GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you guys/girls think the Katana will sell , being that its basically a Gsx-s with different plastics ,but costing almost 3 thousand dollars more.
does it come with better part than the regular gsx.
also every dealer within a 150 mile radius of my house says they are not going to carry it but will order one for me.is it a special order bike.

my thoughts are that this model will flop due to it costing so much more that the gsx-s,andi belive they just hyping it up to sell, but in truth its just a parts bin bike . I love the look of the bike ,I was 18 years old when the first Katana came out(yea im an old man)and always loved the look ,but I cant see myself paying 14k for a bike that is the same as an 11k bike .

·
Registered
51 Posts
It will flop for no other reasons that, in general, big 'naked' or 'standard' bikes don't sell well, and this is true for all manufacturers. .at least in the USA. . the dealers are not keen to have them languishing in their showrooms, when they would eventually be forced to drop their(not the factory) inflated prices as the bikes don't sell.

…….and about the price, the BMW S1000RR, Aprilia RSV4 1100, or Ducati V4S would run you upward of $25,000 offering perhaps 10% more performance or quality.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Every unit of the initial order in AU and UK sold out.

It strikes a chord with some of us, I had a 750 Pop Up as a young fella. Now I have the 2020 version.

It’s simply a case of liking the unique look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
890 Posts
I think it's a one year bike. Everyone who wanted one will have gotten them in the first run and will love them because it's exactly what they wanted. Then they will languish. Those cross shopping won't choose it for a lot of reasons. The looks are polarizing for sure. That 3.2 gallon tank isn't helping either.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I bet Suzuki is going to change it up a bit , it will end up with a bigger tank . I think it will be around for a few years then I wouldn't be surprised if they come up with a whole new GSXS series, with the latest GSXR detuned motor in it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
It's like I said in another post this bike should have looked like the rumored 1135R katana.
That bike looks awesome but I doubt suzuki will build it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think it is a great looking bike but, for me, that does not justify a $3K investment over the regular GSX S1000. As mentioned above, I think there are those that will have to have it from a nostalgia point of view and then things will tail off. I hope it does well...

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
The look of the Katana has kinda grown on me, but 3K more and especially the smaller tank. No thanks. It seems like the Katana could lure people into the show rooms where they discover the real value options of the S1000 and S1000F.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Might as well just charge 3k for an aftermarket Katana bodywork kit.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Range could be an option for sure.
With my riding I’m happy to fuel up every 200km. By then I’m ready for a coffee

My other ride is an M109R so 200km is about the normal range.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Hi Tombie,
Anything to report yet about your bike ? How's the Katana behave with the extra emissions in regard to the 'jerky throttle' at low revs at a built up suburban constant speed ?
I think that's an important question many here (especially those lurkers looking for a either version of a GSX-S to buy) would like you to share with all here.

Rob.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Rob,

I haven’t had a chance to put too many Km on it yet.
So far I’m impressed by its overall smoothness (my other ride is an M109R).

I’ve just adjusted the KYB on the rear as the rebound was a little soft for my fat arse and it’s better. An aftermarket unit may be in the future.

The throttle is definitely smoother, although it still suffers a bit of snatch coming back on from over-run with the fuel cut. Looking to tune that out in the near future.

I’m not a hard rider, it’s more than enjoyable. I put 900km on it the other weekend and overall it’s pretty balanced.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Fuel capacity has to be a big negative

Depends what your riding is like I guess.

I’m getting about 120 miles now as it’s run in a bit more, so by then I’m happy to hop off for a bit, fuel up, grab a drink.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi lads. I rode the original Kat 1100. I had the 650 Kat (shaft Drive...omg watch your down shifts in the wet). I had the 750 (with the Pop up head Light (that didn't work)…..At the time it was skinny wheels, crap suspension, and don't even mention Suzuki Alternator/ regulator /rectifiers !...But the Styling was so Radical combined with that Suzuki Motor was Like todays Kat. You hated it until you rode it !
I ride a VFR 800 to work every day. When I picked up the Kat (Melbourne CBD, Pissing Down, Friday Peak Hour, Mirrors not adjusted, indicator and horn switch upside down) , I thought, what have I bought ? My Arse is trying to climb on the Pillion to feel Normal. The handlebars are Twitchy...As is The Throttle ...Ill say it again ...That throttle Doesn't like Bumps in the road.I had some regrets about buying this Bike.
Sunday, I just did 150km up the back of Heatcote. The motor is loose now. I did some twisties near Puckapunal :D and came back down the Hume.
I am 57 and my Kat gives me the same Buzz I had 30 years ago !....

·
Registered
890 Posts
Jaydee, I hadn't seen that black and red. That's a definite improvement, but I've never been much of a fan of silver anyway.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Why doesn't Suzuki put the accessory, red, yellow or blue painted calipers on stock bikes ? A least on a "Special Edition" GSX-S1000 run of bikes.
I am not saying Ohlins, ride by wire fueling, but a special sort of paint job like Yamaha did with their bikes with yellow tank with black blocks racing colours (Kenny Roberts ?).

Perhaps an F done with a Pepsi Racing themed paint job like on the RGV250 ? Suzuki seem to take so little interest in Motorcycle marketing today.
Every Car Maker brings out Special Editions with a change of season. I don't think the Katana is this sort of special edition; it's a long term branch off the existing Family, as per Kawasaki Z900RS is a spin off.

Rob.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts