GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got my new tire changer installed. It is the TiRx Moto wall mounted unit. It is much less expensive to purchase than a NoMar tire changer, but takes up no floor space. It folds flat against the wall when not in use. It also allows for balancing right on the unit. I have to pay a premium price to have tires mounted and balanced in my area, I have a friend who is a mechanic at a car dealer who can mount them for me cheaply when he has time, but it’s over 50 miles to drive to get it done. I have 7 motorcycles that I ride all the time. This will save me money in the long run, and I can do it myself- Which is what I love about cars and motorcycles. Other than tuning and engine machining, I can do all my own work now. Anyway, here are some pictures showing it extended, then folded. The board it is mounted to is 2 feet squared. you can check out this video to see how it works https://tirxmoto.com/

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
I was looking at one of these set up but it just seems a bit to pricey for what it is.
Anyway I just use tyre levers and rim savers never scratched a rim yet.
But yes it is a good idea..

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never done it myself that way, I’ve seen wheels get bent from that method. Someone skilled at it, I’m sure, can do it without issue. I don’t trust myself, I’m the get a bigger hammer or pry bar guy! This is half the price of a no mar unit, which was the other option I considered.

I was looking at one of these set up but it just seems a bit to pricey for what it is.
Anyway I just use tyre levers and rim savers never scratched a rim yet.
But yes it is a good idea..

·
Registered
446 Posts
Never done it myself that way, I’ve seen wheels get bent from that method. Someone skilled at it, I’m sure, can do it without issue. I don’t trust myself, I’m the get a bigger hammer or pry bar guy! This is half the price of a no mar unit, which was the other option I considered.
LOL! Just have to make sure you lube it up good! :D
My problem is that I’m in Australia so it ends up being expensive DOH!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Well it get worse just for the **** of it I asked about freight to Australia The cost for shipping is US $154.20 via the US Postal system, or $506.00 via UPS. LOL
Looks like I’m sticking with tyre levers and lube yeah baby!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm waiting on that being shipped to me now(it's currently in the right province!!). Bit of a learning experience for them shipping to Canada, but it only cost me 60usd, I think he said that he was quoted $95. And then a total of 50Cad in taxes, and broker fee. I think this is a first for me being surprised at how inexpensive a shipping quote was.

Overall I'm very happy with the company, and I've not even taken delivery of it! So I'm looking forward to being able to put it to use too.

·
Registered
135 Posts
First tire changed, Michelin Power RS on my RC51 in 190/55 17. Very Easy, and absolutely no damage!! This is a fantastic tool!!!! Soooo happy with my purchase!

I like the tire changer. I guess you are talking about our "friendly neighborhood dealership" concerning the high price for tires and tire changes. I think they charge an hour labor which is around $69 if I remember correctly (for each tire). So around $140 to have front and rear changed. That is quite a lot when you add that to the price of the tires. Where are you purchasing your tires? I might PM you to see if you are interested in helping me do mine for a small fee ;). Also, post a pic of the RC51. We still need to get together and ride. Me and my friend from Eufaula rode this past Saturday. Abbeville down hwy 27 to Ozark, then back roads to Dothan for lunch. We were done before it was too hot.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I really hate to promote No-Mar but you probably could have purchased one of the Cycle Hill units for a little bit more than that cost and it would have come with ALL the tools required to complete the job. Comes with its own bar, spray lube and past. The only thing lacking would be a way to balance which would be another $100 probably. Something like this Balancer

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well it get worse just for the **** of it I asked about freight to Australia The cost for shipping is US $154.20 via the US Postal system, or $506.00 via UPS. LOL
Looks like I’m sticking with tyre levers and lube yeah baby!
Just for giggles I looked to see whether No-Mar had stock in their warehouse in Australia, They had their older style Cycle Hills listed @$419 plus shipping, but show no inventory.

Considering I know that even though the site says 2-5 business days it would ship if you ordered that would be a lie. When I worked for them they had some poor guy in Australia waiting for almost 10 months to get his changer. They had no stock in there warehouse there. They ship their products via the slow boat and did not have the money to put together enough product to get a container together. Needless to say if I would have been that guy I would have NEVER accepted that kind of service. They had the changers state side but were not willing to eat the shipping cost themselves to make good on the sale. We finally got enough changers together to send a couple of pallets but not near what needed to be shipped.

Use to be a much better company, changers used to be solid and now they are basically bolt together. They used to offer a limited lifetime warranty on the non marring parts and all you had to do was pay for shipping, powder coat quality used to be much better as well. When I left they were trying a new coater, but I would expect a less than perfect changer showing up since they also went cheap on the packaging of the changers. They used to come packed nice in foam and now they just box them and stuff some shredded cardboard in there and call it a day.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really hate to promote No-Mar but you probably could have purchased one of the Cycle Hill units for a little bit more than that cost and it would have come with ALL the tools required to complete the job. Comes with its own bar, spray lube and past. The only thing lacking would be a way to balance which would be another $100 probably. Something like this Balancer
I’m at $500 with this. A tire iron, which I had, is under $10 at Harbor Freight. It comes with everything else, except mounting lube. And it takes up zero floor space, and folds to about 3” of mounting depth. That is the reason I chose this. It’s plenty heavy duty, and super easy to use. I’m happy with all that. I was originally looking at No Mar, but I have no place I’m willing to give up that much floor space, And no where large enough to store it when not in use. This is always there ready to go. I have extension cords hanging above it. I pull them down, throw them on the floor, and I’m in business! And it is the balancer too!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I like the tire changer. I guess you are talking about our "friendly neighborhood dealership" concerning the high price for tires and tire changes. I think they charge an hour labor which is around $69 if I remember correctly (for each tire). So around $140 to have front and rear changed. That is quite a lot when you add that to the price of the tires. Where are you purchasing your tires? I might PM you to see if you are interested in helping me do mine for a small fee ;). Also, post a pic of the RC51. We still need to get together and ride. Me and my friend from Eufaula rode this past Saturday. Abbeville down hwy 27 to Ozark, then back roads to Dothan for lunch. We were done before it was too hot.
You can come do it for no fee! Any of the local places charge pretty high. I do have a friend who can do it for less, but I have to drive a bit to get it done. Just a PIA more than anything. I prolly even have a beer in the fridge if you are inclined! I buy online, wherever is good on price. It has lately ended up being Sportbike Track Gear. Plus, you get bonus cash back! They are Lways competitively priced on stuff. Plus, I can get military discount too! I will take more advantage of that now that I know it. I’m picking up another bike this week, out of storage space now��. Also, that friendly dealership in your town will never get another penny from me. They are awful, and dishonest. Beasley, on the other hand, sells OEM stuff for internet pricing. Their problem is, they do bulk orders from Suzuki, so you may end up waiting weeks for stuff. With Honda parts, 2-3 days. Mike their mechanic , is an old friend. Still, they are $$$ on tire changes, not his choice. They are competitive with their pricing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
You can come do it for no fee! Any of the local places charge pretty high. I do have a friend who can do it for less, but I have to drive a bit to get it done. Just a PIA more than anything. I prolly even have a beer in the fridge if you are inclined! I buy online, wherever is good on price. It has lately ended up being Sportbike Track Gear. Plus, you get bonus cash back! They are Lways competitively priced on stuff. Plus, I can get military discount too! I will take more advantage of that now that I know it. I’m picking up another bike this week, out of storage space now��. Also, that friendly dealership in your town will never get another penny from me. They are awful, and dishonest. Beasley, on the other hand, sells OEM stuff for internet pricing. Their problem is, they do bulk orders from Suzuki, so you may end up waiting weeks for stuff. With Honda parts, 2-3 days. Mike their mechanic , is an old friend. Still, they are $$$ on tire changes, not his choice. They are competitive with their pricing.
I might take you up on that the next time I need tires. Sportbike Track Gear usually shows good prices but I didn't know they did military discount. Revzilla does 5% military. How much is STG's military discount?

Yeah I like to give Beasleys my business if at all possible. They are competitive on parts and accessories but their prices for tire changes are not cheap. But I only have one bike not a half dozen like you do so it is not as costly when only dealing with one bike. What other bike are you picking up????

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn’t have paid that much. I’d think you’d have a good alternative in Australia though
That's a sad reflection on Motorcycle sales in Australia. Our Market share of the Worldwide pie is a crumb.
There are only a few hundred of most machines sold here every year, so we don't have the opportunity of scale to support importing of accessory lines.
Aftermarket windscreens are rarely available, and a lot of US places simply will not ship to Australia or as Jeff said, the added cost of transport is prohibitively expensive (add the EU in that too).
Our 'back alley' manufacturing businesses that thrived post WW2 died off sometime after 1990 when our Free Market inspired Gov decided that import tariffs were too high on everything made here, so were are 0 % on most stuff imported.
Now, the only competition is between the the few remaining Importer's (mostly clothing lines) and EBAY junk ex China.

Rob.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I might take you up on that the next time I need tires. Sportbike Track Gear usually shows good prices but I didn't know they did military discount. Revzilla does 5% military. How much is STG's military discount?

Yeah I like to give Beasleys my business if at all possible. They are competitive on parts and accessories but their prices for tire changes are not cheap. But I only have one bike not a half dozen like you do so it is not as costly when only dealing with one bike. What other bike are you picking up????
A TL1000S. It has Traxxion Dynamics cartridges, Bitubo shock, full D&D exhaust, TL1000R engine swap, cool old bike. Bike and engine both have less than 7500 miles. I’m a sucker for these v twin sport bikes.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Very cool. Post a picture after you pick it up. I had an SV650 in 2000 and remember the TL1000. It was a hot rod. You have a good choice of bikes to take to Barber this Fall for a track day if you so decide. I would like to do Oct and Nov. Consider going this Fall if possible.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very cool. Post a picture after you pick it up. I had an SV650 in 2000 and remember the TL1000. It was a hot rod. You have a good choice of bikes to take to Barber this Fall for a track day if you so decide. I would like to do Oct and Nov. Consider going this Fall if possible.
I’ll be doing the vintage festival as a spectator in October, just need to get leathers and boots, and a snell or European spec helmet for track duty. Not gonna use the GT Air with its flip down dark internal visor. Someone told me they don’t approve those helmets for track use. Those helmets didn’t exist last time I was on track!🙃 I have an sv 650 that is modified for the purpose of track use. It’ll have Power RS tires on it within the next month. It’ll be ready to go.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts