GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most all of the reports of "wooden" brakes and less-than-ideal tires have been from reviews written/filmed after a 2-day test in Scotland, over 200 miles, hosted by Suzuki for moto-journalists, in very cool, wet conditions. Seems to me that new bikes, especially ones ridden in those conditions, would have brakes that haven't been fully "seated", and tires that haven't yet been scrubbed in thoroughly?

Just a thought. It'd be interesting to hear how the brakes and tires feel after 500 miles and in warmer, drier conditions.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Tires are easy to swap. My Yamaha Tracer 900 GT came with a cheap Dunlop type tire. I just rode it for a while then swapped to Bridgestone T31s, all the tires issues were gone. The brakes are simply a brake pad swap typically on a Suzuki. I have owned many of their GSXRs and they all had the pads swapped at some point. My 21 GSX-R1000R however came with a surprisingly good pad compound stock. But it also comes with braided brake lines stock.

I am personally not a fan of Dunlop tire anything so I do not see the tire complaint as a big deal for me,..

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These brake/tire reports are likely minor issues, and Suzuki may have used cheaper materials to reach a "price point" for the bike. Still, using better pads and tires seems like a no-brainer on a new model intro, if only to boost its appeal. But that would mean a higher price, no doubt.

I'll likely ride the OEM brakes/tires until they need changing.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to go out on a limb and say I'll bet the brakes aren't bad at all, nor the tires. A lot of moto-journalists believe they have to throw in a couple of so-called "negatives" so the review doesn't sound like a corporate press release. The real test is owners - what do THEY think, after riding the bike a couple thousand miles...not a couple hundred. Most good bikes get better with miles (my RR has 20,000 miles and it's better than it was new).

·
Registered
2022 GSX-S1000GT+ blue
238 Posts
I just read a review from RideApart where the guy was non stop talking about all the vibrations. Everyone has a different opinion on things that should be rather factual some times. I just don't get it. I will replace the pads with EBC HH or something like them and either Bridgestone S22s or go crazy and get the Michelin Road 5/6's.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just read a review from RideApart where the guy was non stop talking about all the vibrations. Everyone has a different opinion on things that should be rather factual some times. I just don't get it. I will replace the pads with EBC HH or something like them and either Bridgestone S22s or go crazy and get the Michelin Road 5/6's.
I vote for the Michelin Road 6...had them on a BMW F800GT and loved them.

Vibrations? Now that's funny. Several reviews I've seen said no vibration. Just goes to show...you gotta make your own judgments these days. I'll have to check that guy's review out.

Edit: Couldn't find the review...although there was one on the basic GSXS, not the GT. Hmmm.

·
Registered
1989 GSX750F, __ 2022 GSX-S1000GT
92 Posts
So...how to account for reviews saying vibes are absolutely minimal? Guess I'll find out when my bike arrives. As with all the bikes I've owned (9), vibes if they exist get much better as engine breaks in.
Yeh I just watched a video last night of a Scottish dude riding in a group of GT's across Scotland and he couldn't believe how smooth the bike was.
Here's the link to the video

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeh I just watched a video last night of a Scottish dude riding in a group of GT's across Scotland and he couldn't believe how smooth the bike was.
Here's the link to the video
I've watched that video...OK, I'll be honest...I've watched every video on the GT (LOL!). Smooth seems to be the word for this bike. Waiting, waiting...for the day I can describe how it really behaves.

This is the environment I ride in, and while I've enjoyed 5 years of riding this country on my RR, the comfort of the GT is like a "siren song" calling me:

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
These brake/tire reports are likely minor issues, and Suzuki may have used cheaper materials to reach a "price point" for the bike. Still, using better pads and tires seems like a no-brainer on a new model intro, if only to boost its appeal. But that would mean a higher price, no doubt.

I'll likely ride the OEM brakes/tires until they need changing.
I would be riding the bike as you mentioned and if you don't like the brakes consider something like EBC but who knows we all ride in different conditions and to various levels so what works for one rider might be a nightmare to another. I'm all for trying it out first before spending the $$$$,but by saying that, If I end up taking the new GT then the tyres will be gone as soon as I take it out of the packing crate.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This reviews supports what I thought - the tire and brake "underperformance" was related to the conditions on the press launch 2-day Scotland ride...cool and wet. Writer believes those conditions contributed greatly to the issue. Since I don't ride in rain, and cold days are no longer enjoyable to me for riding, I doubt the tires and brakes will need replacing. When they're due for replacement, THEN I'll opt for something else, probably.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
overthinking it.
get it and enjoy it or get it and fret thinking you got something better.

if you dont have another bike to compare it too, its a good bike., other bikes will be better or worst in diff ways. to be honest end of the day, there is no bad choice in bikes now a days, everything will do the job and do it well

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
overthinking it.
get it and enjoy it or get it and fret thinking you got something better.

if you dont have another bike to compare it too, its a good bike., other bikes will be better or worst in diff ways. to be honest end of the day, there is no bad choice in bikes now a days, everything will do the job and do it well
I never worried about it, but reading guys saying the tires and brake pads are coming off immediately upon delivery seemed like "putting the cart before the horse", based on a couple of reviews written after riding in the wet and cold. I never thought it would be a problem and was hoping to convey that it might not be worth it to spend money on new tires and brakes before spending time with the bike. I'm excited as all get-out about this bike, and that's from someone who's been riding BMW's for the past 10 years.

(Note to self: Keep my opinions to myself, because you know what they say about them...;))

End of subject...:)

1 - 20 of 77 Posts