GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying that I have been riding for years, have owned many bikes between 1970 and now, I believe that I am a competent and proficient rider, and last but not least I own and ride a GSX S1000 ABS. That being said, I became aware of the "snatchy throttle issue" prior to buying the bike but I was so drawn to the bike that I purchased it anyway with the hopes that maybe the problem wasn't as bad as I was reading about and seeing on YouTube. Unfortunately for me, the throttle on my bike is horrible. Hitting a bump while riding fast through a curve can cause a sudden engine surge and scare the crap out of you. Taking the slack out of the throttle cables did not help. I consider the bike to be somewhat dangerous when riding hard and fast through the twisties. It mistifies me how some owners report that their bikes don't have the problem and I don't doubt what they say, but I am convinced that the majority of the bikes do suffer from the "snatchy throttle syndrome".

Now to get to my point of this post, there is a company called G2 Ergonomics and they produce a replacement throttle tube called a Throttle Tamer. It is basically a tube with a cam action that "softens" the throttle response for the first 25 or 30 percent of throttle rotation. See their website for a better explanation. They produce replacement throttle tubes for many bikes with very favorable reviews. Their website does not show a replacement tube for the GSX S1000 so I called them and they said they didn't have any info on the bike.

To make a long story a little shorter, I ordered a replacement throttle tube from my Suzuki dealer and sent it to Gary at G2 Ergonomics. He called me today and said that based on the tube I sent him, they now have a Throttle Tamer for the GSX S1000 and will be sending me one tomorrow. Based on reviews of the product, it doesn't totally solve the snatchy throttle issue but does make throttle response more manageable. I will post my findings after I install it but it will be about a week before I get to it.

PS...I love the bike, I think it is tremendous value for the money, I will keep the bike, but I will do all I can to solve the throttle issue even if it means installing a Power Commander V. But a Throttle Tamer is only $80 so I'll start there. Finally, I have no confidence that Suzuki will address the issue.....I hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Nice work! I had contacted G2 and was going to take photo's and measurements to send them, looks like I don't need to now :)

I've got a bazzaz unit on the way and a healtech X-TRE ready to go in with some dyno time. I'm happy with the bike but I would like it to be smoooooth. Like you I have no confidence that the sensitive partial throttle is going anywhere any time soon without owner intervention. The way people talked about it I had thought it was going to be a lot worse. But I have to admit it is there and I'll be much happier when its gone.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Good work, i have started typing a couple of times in threads but always end up deleting it as i find it hard to explain but what i think that would be the ultimate fix would not be a fuel or electronic fix but a mechanical one where the throttle requires more travel as in if say the throttle was turned 10 degrees then mechanical this was actually only 5 degrees and therefore no characteristics would be changed except the fact the throttle had to be turned further, i am not sure if that makes sense but i am guessing that is something like you are talking about ?
They will make a lot of sales if this works i am sure
Nick

·
Registered
211 Posts
Good work, i have started typing a couple of times in threads but always end up deleting it as i find it hard to explain but what i think that would be the ultimate fix would not be a fuel or electronic fix but a mechanical one where the throttle requires more travel as in if say the throttle was turned 10 degrees then mechanical this was actually only 5 degrees and therefore no characteristics would be changed except the fact the throttle had to be turned further, i am not sure if that makes sense but i am guessing that is something like you are talking about ?
They will make a lot of sales if this works i am sure
Nick
Yup that's what it does. So the first half of the throttle takes more twisting and then the second half takes less.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Cheers Mate, yep just had a look at the website and also watched a couple of the you tube videos and it looks very easy to install and it should help our situation so i have emailed him also and asked about postage to Australia as i see no option so we will see how we go.
It looks promising though.

Cheers

Nick

·
Registered
451 Posts
They make a great product, so dont take this the wrong way. Its just an alternative if someone does not want to pay for overseas shipping etc.

You can make these, or design these, yourself. Your just changing the size of what the throttle cable twists around.

G2 does a way cleaner, and way more professional job, but a few zip ties and superglue, pvs, or epoxy is about all it takes to do your own. Like this:

Quick Turn Throttle Mod with PVC - KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

File this under theres a ton of snow, its cold, and I cant ride department so I need something to do.

·
Registered
974 Posts
They make a great product, so dont take this the wrong way. Its just an alternative if someone does not want to pay for overseas shipping etc.

You can make these, or design these, yourself. Your just changing the size of what the throttle cable twists around.

G2 does a way cleaner, and way more professional job, but a few zip ties and superglue, pvs, or epoxy is about all it takes to do your own. Like this:

Quick Turn Throttle Mod with PVC - KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

File this under theres a ton of snow, its cold, and I cant ride department so I need something to do.
Thanks for the info, problem is they are gong the other on the way on the kawa's by giving the throttle more response and i think to go our way i would have to grind or sand back the original disc so the fear of stuffing it up or it doesn't work would have me ordering another original one so i am going to order one of these after Schmedlab posts back his positive results.;)
I got an email back today from G2 Ergonomics and they have just confimed today that the cam for the GSXS1000 is the same for the cam for the GSXR1000 2005 to 2014 model so its readily available now.

Cheers

Nick

·
Registered
451 Posts
Thats the magic of the diy way is you can add, or subtract material to get whatever feel you want. G2 does a good job and if they have what you need, perfect. I wish they would make one like we can get for our dirt bikes. Offroad, we can get billet aluminum tubes that are supported by bearings. Talk about smooth and exact.

I had to build mine into a ...1/6

I have limited movement in my wrist. Lets say the stock throttle takes 90 degrees of rotation to open. You'd call that a 1/4 throttle in that it takes 1/4 turn in that circle to open 100%

It might be more, or less, but we'll say it takes that much to activate. I made mine fully open in 1/6 that movement.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I have done a bit of research now and i am ordering the G2 unit as it cannot do any harm and only good and i don't think it will be a complete fix but it will help and if anyone else wants to try experimenting with a cheaper alternative according to G2 they are the same as the GSXR as i stated earlier and there are a few original ones on ebay that could be easily altered or very cheap nylon one also available on ebay that could be modified

Motion PRO Nylon Throttle Tube Sleeve Suzuki GSXR600 GSXR1000 GSX1300BK SFV650 | eBay

I take no responsibility though if it doesn't fit

Nick

·
Registered
3 Posts
I really think this is definitely an issue that the bike has.
I really think Suzuki should step in and make a recall for this or fix it either way.
I contacted Suzuki customer service but they were closed here's the phone number 714-572-1490
In the recording they said if you have a warranty issue with your bike it would have to be inspected by an authorized dealer before they could go any further. I'm going to call back on Monday and see where I can get this... I love the bike love the handling it's just that throttle��

·
Registered
974 Posts
My throttle tamer arrived today and after a 5 minute very easy install i took it for a 10 minute test ride around town and all i can say is wow what a difference it made, constant speed was absolutely no problem now and also bumps and speed humps did not have me grasping the throttle tightly at all....but there is a down side and this is not for everyone as although the bike has no less Horse power it feels like it does and i can see why Suzuki didn't bring the bike out like this as a test rider would not feel the power this bike had unless they worked the throttle.
This is not an issue for myself as i know the capability now the bike has and it didn't take much effort still to have the traction control light flashing its head off at me but if the snatchy throttle is annoyng or has you wondering if you brought the right bike or had you wondering if you can put up with it forever then i highly recommend one of these, i will not even bother about a PC5 now or a booster plug thingy as it is now perfect :D

Nick

Reactions: sparehead1

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi thankyou for this post. I am glad that at last i found a solution for the death trap suzuki put on this awesome bike. Anyway i also wanted to install this G2 unit but the question is what size are you guys going for and i couldnt find a video for installing this unit on a road bike, all i could find in youtube was for dirt bikes..any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
974 Posts
It's very easy and if you do watch the YouTube video it will be slightly different cause our bikes have the starter button and kill switch in the same housing.
Remove the bar end weight
Undo the two screws you see under the plastic cover surround
Totally loosen the top throttle cable adjuster so the cable becomes loose then pull apart the housing but not completely as there are electrical wires holding it together
remove the wires from the throttle cam and slide the tube off the bars
Reverse the procedure with the new tube and the only bit that got me is there is a small hole in the handle bars where the plastic cover has to align up with to go back on evenly but very easy when you know it's there
Swap the hand grips over then readjust the throttle cable and that's it
You will not be disappointed
I originally thought they sent the wrong unit as it does not look like a cam like the picture as it has been cut out for the cable only to sit in the slot, you will see what I mean
Enjoy and you will not be disappointed I can almost guarantee

Reactions: gsxsdave

·
Registered
974 Posts
And a big thanks to schmedlab also for starting this thread that led to a solution

·
Registered
176 Posts
@nicka can you check your PM, I tried to order one from G2 but their website shows no product for GSXS or GSXR1000 (05-15). Is it possible if I can have the part number or the G2 contact that you acquired the tamer? Thanks.

And a big thanks to schmedlab also for starting this thread that led to a solution

·
Registered
974 Posts
No problems vnuh

G2 Street Tamer Throttle Tube - G2 Ergonomics

Try this link and select Suzuki and GSX-S1000 (2016) should be an option and if not i can post the part No later when i am at home and not on my phone.

Cheers

Nick

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks a bunch. Either I have a bad luck or there's something wrong with their website, all of my selection returns a no available product at the moment.
I'll wait for the part number from you and go grab it from gruntmonkey or amazon then. Hopefully it's the same as GSX-R1000.

No problems vnuh

G2 Street Tamer Throttle Tube - G2 Ergonomics

Try this link and select Suzuki and GSX-S1000 (2016) should be an option and if not i can post the part No later when i am at home and not on my phone.

Cheers

Nick

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks a bunch. Either I have a bad luck or there's something wrong with their website, all of my selection returns a no available product at the moment.
I'll wait for the part number from you and go grab it from gruntmonkey or amazon then. Hopefully it's the same as GSX-R1000.
My contact at G2 Ergonomics was Gary Gibbs. He called me after receiving the OEM throttle tube that I sent him and he said it is the same tube as a R1000. The part number on my invoice from G2 is 40-4F-136-S. I suggest that you either call Gary at 815-535-3236 or email him at [email protected] and tell him that you need a Throttle Tamer for a GSX S1000. He will know exactly what you need.

I finally got around to installing mine last weekend and it is worth every penny that it cost. The install is easy and as Nicka said there is a slightly different feel to the throttle response but I got used to it very quickly. Good luck.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks. That's the same part number of GSX - R1000. I will order my today.
My contact at G2 Ergonomics was Gary Gibbs. He called me after receiving the OEM throttle tube that I sent him and he said it is the same tube as a R1000. The part number on my invoice from G2 is 40-4F-136-S. I suggest that you either call Gary at 815-535-3236 or email him at [email protected] and tell him that you need a Throttle Tamer for a GSX S1000. He will know exactly what you need.

I finally got around to installing mine last weekend and it is worth every penny that it cost. The install is easy and as Nicka said there is a slightly different feel to the throttle response but I got used to it very quickly. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts