GSXS 1000 Forum banner

throttle free play

8K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Slower and Slower 
#1 ·
my first 600 mile service is coming up soon and the dealer said he will take out the play in my throttle if i want, it doesn't bother me that much but just wondering how many on here have done it and is it worth it

#3 ·
My dealer set it "to spec" and it was quite loose...

Here is how I do it:
  1. get the bike up to operating temp
  2. tighten the adjuster until there is barely any play
  3. turn the handlebars lock-to-lock and listen for any change in idle speed
  4. if no change in idle speed, tighten the adjuster 1 turn, then go back to step 3
  5. once you hear a change in idle speed, turn the adjuster back out 1 whole turn

The bike is a lot easier to manage now!

#7 · (Edited)
A loose throttle cable will make the bike more jerkier than people say it already is. I tighten my cable so that there's no play. It's not necessary to turn the handlebars lock to lock to make sure the throttle is free. Only Harley Davidson, non fly-by-wire, bikes need that. But most Harleys don't even use cables anymore, they are remote control.

Like Fog Ducker said, learn the basic simple stuff and you'll save yourself a lot of unnecessary headaches.

#14 ·
I agree tonyt.
Unless you are in the living in the Land of Joy where all the roads are billiard table smooth, the purpose of a 2 -4 mm slack is to give your throttle hand some lee way when the front wheel hits a pot hole or tar mountain. And when you ease off your grip the throttle going down hill, it similarly gives you a buffer on unexpected throttle movement.

Before I did the TPS reset, I had wound out the slack for the reason being I wanted to consciously control the throttles every move as the motor would die back if I flinched off a thousandth of a degree.
I have since re adjusted to give 2 mm slack it needs for my safety.
Real Racetrack Hero's are the ones who need zero throttle slack as they are going flat out or braking hard.
Just ask MM or his best mate Vale; they'll confirm it.

Rob.

#12 ·
Ok I rode around today and noticed the same thing....bike only has 10 miles on it. Throttle felt really loose compared to my zx10. Starting off from a stand still felt very awkward...so I tightened up the cable with the bike running. Now the throttle is nice and responsive, just like it should be from the factory. VERY crisp. ...Just a little advise...rev up the bike and make sure it doesn't stick. You want it to return fully. Also, keep it running and turn the handlebars, as others have advised.

Lesson here is ......adjust the **** cable and you will be PLEASED !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.