GSXS 1000 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks for your quick response Gsxsfan.
Your screen is MUCH nicer than mine, also a Puig (pic attached) I'll see what I can can find.
Thanks again
TTFN Fezwick
Is that an air horn on the side of your bike or what kind of gizmo is it?

Registered
Hahaha, right 1st time Gsxsfan.
There's just no space to fit it anywhere else.

Had to get a red one to match the bike !

Tell people who ask, it's a electric supercharger.

You won't believe how many accept that answer 馃槀

Registered
Nice photo on the track. Next time you can start working on moving your butt around. When you are on the bike it feels like you are hanging off but you really aren't. I got some good advice many moons ago about starting to learn to hang off. It's gross to tell, but put the edge of your seat in your butt crack. You'll definitely know when it's there and it's a good measure of how far over you are. It's not that far over really, but you'll slide your butt over and not there yet, slide some more, not there, slide some more, and holy crap it's there but you feel WAY off the seat. In reality you are still only halfway there but it's a good way to get started.

Registered
Discussion Starter #44
Nice photo on the track. Next time you can start working on moving your butt around. When you are on the bike it feels like you are hanging off but you really aren't. I got some good advice many moons ago about starting to learn to hang off. It's gross to tell, but put the edge of your seat in your butt crack. You'll definitely know when it's there and it's a good measure of how far over you are. It's not that far over really, but you'll slide your butt over and not there yet, slide some more, not there, slide some more, and holy crap it's there but you feel WAY off the seat. In reality you are still only halfway there but it's a good way to get started.
They actually showed us what to look for with the "crack" and arm positions. However, arms are a little bit different on our bikes than what they showed because handlebars are closer on our bike than on "crotch rockets". I did work on it some but was having some issues sliding my suit over the seat, seemed to stick pretty good and had to lift up some. Will work on that more next time. Trying to get to a track that's a little bit slower next time with more turns to get more of that kind of practice.
Thanks for any advice you can give!

Registered
Man, it awesome that you got out on the track! Too many riders are intimidated by the track, which is unfortunate. I think your video shows that you are absolutely capable enough to move past where you are (which is a beginning track rider) and improve quickly to a greater degree of proficiency. The single best thing you can do, and my only 'critique' is, is to get back onto the track - as soon as you can and as much as you possibly can. Since I don't know what the format for your track day was, I won't try and give any other 'advice' except to recommend that you go back out there, tap expert track riders and LEARN. Be a sponge.

And post up pics when you DO go! :D

Registered
Discussion Starter #47
Man, it awesome that you got out on the track! Too many riders are intimidated by the track, which is unfortunate. I think your video shows that you are absolutely capable enough to move past where you are (which is a beginning track rider) and improve quickly to a greater degree of proficiency. The single best thing you can do, and my only 'critique' is, is to get back onto the track - as soon as you can and as much as you possibly can. Since I don't know what the format for your track day was, I won't try and give any other 'advice' except to recommend that you go back out there, tap expert track riders and LEARN. Be a sponge.

And post up pics when you DO go! :D
Already looking for the next track day!! :)

Registered
Thank you guys. I bought this ride in Dec last year and it's my first sports bike since I was 20 (had a gsx750es back in the day)!! Had a m109r and a dirt bike in between but that's it.
Have a video from my "dash cam" of an entire 20 minute session if anyone wants to see it:

Critique the **** out of it, I'd like to hear what a wuzz I am /forum/images/DiscoverySport_net/smilies/tango_face_smile.png
Props to you!!!! That was the perfect way to ride on your first track day鈥 Nice and calm, well within the limits. Baby steps...or not. Bet it was fun in that heat too!! You make me want to take mine out when it cools down a bit

Registered
Discussion Starter #49
Props to you!!!! That was the perfect way to ride on your first track day鈥 Nice and calm, well within the limits. Baby steps...or not. Bet it was fun in that heat too!! You make me want to take mine out when it cools down a bit
Oh yes it was fun ( and HOT), fun enough that I was just in the garage prepping for track day #2 !!
Going to Carolina Motorsports Park this weekend :)

Attachments

Registered
Looks like your having lots of fun with the track days. I plan to do Barber Motorsports Park in Oct and Nov if the weather permits. It is a blast for sure.
It will be my 5th track day but my first on the gsx-s. Can't wait.

Registered
How did you like the YCRS experience?
Absolutely fantastic! Nick Ienatch, Kyle Wyman and other guest pros, really great insight and instruction. Have done 2, one in AZ other in NJ. Had a blast and improved my riding for sure. YCRS's emphasis was all about body position and trail braking. (getting off thread topic here)!

Registered
Hi Fezwick,
It鈥檚 a actually a Puig screen for a Suzuki Bking.
Wasn鈥檛 crazy about options out there at the time so found it and thought it would look ok with the lines of the bike.
Had to make my own mounting brackets though. It works ok, takes most of the wind off upper body.
Bought it on eBay for a steal.
I think that looks sweet on the GSX s1000. I actually have an 08 B King with that screen on it. By chance you wouldn't happen to have any pics of how you have it attached or how you made the brackets up would you? I would love to move it over and give it a try on the GSX s1000.

Registered
Discussion Starter #57
I think that looks sweet on the GSX s1000. I actually have an 08 B King with that screen on it. By chance you wouldn't happen to have any pics of how you have it attached or how you made the brackets up would you? I would love to move it over and give it a try on the GSX s1000.
Got about 1-1/2 in wide piece of aluminum flat bar and cut it to length and made some bends and a little bit of twist on the outer ends in it so that I could attach it over the plastic cover that covers top/front side of the dash. Painted aluminum bar flat black. Replaced the 2 screws of the plastic cover with longer ones and mounted the aluminum piece to the top of it with some standoffs between plastic and aluminum piece. Then attached winshield to the aluminum bar with some rubber grommets in between. To keep bottom of the screen attached I drilled a hole (didn鈥檛 want to, but it worked out) in the plastic cowling above the headlight and installed a 鈥渨ell nut鈥. Then drilled a hole in the windshield to match the location and used a long screw through windshield, a rubber grommet, a standoff, and into the threads in the well nut. Stayed in place just fine at 150 mph at road Atlanta so must be ok :)
Attached a pic of the aluminum flat bar holding windshield, it鈥檚 the only pic I鈥檝e got.

Attachments

Registered
On 29th Dec 2019, I took my bike to Sepang International Circuit. This is my first track day and still learning body position. Here some of my pictures.

Attachments

Registered
On 29th Dec 2019, I took my bike to Sepang International Circuit. This is my first track day and still learning body position. Here some of my pictures.
Not bad first time , hang pff more (arse off seat) and get ya head to the inside close to mirror if poss. This bike is great on track

41 - 60 of 70 Posts