GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Blue/Black F
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve noticed some gsxs models have a petrol tank stay that conveniently supports the tank when it’s hinged up. My bike is a 2018 F but doesn’t have it. Does anyone know if they are a standard part that will fit all models?
Thanks

·
Registered
734 Posts
I’ve noticed some gsxs models have a petrol tank stay that conveniently supports the tank when it’s hinged up. My bike is a 2018 F but doesn’t have it. Does anyone know if they are a standard part that will fit all models?
Thanks
Short length of wood at the base of the tank works great. I wrapped mine in an old towel to avoid marking anything. I had the stay for my SV1000S and the wood is a better solution.

·
Registered
734 Posts
This is another forum users photo (not mine).
Last time i couldn't find timber i used my torque wrench inside its case, also worked great.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Blue/Black F
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Cainus83
I’ve sometimes wondered what else I could use my torque wrench for 😏. My micrometer cracks walnuts open no worries at all!
Seriously, sometimes you see something like that tank stay and you think, “gee I wish I had one one those.”

·
Registered
102 Posts
The tool that Suzuki sell is overpriced for what it is but it's not a great deal of money especially when weighed against the value of the item it's holding up. It effectively locks in place by fitting over and into parts on the bike.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I am cheap. So is scrap wood from my woodworking hobby.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here's what it looks like. It should work for all models.

It's definitely overpriced for what it is but I've put it to good use. I haven't had to use anything else to prop up the fuel tank and it takes up very little space in my toolbox.

This was the best picture I could find of it in use.

·
Registered
2018 Blue/Black F
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's what it looks like. It should work for all models.

View attachment 44746

It's definitely overpriced for what it is but I've put it to good use. I haven't had to use anything else to prop up the fuel tank and it takes up very little space in my toolbox.

This was the best picture I could find of it in use.
View attachment 44747
Thanks for the pics there motobc. I thought it was installed on the tank as a permanent fixture. Like others I’ve use bits of wood and whatnot but that looks cleaner and a bit more stable.

·
Registered
2018 Blue/Black F
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A ratchet strap hooked to the passenger seat latch support is the best way I've found to support the tank, gives an unobstructed workspace below the tank and no worries about knocking the support out of place.
Great suggestion - thanks
I’m new to this hinged tank concept and the 2 times I’ve had to work underneath the tank I used a cord tied to one of the garage roof supports. This gave me unrestricted access but I have to move things around a bit to do that. Didn’t get a chance the other day to order a stay so before I do I’ll give this a shot. 👍🏻

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks
I short piece of PVC pipe works perfectly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts