GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, was wondering if you can help me decide if I need to replace the OEM tires.
I have about 2200 miles on them and have about 500 miles to go before a track day. Looking at the mileage some are getting with the OEM tires, do you guys think I should replace the tires before the track day? The rear has a slight flat spot, nothing bad though and the treads have not hit the wear markers yet. The front is as usual in better shape that the rear with no flat spots on it.
I know that everybody recommends replacing both tires at the same time, so I might do the same. Right now looking at Pirelli Rosso II or III as replacement. Not sure If I will change the profile though - anybody see any clearance issue with the 55 rear profile and the tire hugger plastic?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hey Guys, was wondering if you can help me decide if I need to replace the OEM tires.
I have about 2200 miles on them and have about 500 miles to go before a track day. Looking at the mileage some are getting with the OEM tires, do you guys think I should replace the tires before the track day? The rear has a slight flat spot, nothing bad though and the treads have not hit the wear markers yet. The front is as usual in better shape that the rear with no flat spots on it.
I know that everybody recommends replacing both tires at the same time, so I might do the same. Right now looking at Pirelli Rosso II or III as replacement. Not sure If I will change the profile though - anybody see any clearance issue with the 55 rear profile and the tire hugger plastic?
putting a 55 on mine made a huge difference, when i sat on it with the new 55 it felt like a different bike much better ,i thought the oem tires were crap but just my opinion :D went for sport smart first and now i have s21

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yes, replace them if you can afford to. You do not want to go to the track with poor tires, brakes, etc.

There are categories of tires but for the sake of discussion these are the main ones. Track/race only, Track/Road, Sport, and Sport Touring. These are not hard and fast categories, some blend the lines between categories quite well.

Track/race only are basically slicks and a few other tires that you probably have never heard of.

Track/Road would be the best for track days and street riding. But they wear out fast, but stick well. If you run a fast pace, they get greasy after 6-8 laps. I use these on my GSXS. I use the Bridgestone RS10, 190/55. The Pirelli Super Corsa V2, Metzler Race Tec, Michelin Power RS, Dunlop Q3 are all example of a road/track class of tire.

A sport tire will be more designed for the road, but you can get away with it at a track day if you are not that fast of a rider. Examples of these are Pirelli Rosso II-III, Michelin Pilot Power III, Bridgestone 21 Evo, Metzler Sport Tec, etc.

A sport Touring should not be used on the track. People do, but it is not designed for that environment. Examples include Pirelli Angel GT, Dunlop Sport Max, Michelin Pilot Road, and a whole bunch of others. I have never used a sport touring tire because I value grip over all else in a tire. Which is why i have the RS10's on the GSXS (the rs10 is arguable the stickiest tire in the track/road class of tires).

·
Registered
974 Posts
Be careful as the tyre canvas shows way before the wear marks that has caught a few people out including myself and it appears very quickly.
I always read everyone saying how much difference the 55 is tipping in comparison, if you put on a new 50 you notice the same effect as a 55 cause it's new without the flat spot, my new 50 made a massive difference also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have also just been through choosing tyres to replace the OEM Dunlops.

After much research I narrowed it down to Pilot Road 4's or Pilot Power 3's. Talking to my local Suzuki shop, I decided to go with the Pilot Power 3's staying with OEM size rear 190/50 17.

I am very pleased with the way the bike handles with these tyres.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
tires must look new at 2200......5500 miles on mine and still going strong..in not a track guy but it sounds like they will do there job for the one track day

·
Registered
444 Posts
*if you still have plenty of tire life use them for the track, unless your ability demands better tires. I just read 2200 miles and bald spot, sorry.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies guys. The confusion still remains though, as I dont want the tires to cause the tech inspection to fail - even though I will be entering the novice class. There is definitely a slight flat spot in the center, and I feel it might get exaggerated by Aug 21st (will be riding the Mid-Ohio track) due to my commuting. Now, it might get through if I dont ride at all till then. But that is not why I bought the bike. I will order in new tires - Bridgestone S21s and keep the option of swapping them the weekend before the track day. Wanted to go with the Pirelli Rosso's , but the great reviews and first hand experience with Bridgestone sport tires, along with the nice rebate that is going on changed my mind.

Also, since there are no complains yet with the 55 profile, I think I will go with it.

·
Registered
538 Posts
My rear has a big flat spot and overall only 40-50% tread remaining at 860miles, how anyone can get 1000's out of these tyres is beyond me. I'd say they have the wrong bike, you can't be using more than 20% of the power.

Put it like this are you willing to risk a fall for £200? it would cost a dam sight more to fix than a set of rubber.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
974 Posts

This is what I was talking about, 5500km I think it was, left home and it looked fine? 25km later in this showed up, and it wasn't at the wear marks

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
My rear has a big flat spot and overall only 40-50% tread remaining at 860miles, how anyone can get 1000's out of these tyres is beyond me. I'd say they have the wrong bike, you can't be using more than 20% of the power.

Put it like this are you willing to risk a fall for £200? it would cost a dam sight more to fix than a set of rubber.

i ride highway not to commute ....ride highways to let it rip and cruse between 80 an 140,,,up and down up an down every ride...wot often during rides....so if thats 20 percent of the power im loving it.....so because you wear out tires its the right bike for you :laugh:...please tell me how you ride ..whats your riding style...how do real men ride an dress

·
Registered
538 Posts
i ride highway not to commute ....ride highways to let it rip and cruse between 80 an 140,,,up and down up an down every ride...wot often during rides....so if thats 20 percent of the power im loving it.....so because you wear out tires its the right bike for you ...please tell me how you ride ..whats your riding style...how do real men ride an dress
These tyres are the softest ive ever seen, i really dont need to hear how you ride, neither do i care . There must be a difference otherwise you wouldn't be getting five times more miles..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wow you guys must be riding your machines really hard. :) I never had to deal with tires for anything less than 5-6K miles irrespective of how I rode. Of course no track days though.

·
Registered
444 Posts
@Doddy666; The oem tires are the softest tires you have ever ridden on?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts