GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ll preface by saying that I put a holeshot exhaust and tune on my 2016 GSXS1000 naked non-ABS over a year and a half ago. That along with one tooth drop on the front sprocket, and timing retard eliminator, resulted in more acceleration! Quite a bit more! I’ve done a few other upgrades, but none are real power adds. I bought it new in 2017. What a great bike! I went on a little ride this past weekend with a fellow member I met on this forum who is from my area. It was a blast! Great to have a seasoned rider close to my age to ride with. He will help keep me in check I hope! I must also mention that I have multiple bikes, and I love them all! This bike I also love! I can ride it for long distances without pain, it’s got power, and power wheelies galore! I chose to ride this bike because of our common interest, and because I wasn’t sure how far we’d go. So comfort won. I am glad I brought this one. Had a ton of fun. We even got pulled over. I am convinced that the fact that we pulled over directly, and we are both in our fifties, let us off with a warning after a safety lecture😄! I am amazed at my bike’s ability to power wheely at highway speeds. It’s better than stock tires make it handle better than stock (but I will still upgrade the shock). I will do brake lines and a little more aggressive pads soon, but a couple of my other bikes get some changes first. I bedded my brakes properly when the bike was new, and I’ve never had weak brakes like some have reported. When it was new, I thought they were a little vague, so I did a bedding in process on the ride home from the dealer. I think they work well, but would like a little more initial bite. My Bridgestone s21 is almost worn out with just short of 5000 miles on it. It’ll get a 190/55 next, probably S22. I don’t take it easy on the back tire, so price of play for me. But honestly, if I don’t do anything else to this bike, I will love it and ride it like it is anyway. I also plan to keep it forever. I still regret getting rid of my first standard, a 2003 Honda 919. I will keep this GSXS so as not to repeat history. It’s really pretty good the way it is. The whole package works. When I bought it, I had gone to a local dealer to try to look at an MT10 (they didn’t have), and walked out with this year old model for $8000 out the door, brand new! Great deal on a great bike! BTW I have never had the throttle snatch issue, but I keep my throttle cable at zero free play. I also did that on the ride home from the dealer. I learned that trick on the 919 I had back in the day. Worked on the Honda, worked on this bike. The GSXS1000 is not without its flaws. But, for $8k, I can afford to upgrade the flawed areas a bit. I still think it’s a bit ugly (something about the tail and the headlight’s Transformers look), but it’s beautiful mechanically- and, it’s fun to ride! I can take longish trips on it too- as long as I don’t need to carry anything. (No way I’m hanging bags on it, not my thing). Just wanted to share my enjoyment of our budget bikes!

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice write-up of your ownership experience.

I have the shorter version of the Holeshot muffler, and it is loud. I might switch to your version and
also install the DB killer to make it a little quieter.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice write-up of your ownership experience.

I have the shorter version of the Holeshot muffler, and it is loud. I might switch to your version and
also install the DB killer to make it a little quieter.
I think my version is perfect. It’s quiet when just riding/cruising, but barks when I get on it. Best of both worlds.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Always great to see a post from someone that is HAPPY and just enjoying their bike. Glad you avoided a ticket, too. I hate getting pulled over. But you are right about doing it right away. They like that. Makes them a little less likely to write the ticket (since enough idiots DO try to run.) Being older helps, too. Nice report. Keep living the dream my friend.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts