GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
oh heaven forbid , that anyone dares to have an original thought. I am not american but love this quote by Mark Twain, '' when i find myself on the side of the majority , it is time to pause and reflect."
My original thought when I bought this bike was , wow, how good is this.
So I intend to keep it pretty much original. The first post has been edited down to this because some forum members found it a bit''on the nose''. So no offence intended to you guys, I think I may have forgotten my meds that night

·
Registered
539 Posts
Uh... I think maybe you could have opened on a less aggressive note. Unless there's a whole bunch of people on this site that I've not encountered who bash people who don't mod their bike.

I think a few minor mods are totally worth it; sliders to protect your investment, spools so you can work on it yourself. I went with a Speedohealer because I hate inaccurate information, and a fuel mapper to smooth out throttle. But really, those are both things Suzuki did to meet legal bullshit, and I like to think if they could have engineered a bike without those worries, I wouldn't feel the need to correct anything. And maybe a few other changes to make the bike match the rider; mirror mods for larger people, electrical stuff and luggage for tourers, grip pads on the tank, etc. For purely cosmetic mods, I think it's sorta a bonding thing. Every time I fix something on my Jeep, it's more than a financial investment, it's time and effort (and often blood) that I've put into it, it makes it "mine" in a way buying and driving it didn't. Considering how little repairs and maintenance are needed for a brand new bike, customizing it is a way to make the connection, I'm assuming, I don't really go much for cosmetic mods.

·
Registered
278 Posts
meh people have different tastes. One guy does a mod and thinks it looks great and somebody else might think that same mod looks ugly. Personally I like seeing people do mods because it makes their bikes look original. Who wants to look the same as everybody else? I haven't done any mods except the tail tidy because I'm cheap and I'd rather save my money.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep

[ Hi not being aggro just having fun, to each their own, and some mods are practical some just bling , always interested to see what some of the really creative riders come up with, just get a bit bored with the has anyone seen my handbag questions , and love to stir up a good ole chat on things fill oh soft icle for a change >:DQUOTE=USSENTERNCC1701E;152298]Uh... I think maybe you could have opened on a less aggressive note. Unless there's a whole bunch of people on this site that I've not encountered who bash people who don't mod their bike.

I think a few minor mods are totally worth it; sliders to protect your investment, spools so you can work on it yourself. I went with a Speedohealer because I hate inaccurate information, and a fuel mapper to smooth out throttle. But really, those are both things Suzuki did to meet legal bullshit, and I like to think if they could have engineered a bike without those worries, I wouldn't feel the need to correct anything. And maybe a few other changes to make the bike match the rider; mirror mods for larger people, electrical stuff and luggage for tourers, grip pads on the tank, etc. For purely cosmetic mods, I think it's sorta a bonding thing. Every time I fix something on my Jeep, it's more than a financial investment, it's time and effort (and often blood) that I've put into it, it makes it "mine" in a way buying and driving it didn't. Considering how little repairs and maintenance are needed for a brand new bike, customizing it is a way to make the connection, I'm assuming, I don't really go much for cosmetic mods.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Uh... I think maybe you could have opened on a less aggressive note. Unless there's a whole bunch of people on this site that I've not encountered who bash people who don't mod their bike.

I think a few minor mods are totally worth it; sliders to protect your investment, spools so you can work on it yourself. I went with a Speedohealer because I hate inaccurate information, and a fuel mapper to smooth out throttle. But really, those are both things Suzuki did to meet legal bullshit, and I like to think if they could have engineered a bike without those worries, I wouldn't feel the need to correct anything. And maybe a few other changes to make the bike match the rider; mirror mods for larger people, electrical stuff and luggage for tourers, grip pads on the tank, etc. For purely cosmetic mods, I think it's sorta a bonding thing. Every time I fix something on my Jeep, it's more than a financial investment, it's time and effort (and often blood) that I've put into it, it makes it "mine" in a way buying and driving it didn't. Considering how little repairs and maintenance are needed for a brand new bike, customizing it is a way to make the connection, I'm assuming, I don't really go much for cosmetic mods.
Ps I'm with you

·
Registered
448 Posts
4tune, your assumption is people who mod do it only for performance reasons. None of us are any different. We're all trying to feel better. Some do that with more money in the bank. Some use drugs, or drink alcohol. Gambling, Sex. Motorcycles.

Mark Twain's problem is he was not a mechanic. You'll often times fine many of us who are mechanics, service techs, carpenters, etc get a ton of self worth, and entertainment, from what we fix or what we create. Making it "better" is defined by the owner. "Finished" just means time to sell this one and move to the next. For us, this is joy.

Explaining how someone else should find joy, contentment, and happiness? I find that what others do, unless it costs me time, money or effort, is pretty much none of my business.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4tune, your assumption is people who mod do it only for performance reasons. None of us are any different. We're all trying to feel better. Some do that with more money in the bank. Some use drugs, or drink alcohol. Gambling, Sex. Motorcycles.

Mark Twain's problem is he was not a mechanic. You'll often times fine many of us who are mechanics, service techs, carpenters, etc get a ton of self worth, and entertainment, from what we fix or what we create. Making it "better" is defined by the owner. "Finished" just means time to sell this one and move to the next. For us, this is joy.

Explaining how someone else should find joy, contentment, and happiness? I find that what others do, unless it costs me time, money or effort, is pretty much none of my business.
yep i am with you , as i said i love the creative ways people come up with solving real problems or putting their own hand to an improvement. It's just that the kids are asleep the wife's at work and i felt like being a **** stirrer to see if any one was awake. Truly like your idea of finished, for some artists the hardest decision is when to know it's done... i work with houses and make money changing back all the things the previous owners did that the new one doesn't like, however there are times when i see beautiful work and will say '' no don't change a thing''Am working on the theory that anyone with a GSXS 1000 can't be all bad

·
Registered
5 Posts
meh people have different tastes. One guy does a mod and thinks it looks great and somebody else might think that same mod looks ugly. Personally I like seeing people do mods because it makes their bikes look original. Who wants to look the same as everybody else? I haven't done any mods except the tail tidy because I'm cheap and I'd rather save my money.
It is like women in a party, God forbid if they have the same exact dress... :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't mind mod's, as long as they tasteful, I do mod my bikes to fit my mechanical engineering mind and comfort, as for the rest... it's all in the eye of the beholder, as such, it's not my business of what people think of my bikes, same as what they think of me ;-)

Cheers mates

·
Registered
647 Posts
To be frank I don't care what other people do to their bikes, I have taken inspiration from other members and I have seen some things I was considering and decided not to go that route when I saw the end result. At no time on this forum have I slated anyone for any mod. I really think it is no ones business to have a go at people for modding bikes how they see fit with little cash or shed loads of cash.
I wanted a black/carbon bike with gold wheels Suzuki don't sell one so I am going to do it. A member here has resprayed his bike white and it looks gorgeous in my opinion. Your opening line was very harsh and judgemental and the whole post smacks of jealousy. You may not be jealous and you may hate modded bikes but to write a post deriding most members on here is not really on.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To be frank I don't care what other people do to their bikes, I have taken inspiration from other members and I have seen some things I was considering and decided not to go that route when I saw the end result. At no time on this forum have I slated anyone for any mod. I really think it is no ones business to have a go at people for modding bikes how they see fit with little cash or shed loads of cash.
I wanted a black/carbon bike with gold wheels Suzuki don't sell one so I am going to do it. A member here has resprayed his bike white and it looks gorgeous in my opinion. Your opening line was very harsh and judgemental and the whole post smacks of jealousy. You may not be jealous and you may hate modded bikes but to write a post deriding most members on here is not really on.
consider my knuckles smacked, have seen some great stuff on this forum , learnt heaps of useful stuff and the post if read closely and subsequent comments you will see that rather than deriding the forum was having a laugh at the Facebook page, it was all meant rather tongue in cheek to create a bit of dialogue. There is a group here in Perth , Perth Cafe Racers , who I ride with from time to time , and am always impressed with the ingenuity displayed in there mods , even if ,as everyone keeps reminding me, it may not be to your taste. Am always surprised how diverse the forum members are, so i will say again , anyone who owns a GSXS 1000 can't be all bad

·
Registered
106 Posts

......quite true. Will add, besides the time, money piece, that if it doesn't harm anyone else, what business is it of mine. May not be my cup of tea but individuality keeps the world interesting. For instance, I have no interest in owning or riding a chopper. I generally don't 'get them.' However, I can appreciate the craft that goes into the machining, paint, metalwork, etc.

·
Registered
49 Posts
For me its a "big boy's toy". At my age it's fast enough. Handles well enough, not doing any track days. My mods are for me, done by me, fender eliminator, frame sliders, Yosh exhaust. Power commander and quick shifter when the wallet allows. This bike is my daily driver, unless it is raining in the morning. The abrupt throttle at low RPMs has improved from new. Can't quite figure that out but like it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I don't mind mod's, as long as they tasteful, I do mod my bikes to fit my mechanical engineering mind and comfort, as for the rest... it's all in the eye of the beholder, as such, it's not my business of what people think of my bikes, same as what they think of me ;-)

Cheers mates
I even learned (ok, tried to learn) how the people who paint their bikes operate. For me, nothing looks better than a clean , oem paint job.

I think I need to say again, "for me"

I have a friend who ride over on his "custom painted" V max. Yes, the paint was..uh......."unique" but his tires were showing cords. It was interesting because it never bothered him..zero....but that paint was what did it for him.

The punchline was his color. Stock bike was black in color.

His "new" color, close to 1500.00 dollars later....

Metallic Black. I really never noticed until he pointed it out. I would have loved to study his motivation because before and after was so similar.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have chosen to do a few mods on my bike. Some could be classed as cosmetic.

I tend to buy a bike i really want and then ride it until it is too expensive to maintain. When i got this bike i stood back and really looked at it. I decided i did not like the huge tail and the massive indicators on the front that looked like small wings and in my opinion ruined the lines of the bike completely.

I fitted a tail tidy then led indicators that were smaller and in my opinion looked less like wings on the side. From a cosmetic point of view that's all i wanted to do as that was the bits i personally did not like and as i had the money and know how i "fixed it" to my liking. However i will point out that i kept the original parts and it would not take much to return her to standard should i or any new owner require.

I have also chosen to do a few more modifications based on technical reasons and preventative reasons.

I changed my lights as i found them not bright enough for my usage.
I added tank protectors to preserve the paint "because many people have commented on bad paint quality"
I changed the clear screen for a dark tinted one primarily as it helps to see the clocks better in direct sun. A side effect i also like is it fits better with the overall look of the bike and i cant see the back of the clocks now
I changed the mirrors for 2 reasons 1 i can see better with the new ones and 2 they have integrated indicators (i live in an area with roundabouts every other min and i noticed by having the indicators higher up on the mirrors more cars noticed this is something i do on all my bikes now)

I am still on the fence with the PC5 / autotune I have now done almost 5000 km and still cant decided if the snatchly throtel is bad enough to address. one day i think yep got to fix this but then the next it seems like it isn't a problem at all. I am waiting to see if there is a recall on the ECU "information from a fellow norwegian on this forum suggests they could try and fix it for us over here)

Last of all are the changes i have made "Tasteful"

i haven't come across anyone who has looked at my bike and said err yuck why did you do that but would they say that to my face ? Prob not
The bike isn't outrageously modified and does look close to stock
i have has an offer to pay me to do the same mods to someone else's gsx-s 1000f (not sure what i think of this however it cant look that bad if others want to copy)

final point

do i waste even 10 seconds wondering what others think of my bike ?

No i am to busy enjoying it !!

·
Registered
647 Posts
consider my knuckles smacked, have seen some great stuff on this forum , learnt heaps of useful stuff and the post if read closely and subsequent comments you will see that rather than deriding the forum was having a laugh at the Facebook page, it was all meant rather tongue in cheek to create a bit of dialogue. There is a group here in Perth , Perth Cafe Racers , who I ride with from time to time , and am always impressed with the ingenuity displayed in there mods , even if ,as everyone keeps reminding me, it may not be to your taste. Am always surprised how diverse the forum members are, so i will say again , anyone who owns a GSXS 1000 can't be all bad
I see your point and there are some colour schemes that I think is a bit too lairy for my taste and I am a casual user of 2 GSX facebook pages and I literally only use FB for that purpose and your right it is a bit diverse at times but I find it's better not to comment on some bikes.
Don't forget the age group this bike was aimed at... most of us have been there and seen it with some bike mods/colour schemes. This forum is only one step away from retirement home status with regards to average age ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts