. i traded in my honda cb1000r for the 'zuki, and loving it so far. i also have a 2015 ducati multistrada s, but did demo the bmw s1000xr, that's quite a bike if not for the buzzy bars and pegs it would have been a tougher choice, but i LOVE my multi. :)

I grew up in So Cal and agree there is so any riding choices. We used to do bad things at the Rock Store long before they named the place The Snake!! I have ridden my former GSA out to So Cal twice and just barely touched a few of the roads I grew up on!

Great looking R1200R man! You look like you had been there 1000 times in those pics!

You will find the GSXS an amazing roadie and its performance is better than I ever expected. If I had the time I would not hesitate riding it to Cali. Pack light and wear the same undies for a week!!! Until I don't have a job to be at my S1000XR will serve me well during all long haul missions where I can pack enough undies for 3 weeks!!!

Enjoy the new bike!!!!

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
1,884 Posts
Great pics, nice riding, but hey did you finish up in the ditch on that last shot ? :laugh:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great pics, nice riding, but hey did you finish up in the ditch on that last shot ? :laugh:

Knock on Wood, but I have yet to meet the Sausage Creature up at Deals Gap!!!

Over on the ADV Forum we were discussing the fact that with all the leaves fallen, it truly reveals how nasty any venture off road would be up there! It is best to do what ever it takes to stay on the asphalt when playing around up there!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts