GSXS 1000 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey neighbor....bike looks awesome. I just got done with my red accents and need to get a couple pics up, doing a day trip to the mountains tomorrow so maybe I can get a decent back drop and take a couple pics.

What wind screen is that...a MRA? I like it...just a little bit bigger than my Puig. Cruising at 80+ I have a lot of wind on my chest, how does your wind screen do at cruising speed?

I know it's a naked and that's what you have to deal with but a little more screen might make it a bit more comfortable on longer rides.

I see new rubber too...you running Angels again? I went S21 on the rear and I'm very happy with it so far.
Thanks neighbor! Definitely post some pics after your ride! It’s a Yoshimura wind armor windscreen. Wind hits chest/neck area. Pirelli Rosso III’s. We need to meet up sometime.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey neighbor....bike looks awesome. I just got done with my red accents and need to get a couple pics up, doing a day trip to the mountains tomorrow so maybe I can get a decent back drop and take a couple pics.

What wind screen is that...a MRA? I like it...just a little bit bigger than my Puig. Cruising at 80+ I have a lot of wind on my chest, how does your wind screen do at cruising speed?

I know it's a naked and that's what you have to deal with but a little more screen might make it a bit more comfortable on longer rides.

I see new rubber too...you running Angels again? I went S21 on the rear and I'm very happy with it so far.
Thanks neighbor! Definitely post some pics after your ride. It’s the Yoshimura wind armor windscreen. Wind hits the chest/neck area. Pirelli Rosso III’s. Need to meet up sometime and ride.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks neighbor! Definitely post some pics after your ride. It’s the Yoshimura wind armor windscreen. Wind hits the chest/neck area. Pirelli Rosso III’s. Need to meet up sometime and ride.
I'll be checking out that wind screen for sure...definitely have to get up and hit some corners.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'll be checking out that wind screen for sure....definitely have to get up and hit some corners.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Thanks! Wheel strips definitely stand out. Yup new front tire, rotors, and pads. Let the abuse begin! And glad you decided to keep yours!
New rotors and pads to go with the new rubber - its going to feel like a different bike out on the road! Nice. Hope it rides and brakes great with the new parts. When I wear down the OEM pads some more, I'm going to look at putting something with more 'bite' on there. But the stock pads aren't bad; makes it hard to replace them with so much life still left.

Just curious - why new rotors? Did the shop bend the OEM units? Or you just felt like running something different up there? Shop bent my 929 rotors (many years ago!) and they were $330 each for a new ones. I was upset, as you might imagine. They denied doing anything so I was 'stuck'. I learned how to straighten rotors. What else can you do? (Buy new ones, lol!)

·
Registered
139 Posts
New rotors and pads to go with the new rubber - its going to feel like a different bike out on the road! Nice. Hope it rides and brakes great with the new parts. When I wear down the OEM pads some more, I'm going to look at putting something with more 'bite' on there. But the stock pads aren't bad; makes it hard to replace them with so much life still left.

Just curious - why new rotors? Did the shop bend the OEM units? Or you just felt like running something different up there? Shop bent my 929 rotors (many years ago!) and they were $330 each for a new ones. I was upset, as you might imagine. They denied doing anything so I was 'stuck'. I learned how to straighten rotors. What else can you do? (Buy new ones, lol!)
Front right rotor warped sometime when I was at Deals Gap back in June. Haven’t rode my GSXS but twice since I got back. Didn’t wanna go back with just stock so looked and looked till I finally found what I wanted. Wanted to try and improve upon the stock set. Nice hitting the brakes and it not shaking like crazy! Yeah that situation would suck but if they’re denying it what can you do!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Hey Scrub, congrats! You are the first member I have seen with aftermarket rotors. I switched mine out a while ago, made in UK by the company Braking, looks like you did the same! Combined with HH pads, is a definite upgrade in braking performance. And look good too!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Here's mine showing stock photo same day I got her (pretty boring).....to today after mods.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey Scrub, congrats! You are the first member I have seen with aftermarket rotors. I switched mine out a while ago, made in UK by the company Braking, looks like you did the same! Combined with HH pads, is a definite upgrade in braking performance. And look good too!
Thanks Rapido! Yeah upgraded to the Braking rotors also and Vesrah RJL pads. Very happy with the setup.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Front right rotor warped sometime when I was at Deals Gap back in June. Haven’t rode my GSXS but twice since I got back. Didn’t wanna go back with just stock so looked and looked till I finally found what I wanted. Wanted to try and improve upon the stock set. Nice hitting the brakes and it not shaking like crazy! <SNIPPED STUFF>
Warped rotor...that's no good. As you said, makes the bike miserable to ride. Can't live with that. I'm a little concerned it happened on a street ride though. The rotors are supposed to be 'floating' enough on their buttons to avoid warping on the road. You didn't have a fork leak with some fork fluid contaminating that side that warped, by chance? That'd make more sense. But to just have one overheat and warp is worrisome.

Regardless, it allowed you to upgrade (Braking rotors and Vesrah pads). Do you find the new pads have stronger initial bite? The stock pads seem 'good' but I'd like something that grabbed just a bit harder at initial braking. Also, the stock pads seem to 'fade' slightly (for me) with hard use. Thinking a different pad might help there, too.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Here's mine showing stock photo same day I got her (pretty boring).....to today after mods.
Hey @Razorbak, that looks really good. I like the red accents with the black. The fourth pic is especially nice as it really reveals how deep and dark the red is; it looks classy and cool.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Warped rotor...that's no good. As you said, makes the bike miserable to ride. Can't live with that. I'm a little concerned it happened on a street ride though. The rotors are supposed to be 'floating' enough on their buttons to avoid warping on the road. You didn't have a fork leak with some fork fluid contaminating that side that warped, by chance? That'd make more sense. But to just have one overheat and warp is worrisome.

Regardless, it allowed you to upgrade (Braking rotors and Vesrah pads). Do you find the new pads have stronger initial bite? The stock pads seem 'good' but I'd like something that grabbed just a bit harder at initial braking. Also, the stock pads seem to 'fade' slightly (for me) with hard use. Thinking a different pad might help there, too.
Fork seals are all good no leaks! Hopefully it’ll stay that way! Can’t give a complete review yet on the pads I’ve only put about 50 miles on the new setup and have been not hammering them terribly hard yet. The pads said nothing about bedding them in but the info that came with the rotors did. Not a cheap investment so figured I’d give it a few miles to bed in properly. Overall impression so far is they have a good initial bite and think they would be a definite improvement over stock. Had DP(RDP) pads before and these seem so far to be just as good and hopefully even better but time will tell. This is the first set of Vesrah pads I’ve run. Always looking to improve my brakes! Only one thing better than going fast and that’s stopping fast!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Where did you take the pictures at? Kerr Scott?
Yes that's Kerr.... 1 pic below the dam and 1 pic above, didn't come across any mountain scenic overlooks to use as a back drop.

Thanks for the compliments guys...been thinking about doing the wheels in that deep red too, but that might be too much red. But if I do they will definitely go to my body shop man to get painted.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey Saxa,
Couldn't get your pic to open. Not sure why that happens. Usually they open fine, but every now and then, I click and...nothing. The thumbnail looks promising. Here is my 'nearly stock' machine. I only post it because this thread needed some color ;)
I have to admit Frog the black and red is my favorite, I went with the gray because I ran across a really good deal and it already had the tail tidy and full M4 so that's probably 1,200.00 for those 2 items that I got for free, not to mention the labor too. IMO the gray needs a little help color wise, that's why I'm doing the red accents....Question for you...my black frame (in the sun) has a hint of metal flake. Does your black body panels have the same metal flake in it too?

I might paint my gray black but I want to do a black with a red metal flake undertone....I used to have a black Katana and it had a purple flake undertone, looked really good.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts