GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yeah, buddy! That's awesome! I'm at 27 and never been to a track, but I've always wanted to go so **** bad. You give me hope! Lots of hope! Glad you enjoyed it!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Nice, I really need to get back to the track and really want to run the GSX-S there but time and money have not aligned for me as of yet.

Ok, so we know there was a track photographer there, where's the pictures?

Also, you'll be annoying all your loved ones as you won't be able to shut up about your trackday for at least a week. Good stuff, love when someone gets to experience their first trackday.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Road Atlanta for my first ever track day at age 48. Though I was 18 again, such a blast!! Glad I had the little windshield, hitting 150 mph on back stretch.

Fantastic! That looks like a SportBikeTrackTime sticker. I have done 4 track days with them but none with the gsx-s. I hope to go in Oct and Nov to Barber MotorSports Park in BHam.
You should consider making the drive down depending on where in SC you live. It would be worth the drive. Fantastic track.

I am 52 years old and made my first track day at 50. Just like you said, you feel like a kid and wonder what took you so long to do it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys. I bought this ride in Dec last year and it's my first sports bike since I was 20 (had a gsx750es back in the day)!! Had a m109r and a dirt bike in between but that's it.
Have a video from my "dash cam" of an entire 20 minute session if anyone wants to see it:

Critique the **** out of it, I'd like to hear what a wuzz I am :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Gsxsfan, you are looking pretty good to me. I am slow but it is a blast.

Reagenn - go to https://www.sportbiketracktime.com and you can see where and when the track dates are and what the requirements are as far as rider gear and bike prep. It is really pretty simple to prepare the bike. The killer for some is they don't have leathers but you can rent them for a couple times to see if it is something you are really interested in. You can also buy used like I did. Most fun you ever had guaranteed.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thank you guys. I bought this ride in Dec last year and it's my first sports bike since I was 20 (had a gsx750es back in the day)!! Had a m109r and a dirt bike in between but that's it.

Critique the **** out of it, I'd like to hear what a wuzz I am :)

How do you have your gopro mounted? I just got one and have a couple mounts but want to make sure I get the best view when I go.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Tom.d but there are people lots faster than I am but it sure was a fun start.
Bike and body came back as "pretty" as when I left the house :)

Reagenn,

You can also check out "N2 Track days" and ridepre.com.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How do you have your gopro mounted? I just got one and have a couple mounts but want to make sure I get the best view when I go.
Tom,

I usually have it sticking out beside my windshield when I ride street but at track speed it would have never worked.
I have a RAM mount usually used for my phone and got a RAM mount "ball" that works with that clamp that mounts to my waterproof camera case. That way I was able to keep it behind the windshield to keep it from flying off. Also had to tiewrap it to the bike just in case, they don't want cameras go flying on the track.
Sound would have been much better if I didn't have it in the waterproof case but it was just the most secure way to do it for the track.
I have an AKASO Brave 6 camera (too cheap for gopro!). Works pretty darn well for $80 including accessory kit.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice, I really need to get back to the track and really want to run the GSX-S there but time and money have not aligned for me as of yet.

Ok, so we know there was a track photographer there, where's the pictures?

Also, you'll be annoying all your loved ones as you won't be able to shut up about your trackday for at least a week. Good stuff, love when someone gets to experience their first trackday.
yeah man, I'm still grinning about it!!!
Few issues I had:
1. My butt would not slide well across the seat, had to move my "rear" up to slide well so wish it was a little bit slicker.
2. The 1/4 turn throttle tube has to go for track use. It is waaaay to long a range to move your hand to do clutch-less up-shifts as you have to come off the gas quite far at high rpm to make it shift. On the street it's not bothering me too much as I don't usually wring it out that hard but for track it's no good. Sometimes I just ended up using the clutch but it's just not as quick and smooth.

But take the GSXS, it actually held its own better than I thought it would against "stock looking" R1s etc...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Tom,

I usually have it sticking out beside my windshield when I ride street but at track speed it would have never worked.
I have a RAM mount usually used for my phone and got a RAM mount "ball" that works with that clamp that mounts to my waterproof camera case. That way I was able to keep it behind the windshield to keep it from flying off. Also had to tiewrap it to the bike just in case, they don't want cameras go flying on the track.
Sound would have been much better if I didn't have it in the waterproof case but it was just the most secure way to do it for the track.
I have an AKASO Brave 6 camera (too cheap for gopro!). Works pretty darn well for $80 including accessory kit.
But how (or where) does it actually mount to the bike? I have a RAM mount for mine that mounts to handlebar mount(it replaces one of the bolts) and sits right behind the screen. It works pretty well but I can't get it to see my speedo. I would like to place mine in a position like yours. I have a chest mount that I have not used yet but I am not sure how it will work when leaned over the tank.

I have an Akaso V50 Elite (rated at best Knock-off camera) that I paid $138 for. It works really well so far. Came with two batteries and accessories.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But how (or where) does it actually mount to the bike? I have a RAM mount for mine that mounts to handlebar mount(it replaces one of the bolts) and sits right behind the screen. It works pretty well but I can't get it to see my speedo. I would like to place mine in a position like yours. I have a chest mount that I have not used yet but I am not sure how it will work when leaned over the tank.

I have an Akaso V50 Elite (rated at best Knock-off camera) that I paid $138 for. It works really well so far. Came with two batteries and accessories.
I'll send you a pic of my setup later this evening.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, buddy! That's awesome! I'm at 27 and never been to a track, but I've always wanted to go so **** bad. You give me hope! Lots of hope! Glad you enjoyed it!
You've got plenty of time, just getting your training wheels off :) :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'll send you a pic of my setup later this evening.

Very good. I may post a picture of my setup as well.

thanks

·
Registered
890 Posts
Add &t=255 to the end of your youtube link to skip all the waiting and get to the good stuff, like this:

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dD1ZosqE6M&t=255

·
Registered
890 Posts
yeah man, I'm still grinning about it!!!
But take the GSXS, it actually held its own better than I thought it would against "stock looking" R1s etc...
At the beginner and intermediate levels, it's all about the rider, not the bike. In fact, when I've been out on my supermoto I've been held up by bigger "better" bikes.

I'm not top level, but only some of those guys really know how to use all their bike.

Getting held up on the 400cc dirt bike. :D

1 - 20 of 70 Posts