GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the 46 on last year and put the 16 on today. First impression is that engine braking has increased. 3rd gear feels like an extended 2nd gear and 4th gear like an extended 3rd. It is buzzier than before, or just more urgent feeling. There is a sort of hum/whine around 130km/h in any gear even with a bumpered sprocket. This noise wasn’t there with the original 17 tooth, no bumper sprocket. Any ideas?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have this setup, been running it for over 1300miles. It's made the bike buzzer in general at lower speeds and faster acceleration however this is to be expected as the revs are higher at any given speed. I think I'll be going back to stock soon as I don't feel I need it anymore.
Mine has buzzed at a tad under 5500rpm no matter what gear/sprocket/speed. It's not great really but I speed up or slow down to alleviate it. I'm not sure if this is down to my fuel map or not?? I've got k&n, arrow headers, power commander, auto tune, servo & secondary air delete.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have changed the gearing also. I have heard the whine you speak about, came on when I changed the front sprocket. Thought it was in my head actually. I could associate it with any speed or throttle position/movement ie rolling off. I have done nothing further about it. Mainly since I couldn't reliably repeat it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have this setup, been running it for over 1300miles. It's made the bike buzzer in general at lower speeds and faster acceleration however this is to be expected as the revs are higher at any given speed. I think I'll be going back to stock soon as I don't feel I need it anymore.
Mine has buzzed at a tad under 5500rpm no matter what gear/sprocket/speed. It's not great really but I speed up or slow down to alleviate it. I'm not sure if this is down to my fuel map or not?? I've got k&n, arrow headers, power commander, auto tune, servo & secondary air delete.

I will do the same I think and go back to stock. It was perfect at that gearing, really comfortable in every gear and plenty fast. We have almost the same set up although I have Holeshot’s tuning package minus his muffler, also Arrow.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have changed the gearing also. I have heard the whine you speak about, came on when I changed the front sprocket. Thought it was in my head actually. I could associate it with any speed or throttle position/movement ie rolling off. I have done nothing further about it. Mainly since I couldn't reliably repeat it.
It gets on my nerves actually. It wasn’t there before and although the torque increase is fun, it isn’t enough to tolerate the distraction. Actually the bike was perfect prior to the 16 going in but I wanted to try it after hearing about it here. Personally the shorter wheelbase and the smoother response of the 17 wins. I also have a 190/55 rear tire so it’s not that far off stock with the 46 rear sprocket. That combo is smiles for miles.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I was going to drop a tooth off the front sprocket to lower first a little but already feel that 6th is too short for high mile cruising so after some consideration decided to leave it be.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I will do the same I think and go back to stock. It was perfect at that gearing, really comfortable in every gear and plenty fast. We have almost the same set up although I have Holeshot’s tuning package minus his muffler, also Arrow.
I personally think the lower gearing is too tall for a street bike in stock form, I like the lower gears 1-3 with 16-46 but it also makes 4-6 short and that's what I don't like. I also did the gearing for the throttle snatch, I thought being in second round a small island would be smoother than being in first. The island outside my work in stock gearing would mean I have to slip the clutch to be in second but trying to go round that island in first is a joke with it yanking the gearbox and chain. I think most bikes I've ridden have to short 6th gear, I know the engine need to be a certain rpm to have enough torque but if I want to accelerate quick I'd drop a gear or two, if I'm on a motorway I want the rpm as low as possible.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've got 16/46 and I love it, will not go back stock. I didn't buy think I was buying a Cadillac car, I wanted a raucous naked bike and that's what it is.
Neither did I, I have another bike for that, it just gets boring siting on the bike while it's reving it's nut off just going the speed of traffic or slightly above, I have a 15miles motorway journey I do twice a week. It doesn't mean I don't tear it up the rest of the journey, that's why I bought the beast, just wish 6th was a bit longer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts