GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any or everyone's thermo fan comes on when commuting around town at low speed, a lot of you I understand are coming out of winter and the fan would not have even thought of comming on but mine will turn on and off if I am plodding around town in traffic in 1st or 2nd gear very slow and it doesn't go out till I can pick up some speed to get some air flow, the temperature is starting to get cooler now and the cooler days under 20c it hasn't come on but above that it does, I'm not too concerned as its a lean performance engine wanting to get out on the open road with air flow but just curious if others were the same.
My other bikes never had the fan come on once I don't think even in 40c days

·
Registered
371 Posts
If it's above 80 F (26 C) my fan will come on while I'm waiting at a stoplight and then goes off once I get about around 30 mph. I am impressed with fan actually, it's very quiet and I mostly only notice the warm breeze on my ankles.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My fan comes on very frequently when sitting in traffic. It's hot down here in South Florida.

·
Registered
44 Posts
As above mine comes on quite a lot too, much more than any other bike i must admit. Glad to see its the norm for these bikes

·
Registered
299 Posts
I think the Japanese motorcycles have an inherent problem because the fan NEVER came on when I had my Harley.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just curious ....does the screen show engine temp in degrees ?
No it has 6 bars from memory to show the temp, the first 3 light up fairly quickly then stays that way, I think if the forth bar lights up then the temp light will come on .
Cheers for the replies everyone and it is good to know it's normal and everyone's does it for peace of mind, this is actually the first water cooler bike I have had come to think of it so I just had not experienced it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
No it has 6 bars from memory to show the temp, the first 3 light up fairly quickly then stays that way, I think if the forth bar lights up then the temp light will come on .
Cheers for the replies everyone and it is good to know it's normal and everyone's does it for peace of mind, this is actually the first water cooler bike I have had come to think of it so I just had not experienced it.
Pg. 2-21 of my owner's manual:

"When the coolant temperature
exceeds 116°C (241°F), all six LCD
segments turn on. When the coolant
temperature comes to 120°C (248°F),
the water temperature mark blinks,
and the indicator light turns on. If
all six LCD segments for the temperature
indication turn on, stop the
engine, wait until the engine is cooled,
and check the coolant level."

If we assume that each bar represents 4°C, that gives us:

0 bars 92°C or less
1 bar 96°C
2 bars 100°C
3 bars 104°C
4 bars 108°C
5 bars 112°C
6 bars 116°C
blinking 120°C

I have no evidence for this (it could be non-linear), but it seems reasonable. 102°C is about right for a high compression water cooled engine.

Most bike fans come on at 120°F (104°C), and I have felt the fan come on, but haven't seen 4 bars yet.

I'll check out the service manual when I get home and see if I can find anything else on this topic.

·
Registered
371 Posts
See the attached picture for a description of the coolant temp gauge.

edit: This chart is a bit hard to read at first. My understanding is that once it reaches the little circle with the 70°C label next to it, the 3rd bar will turn on. The fourth bar won't turn on until 110°C is reached.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
In the city, the fan works if I ride slowly. I've never seen 4 bars in the screen, only 3. In fact, I start the engine and I do not ride if the screen does not show 2 bar minimum.
When I arrived, I wait to hear the fan working, and when it stops, I stop the engine.

·
Registered
215 Posts
According to the service manual:

The cooling fan turns on at 105°C (221°F) and turns off at 100°C (212°F)
That is correct. I can validate that because (what temp the fan cycles on\off) I see temps in my Data Log with my Dyno Jet 300 POD.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I rode all through last winter in the UK and it still came up to three bars regardless of the outside temperature and then again in Spain in the summer the temp gage still stayed at 3 bars. The fan had to work a little harder but it still looked after the temperature.
I think the main thing to remember is there is also a valve ( thermostat) which will let more coolant through as the bike heats up circulate around the engine to the radiator and then reduce the flow when the the engine is cooler. You don't just rely on the fan to maintain a steady temperature

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts