GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Suzuk owners, there is a great variety of owners here, so am hoping you can all help. wanted a Gsx for some time but was put off by the poor fueling (the report of) and by dealers who knew very little, and seemed to care very little. So here is issue, have owned many bikes, and currently own a zx14, really looking seriously at a Gsx, but am concerned I may be disappointed by fueling issue. Has anyone else owned a large capacity bike (zx14..ish) and moved to the Suzuk? Had zx10, then fz 09, currently have Z900.. great bikes but kind of leave you lacking, Zx14 has tremendous power but is also a big bike. I am in my 50's and am not looking for a lay over race bike, but still enjoy the power and the look. Anyways, look forward to some replies.

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The fueling issue varies bike to bike. Mine is fine. I love it, and the ergo's are one of the bikes real strengths, but it does everything well.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
fueling issues dont seem to bother me..dont feel snatch anymore you learn to ride keeping pressure on the throttle open...never getting to the point where your closing throttle fully....problem gone........others issues you ride around without realize your doing it ...bike is smooth ride all day long....enough power to keep you honest,,,,,soften the suspension bike rides great and highway speeds to top end very stable.....so i say what problems ,,all thats talked about on forum with fueling all went away after a few thousands miles.....go buy the beast youll love it.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
one more question, Heat is an issue for my 14, not on open road, but around town fan is always going. is that an issue for the "S" or the "F" models?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have a hayabusa and the GSX, love them both. If it has a fueling issue, only some do, $200 flash and it's solved. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. I'm 50 years old and the upright position is so much better.

·
Registered
307 Posts
i had a big zzr before getting my gsxs-f, loved the zzr but as a all rounder my f is better, speed wise up to about 110 mph the zook is just about as fast but then the zzr walks away, handling in my opinion is better on the zook,as for heat my zook doesn't heat up much , no more or less then the zzr,comfort wise the zook wins hands down ,after a big spin on the zzr i was always glad to put her away for a bit but on the zook just want to keep spinning lol.i nearly bought a new zzr but bought the gsxsf instead and glad i did. And the zook feels so much lighter chuck it about so much easier. my throttle is a bit twitchy but nothing to put me off, the zzr was more smother on the throttle but i still rather the zook.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I own a ZX-10R and FZ-09. Sold the Fz-09 and bought the GSXS without a test ride. I took all slack out of the throttle cable under the tank and have no complaints about snatchiness. Super comfortable bike, and screams with power once broken in, or can cruise all day. It is not a radical hooligan bike, it is a street bike with an in-line 4 cylinder GSXR motor, and for the price can’t be beat.

If your looking for a well mannered comfortable 1000cc street bike you can spend all day on, I highly recommend this bike.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Heat? The only time heat is a problem is when I commute on the GSX-S and it doesn't do a bit of blocking of the road heat in the triple digit temperatures here. Heat from the bike? I've been riding mine since January so the full range of temperatures and no issues with heat from the bike.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I've been riding in 90+F heat here and my commute on the way home has me stopped at lights where temps are reaching 110F. The fan usually kicks in when I stop, but I never even notice it when I'm moving (maybe I just can't here it). It doesn't seem to run any hotter than any other bike I've owned and probably cooler than most.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think once you ride one you'll be amazed at how nimble the bike feels for a 1000. That and the abundant power it has for a street class bike makes it a joy to ride and inspires confidence. It sort of has two personalities. I have zero regrets. Yea .fueling is a bit lean down low and the throttle is touchy compared to some other bikes but it is easily adjusted to with a lighter touch , particularly if one has previous experience flicking around sport bikes. I also appreciate the basic setup of not having engine power modes on a bike that makes around 140 hp. at the wheel. Like some others, I never test drove one before making my decision to buy which was based primarily on reviews and videos.

·
Registered
65 Posts
As others said, the throttle response can be easily altered. I used these words to show you that the Suzuki has a quite direct, responsive throttle by default, as you would expect of a 1000cc sportbike engine. If you want to make it more or less direct, you can change it. For me, removing most of the slack from the throttle cable and softening the suspension somewhat transformed the bike into a smooth, predictable beast. Note that many owners reported the bike getting smoother and smoother by each thousand miles. I can't comment on this for I'm only at 600 miles on my 2018 model, but it is already wonderful.

I test rode the Z900 and its throttle response wasn't that much smoother that the Suzuki once properly set up. The Suzuki feels like a more "mature" bike in every aspect. The more upright riding position, the noticeably more power, more direct feel and the growl it makes... shoot, I have to go back riding again.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I'm in my 50's as well, and love this bike. I have the F and have done 3 and 4 day trips with no problem. Very comfortable.

Other than the throttle, which is 99% fixed, I have been more happy with the bike in stock form than any other I've owned.

Riding position is great. Seat is not too bad. Stock exhaust is awesome. Sure, i will probably upgrade some things down the road, but it's not a big priority at this point.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
fueling issues dont seem to bother me..dont feel snatch anymore you learn to ride keeping pressure on the throttle open...never getting to the point where your closing throttle fully....problem gone........(snipped ).
As Stocky hinted in his above post, it is how you should ride this bike in the concept in which Suzuki designed it. A rider of GSXR1000 experience who wanted a more upright and softer engined bike.
The racer mode is to accelerate, brake, accelerate. No angels gear idling along; playing handsies with the throttle grip on/off around 3500 RPM. It's All or Nothing.

Real world is different of course as we may own Suzuki's Racetrack, but the public road is commuting to and from work etc etc.
It has been said the latest 2018 year version is a bit better than the 2014 often quoted in the early magazine tests, but the jerky throttle is true for some and absent for others, and a 'ride around' for the majority. there have been some Members who bought a 2018 who were disappointed that the snatchy throttle was still there, but if you rode those bikes, you may say 'no snatchy throttle'.
It's far better than some Ducati 1078 superbikes that I rode 10 years ago, they were hopelessly fueled under 4000 RPM, coughing and spluttering in traffic, for me unrideable in slow traffic.

Perhaps you can jag a demo ride on the just released 2018 Honda CB1000R. It may give you another choice or just confuse the choices !
As freshly minted EURO 4 bike with a reworked motor, (and a higher price point), it should have gained more time in R & D to run more smoothly than GSXS1000, MT09, or the Kawa Z1000 as they debuted around the same time in 2014.
I haven't sought out a demo, but have sat my a*rse on the seat of one and decided from that it would not suit me on ergonomics.
It seemed very stubby in length and a vertical drop to the bars, and the clocks hidden under my chin, high pegs. But I riding a V Strom 1000 presently, so that could be colouring my view.
Sitting on the GSXS1000 Naked felt more comfortable and natural fit. It's been 9 months since my GSXS got traded, but it is an outstanding bike for a reasonable price.

Rob.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ZX14 vs GSXS1000?

Kind of apples and oranges.
I have owned a 99 and a 2008 Busa, which is a direct comparison to the zx14.
Really depends on what you want to make of the bike and what kind of riding you do.
You CAN raise the clip ons slightly with the 14 I believe to make it a bit more comfy..At least you can with the busa i think.
I think if you do more highway driving the big bikes might be more comfy/capable, twisty roads the 1k will be a better choice.
For me it came down to economics....I picked up a new 2016 a month ago for 7300 bucks plus tax so it was a no brainer.
That said its a great bike. Fast, light, fairly comfy.
Fueling issues? Not sure about that, I think its more driveline lash, which is pretty pronounced while rolling along, closing the throttle all the way then back on the gas. If I was on the track it would really bother me, or leaned over in a turn but Im not a track junkie and why would I go into a turn with the throttle closed anyway?
So doesn't bother me.
Nothing will have the torque the zx14 does but they offset that by adding 100 pounds or so to the bike. Most of the differences in performance will be a straight line and after the bike is already moving.
Not sure I would call the 1k a hooligan bike either as they put a lot of weight over the front tire but you can still loop it if you're an idiot.
Maybe you are sick of the 14 and want something new? If so the GSXS is a great choice if you want something lighter.

Heat issues? Not really....I do notice a little heat by my right foot but I think that is due to the cat sitting right under there. Not an issue really.
The bike does pitch you forward to keep the weight over the front. Suzuki figured its safer that way with a 160hp engine in a smallish 460lb bike.

The new CB1k is a gorgeous bike but its gonna cost 12.5k or thereabouts.
Maybe next time but 7300 dollars vs 12.5 made my decision easier.

I really have no complaints with my 1k. Its a great bike. I wish it didn't pitch me forward but thats a small niggle.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I sold my Busa to my brother so I still swap out from time to time between the two. We exchanged keys for a few miles last Sunday and in traffic try as I may It was difficult to keep up with him riding my bike, its just so nimble and quick and shoots gaps easily. The Busa is a large powerful beast but not as confidence inspiring in tight spots and the twisties. That being said once the road opened up the Busa easily walked away from the S but who can ride that fast at all times. In the real world the S is actually so much more comfortable not to mention practical. For me the Busa is the girl you have the one night stand with but the S is the girl you marry, just one mans opinion of course.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well, today I took a detour and made my 25km commute to work into 85km. Only now occurred to me that I didn't think of the throttle once. I may be adapting to it (but still at only 1,100km with the bike). Bear in mind that I'm coming from a docile 600cc machine (Yamaha FZS600). Point is that unlike me, you have experience with sharp, powerful bikes, so the direct fuelling of the Suzuki shouldn't come as a surprise for you. I'd go for it, the beast puts a grin on my face everytime I ride it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well put guys...will be on the lookout for a decently priced S. Here in Alberta Canada there are "No" used at this point. Some of the dealers pricing is upwards of almost 15k with all taxes in. Some deals will present themselves as summer moves on.
Thanks for the input.
Much blessing as you bike

1 - 20 of 24 Posts