GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here she is with the fairings off. I wanted to learn how to remove and reinstall them to do my own oil changes, check hoses, wires and connections. Basically my own maintenance. It was tricky at first and I hit a snag or two but learned a lot. The fairings are very well designed, go back on easier than they come off, nice and snug. I'm confident I can get them off next time in about twenty minutes.

This .pdf file here which most of you probably have, has some very good information on almost every aspect of the bike and decent enough (but not very in depth) instruction on removing the fairings.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It is certainly easier second time around, I used plenty of silicone on the connections so should come off easy next time..If I remember right, you only need to remove the LH side to change oil & filter, but doing it yourself is the way to go, save some money & you know it's done right.

·
Registered
222 Posts
This .pdf file here which most of you probably have, has some very good information on almost every aspect of the bike and decent enough (but not very in depth) instruction on removing the fairings.

Thanks for the info. From the PDF, can you translate " Remove 5 clipping points to side cowl, pull out to body inside direction" on Page 69? Either removing or replacing these panels is where the dreaded scratch takes place.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
It's fitting the final top black panels from what I can make out of the scratches the dealer put in mine. Plus the fact I nearly went and did it also when refitting them. I was using a cloth which saved my tank cover but someone else suggested some gaffa tape and I think that's a much better idea which I will use the next time

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. From the PDF, can you translate " Remove 5 clipping points to side cowl, pull out to body inside direction" on Page 69? Either removing or replacing these panels is where the dreaded scratch takes place.
That is correct, Lucky. You must cover the tank cover with a towel of some kind. You pop those five clipping points loose and while pulling on the panel to the center, or left for the right side and right for the left side. ... The dreaded scratch is caused by that metal clip at the aft part of each cover. you must carefully bend that back part and bring the metal clip from underneath the painted part to on top of it. Pull towards the inside and it will come right off.

·
Registered
222 Posts
That is correct, Lucky. You must cover the tank cover with a towel of some kind. You pop those five clipping points loose and while pulling on the panel to the center, or left for the right side and right for the left side. ... The dreaded scratch is caused by that metal clip at the aft part of each cover. you must carefully bend that back part and bring the metal clip from underneath the painted part to on top of it. Pull towards the inside and it will come right off.

Thanks!
I'll be needing to remove them soon.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What is the right way to remove the front bottom part of the fairing. I mean the plastic piece which is located on the very bottom of the fairings which connects both side fairings together.There is one screw on right side and a clip in the left side.Because of this I always struggle to remove the fairings one side at a time . So unwillingly i have to remove both side fairings together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts