GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To current and former gsxs 1000 owners. Is it fair to compare the gsxs1000 to the super naked class? Particularly the SuperDuke 1290?

·
Registered
974 Posts
The first thing that comes to mind is the super duke sells for about $7000 more so it's hard to compare , I would like to test ride one and I would probably like one but I just cannot justify that much extra to pay to be able to wheelies in first second third and even fourth gear :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
In ways, you have to, but on some level it will never be ok to compare a 17,000 machine to one priced closer to 10k.

With that being said, If you gave me a gsxs and 7000 worth of options, it would be easy to build soemthign that runs away from the KTM and does not need an extended warranty with towing service.

·
Registered
415 Posts
It's in the realm of Speed Triples, FZ1s, Z1000s. A new Tuono would eat it up with comparable riders on board. And so? It's still a great fun bike that can be civil or wild depending on your mood. And so inviting to modify!

·
Registered
647 Posts
I don't even consider the GSX-S as a super naked, I like the title that Suzuki themselves have called it, Street Sport.

·
Registered
451 Posts
If you were talking about offroad bikes, new for new, theres no way you would ever compare one to another when one was 40% less money.

If you were on the cheap one, you'd never see your buddies on the expensive one.

The Suzuki compared to BMW. Both have similar power, and a good frame. BMW is 3000 more, minimum. Great, but if its because the bmw has better suspension, why do you see threads on the bmw forum asking if the s1000rr shock and fork will fit?

So, compared to what? I like the way suzuki did it. Those that are ok with the stock suspension get to keep 3 grand in their wallet, those who dont can fix it.

Kawasaki could have done the same, but the left over money was spent styling the z 1000. Ray Charles says they did a good job. Wait, I think he might be dead. We'll go with Stevie Wonder.

·
Registered
333 Posts
in austria KTM mean
Kein Tausend Meter , let you translate

·
Registered
451 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Those forums say it all in terms of reliability and maintenance. It is the primary reason I traded my Ducatu Diavel for the GSXS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
it would be easy to build soemthign that runs away from the KTM and does not need an extended warranty with towing service.
I have never driven a KTM road bike, but owned a KTM 450 xcf and I can tell you out of all the dirt bikes I have owned and ridden, nothing came close to the KTM.

·
Registered
451 Posts
They make the only up to date dirt bike there is. Electric start. I believe their streetbikes are 95% good, too, but, that last 5% is a deal breaker. I wonder how I would feel if I had a 1190 that ate dirt?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a ktm 1290 and it had to many problems ,even engine went noise on it due to faulty ktm oil filter , I only had 1000 miles on mine when I got rid quick , ill never own a ktm again , the 1290 was poorly made , in had the seat eating in to the tank , rear shock spring rubbing on rear hugger and rubbing on gas part , brakes binding like mad ,oil leaks ,and the worst thing was rear hub bearing loose from the showroom what was within spec lol , , all had parts rusting and I never used it in the rain at all , , I would have my gsxs 1000 any day to the 1290 , the ktm 1290 was the first new bike I've ever had and was hoping to keep for years but what a nightmare I had ,I now own this gsxs and a mv Augusta dragster 800rr and both good fun

·
Registered
85 Posts
super naked or not, all i can say is i test rode the tuono factory, 1290 super duke, s1000r, and the gsx-s1000 and i chose the 'zuki. i'll be riding it at the track and on weekend blasts with my buddies, so it will be ridden hard. i am going to try and leave it as close to stock as possible, save for a solution to the fueling and some cosmetic changes. it will do just fine i have no doubt.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had a ktm 1290 and it had to many problems ,even engine went noise on it due to faulty ktm oil filter , I only had 1000 miles on mine when I got rid quick , ill never own a ktm again , the 1290 was poorly made , in had the seat eating in to the tank , rear shock spring rubbing on rear hugger and rubbing on gas part , brakes binding like mad ,oil leaks ,and the worst thing was rear hub bearing loose from the showroom what was within spec lol , , all had parts rusting and I never used it in the rain at all , , I would have my gsxs 1000 any day to the 1290 , the ktm 1290 was the first new bike I've ever had and was hoping to keep for years but what a nightmare I had ,I now own this gsxs and a mv Augusta dragster 800rr and both good fun

I looked at the 1290. Very interesting. Glad I walked away after reading your review.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts