GSXS 1000 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The engine in this bike is the crown jewel. Has been called in the past as the best in-line 4 ever built. The main frame is a hybrid of the original K5 design, the swingarm is straight off the 2009-2016 GSXR-1000. The rear shock is probably no better than the last GSXS version. I hope it’s better but with my light weight it’s probably to stiff as was the GSXS rear shock. The forks are from the 2005-2008 GSXR-1000s, not a bad Kayaba fork but depends what suzuki did with the spring rates and dampening rates. I owned a 2016 GSXS 1000 and changed my rear shock to a K-tech and it was way way better. I also ecu tuned the bike and it had a full M4 exhaust on it. The ecu ordeal was just that horrible and really tainted my future with the so called ecu flash.

I road raced with wera for 17 years at an expert level on both 600s and 1000s all Suzukis and the dyno tube with PCV was the best way to go not the over the counter ecu flash. Of course I’ve raced on some really nice suspension so my comments on stock suspended bikes is a read between the lines. I will say this though my 21 GSX-R1000R is almost as good as when I spent $4k on race suspension. Suzuki can put good stuff on their bikes but you have to remember it’s a price point sale for them. My GSXRR is a $19k Sportbike. And only the 22 Busa cost $600 more in their whole line up.

Just my two cents, I’ll deal with my GT+ once I get it. If it’s not as good at sport touring as my Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (which is a really good motorcycle) I’ll sell the Suzuki.

·
Registered
2022 GSX-S1000GT+ blue
238 Posts
I can only imagine how it will feel coming from a S1000RR! I’ve been without my FZ10 since December, so that helps me not have super recent memory of it. I’m still excited about getting a smooth inline 4 with wind protectiom, an auto blipper, and factory bags.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
These will throw you over the bars, I road raced on these for years and my suspension tuner hated them due to the upset into the chassis they delivered due to the incredible bite they had.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Why would you need/want race pads on a sport/tour bike? Seems like over-kill...and dangerous, if there's a risk of what you describe (although I'd think ABS would mitigate that?).

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
My sense is that any concerns about brakes, tires, quickshifter and cruise control are premature. I plan to get the bike, put a couple thousand miles on it within 2 months or less, and evaluate it then. Suzuki makes good bikes, so I'll assume this is one of them... :)

The one area that I'll have to adjust to is the service interval on the GSXS. Things like oil change interval (4K miles vs 6K on the BMW RR) and spark plug changes (7.5K miles vs 18K on the RR), among other maintenance items. I assume these intervals are correct...I used the naked GSXS intervals.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Why would you need/want race pads on a sport/tour bike? Seems like over-kill...and dangerous, if there's a risk of what you describe (although I'd think ABS would mitigate that?).
Well I do not but some were making reference to not having enough brake bite. The pads I listed will solve that problem. Me I am fine with what they come with had many Suzuki bikes with the same old pads.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello. I did a search but nothing exactly came up . If i missed it , my apologies. Does anyone know for sure if the Brembo calipers are the same as previous model gsx's ?
I ask because i want to search for aftermarket pads . Seeing as how the GT is a new model , a lot of brands show for the previous models GSX s1000 .

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Hello. I did a search but nothing exactly came up . If i missed it , my apologies. Does anyone know for sure if the Brembo calipers are the same as previous model gsx's ?
I ask because i want to search for aftermarket pads . Seeing as how the GT is a new model , a lot of brands show for the previous models GSX s1000 .
Exact same in fact I have a set of GSX-R600 oem brake pads new that I plan to put on the GT. The GSXR oem pads never had this wooden feeling the GT has.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
do you think its the compound to make them long lasting/ie. use for highways etc?
Pretty sure it just to give you a linear bite not a real bite on the rotors. I like the real bite at first contact of pad to rotor.

Mine have gotten better but I have been hammering them hard and the lever pressure to do so is just way to high for my liking.

·
Registered
2022 GSX-S1000GT+ blue
238 Posts
After riding mine for the first time last night, the brake master may be a lot of the issue. I have to really pull it close to get it to slow. Not at all confidence inspiring. I know they have to seat some, so I’ll be super hard on them off and on and see what happens in a few hundred miles. Brake pads seem to be the same fitment on many models, so I’ll try some HH pads then possibly a Brembo master.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts