GSXS 1000 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Either this brake thing is being wildly overblown, or Suzuki took a great bike concept and gave it a weak link. I lean toward the former, because unless Suzuki's designers and the executive office are complete idiots and don't realize that a major shortcoming can doom a model (think: Edsel), it makes no sense to hobble a good bike with lousy brakes for the whole world to see and shout about on "social" media.

·
Registered
576 Posts
So what is the cause of the wooden feeling brakes, is it just the pads, or other parts too?

Do you guys trail brake thru turns? I didn't used to, but I started doing it last year and I really like it. I am thinking that brakes that are too grabby might not work well with trail braking.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Suzuki has put crappy master cylinders on bikes for years now. They have had a full on recall for years now on going on bad master cylinders on GSXRs. They like to use Nissin on the master cylinders and they are known to be junk. Some worse than others. They just started using braided lines on the front of their GSX-RRs not the R base model. I raced many years on the so called junk front master cylinders and to be honest I never really had issue with them that some others had. Yes by the end of a 8-10 lap sprint race or 20 lap money race the lever was coming close to the bar but nothing I would say out of range. I ran higher temp racing brake fluid and bled them thoroughly and ran Vesrah RJL and SRJL extreme biting brake pads which in their on right build up tremendous heat the way they clamp on the initial bite. Brembo master is better but for years it was not allowed in superstock classes, superbike classes only. That has since changed. The brakes on the GT work fine for the average Joe and unless you are gridding up and chasing wins and laptimes you'll never notice them other than the lack of initial bite which is a pad compound not a totally junk master cyl.

·
Registered
2022 GSX-S1000GT+ blue
238 Posts
I’m just going to get the Brembo master with radial reservoir and be done. No such thing as a perfect bike and at this price point, small things will really step it up. Next will be a full exhaust. I can’t deal with the sewing machine quietness.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I’m just going to get the Brembo master with radial reservoir and be done. No such thing as a perfect bike and at this price point, small things will really step it up. Next will be a full exhaust. I can’t deal with the sewing machine quietness.
ha. for the first time, I want a quiet exhaust. im going to be listening to music the entire time, going to rock it quiet this time.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Agree on the loudness of the exhaust...I'd keep it stock.

As for changing items to make the bike "good" (brake pads, master cylinder, exhaust system, etc.), my perspective is that if a bike needs a bunch of stuff changed to make it acceptable, why not spend more for a bike and get one that has all that stuff already. I've read on forums comments from guys who went down the modification route and wound up with a bike that was good, maybe not great, from the factory that now runs poorly, makes too much noise and winds up being a nagging frustration...like the 3-legged stool problem.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
levers, tail tidy, turn signals and windshield are pretty much all im doing I believe. and paint protection film if anyone comes out with a kit, Japanese already selling it locally there, but can't find any pre cut kits here anywhere yet. id like PPF on the tank at least.

kinda wish I had a clear tail light.. anyone wanna trade red for clear? IF woolich releases a flash, going to get it, but leave fuel map alone, just enable the good stuff, earlier fan speed, disabled retarded gearing, and butterflies open on wot for most part, probably fuel cut as well.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I chased the ecu over the counter flash on my 2016 naked GSX bike and 3 ecus later it still ran weird. My racebikes were tuned on a dyno by a dynojet tuner and used a PCV and they all ran great! None of that was cheap but neither was racing to begin with.

·
Registered
2022 GSX-S1000GT+ blue
238 Posts
A “better” bike with all the goodies is $20k plus . Then you get to deal with all the Euro issues that come with it. I will have to put miles on it and decide on exhaust. Have to wait for a tune either way.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'd been looking at a new exhaust before I got it and people local sell LeoVince but I was pleasantly surprised with the stock sound its not like most new bikes which are like sewing machines and I've had a few over the years recently.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Exact same in fact I have a set of GSX-R600 oem brake pads new that I plan to put on the GT. The GSXR oem pads never had this wooden feeling the GT has.
Thanks for the info. It'll help with searching for options . Hopefully they make a difference. I just find the GT's brakes a bit different. Almost like nothing there at all when you first pull the lever . No linear reaction to your pressure applied sorta thing.The 16 R1 i just sold supposedly had "wooden" brakes according to reviews and they felt so much better than these. The 21 mt 09 i traded on the GT felt better as well.
I want to be fair and give the brakes a few miles on them , but i already have about 600 km's on them and they still feel the same.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
A “better” bike with all the goodies is $20k plus . Then you get to deal with all the Euro issues that come with it. I will have to put miles on it and decide on exhaust. Have to wait for a tune either way.
No question, but by the time an owner, say, puts heated grips, new tires, new brake pads, new master cylinder, full exhaust, suspension "upgrade" and a different screen (perhaps), that $13,799 GT MSRP gets within shouting distance of $20K, and the $20K bike already has heated grips, good tires, electronic suspension.

I actually like the idea of the simplicity of the GT, though. And plan to leave it as it came from the factory...if it ever gets here. I've seen more of Bigfoot than the GT.

·
Registered
2022 GSX-S1000GT+ blue
238 Posts
It doesn’t help that I just had a modded FZ10. I may give it some time. Just ordered Puig axle sliders with blue inserts and black 90deg valve stems. Also have a Kijima helmet lock for a KTM RC390 coming.

·
Registered
2022 GSX-S1000GT+ blue
238 Posts
Finally rode mine the other night about 10 miles. If those front brakes don't seat after I pound on them a bunch tomorrow, the motorcycle journalists were far too nice calling them wooden. Many of them ragged on the FZ10/MT10 front brakes, they were far better than these unless they change after I get some miles on it. I've been hearing that doesn't change, so I'm already planning on going with the Brembo RCS19 and some EBC HH (or comparable) front pads. That should get it where I need it to be. I was pulling quite hard and the lever was very close to my grip and not much was happening

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Finally rode mine the other night about 10 miles. If those front brakes don't seat after I pound on them a bunch tomorrow, the motorcycle journalists were far too nice calling them wooden. Many of them ragged on the FZ10/MT10 front brakes, they were far better than these unless they change after I get some miles on it. I've been hearing that doesn't change, so I'm already planning on going with the Brembo RCS19 and some EBC HH (or comparable) front pads. That should get it where I need it to be. I was pulling quite hard and the lever was very close to my grip and not much was happening
That sounds pretty awful. I wonder how large a performance gap there will be between the brakes on my BMW RR and the GT...it promises to be huge, from comments like these. Hmmm...

41 - 60 of 77 Posts