GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In my humble opinion those are overkill and take up too much space and weight. Let's be honest here, if the bike needs some kind of major engine repair, we are not gonna be doing that on the side of the road even if we had the tools. As long as you have the ability to tighten every type of fastener on the bike to do simple repairs, that's all you need. Between the 2 hex keys and screw driver that come with the oem toolkit, plus the adjustable wrench I added, I got that covered. Now I just need something small that can tighten the 36 mm axle nut. A small pair of pliers with wire cutters would also be useful.

· Registered
35 Posts
In my humble opinion those are overkill and take up too much space and weight. Let's be honest here, if the bike needs some kind of major engine repair, we are not gonna be doing that on the side of the road even if we had the tools. As long as you have the ability to tighten every type of fastener on the bike to do simple repairs, that's all you need. Between the 2 hex keys and screw driver that come with the oem toolkit, plus the adjustable wrench I added, I got that covered. Now I just need something small that can tighten the 36 mm axle nut. A small pair of pliers with wire cutters would also be useful.
Honestly, over the years the tools I carry in my cars and on the bike have largely been used to fix stuff for other people. You are absolutely correct that what one needs to carry is pretty minimal.

· Registered
27 Posts
On my last 3000 mile road trip on my Suzy, I brought a 36 mm mini axle wrench that I had from one of my previous bikes, along with a small can of chain lube. If you look in the manual. Torque number for axles on the GT are 74 ft/lbs. My torque wrench is huge and heavy. Obviously not a carry item. I couldn’t break that bolt loose with my boots, so I found an Ace hardware and found a small hammer that comes apart and easily fits into my factory bags. Must have item and cheap.
Gas Nickel Tints and shades Tool Composite material
Plumbing fixture Tap Fixture Household hardware Door

· Registered
1,048 Posts
I had an older 36mm axle wrench from a GSXR tool kit from many years ago. I added it along with the extension sleeve in my kit along with a 10mm, 12mm, 14mm , 17mm combo wrenches from the same old GSXR kit. Fit fine in the GT tool pouch. I had the shock spanner left over from my 2016 GSX I use in the shop to make quick preload adjustments without having to get the one that came with the GT out of the tool kit. As for roadside tire repair I tote the Aerostitch kit complete with mini pump under the rear seat. Fits like it was meant for the space. Already had to use it to plug a flat rear tire a month ago. Worked like a charm.

· Registered
35 Posts
Do you guys think a mini bicycle pump would work to pump up a motorcycle tire?
It would probably take way too long. An electric inflator or CO2 cartridges would be easier. You need a surprising number of CO2 cartridges to safely inflate even a front tire. The threaded cartridges that come in the flat kits are expensive but you can buy an inflator that uses the cheap cartridges you can buy at any sporting goods store.

· Registered
2022 GSX-S1000GT+ blue
264 Posts
Heck, my last two bikes had less or no tools that this one! I carry a small electric tire inflater from Slime under the seat that worked wonders for me. I also keep old school tire plugs as that injection type tool would not work to save my a*&. I had several other riders try it with no success. I think I just need to find a 36mm open end type wrench that's two pieces, like the Hayabusa kit someone mentioned. I believe this is the 99-08 Busa kit, but nothing says the sizes of the tools https://www.partzilla.com/product/suzuki/09800-21028

· Registered
155 Posts
+1 for the powered tire inflators. I had a puncture on the R6 back in June, I got a plug in and pumped the tire up enough with the inflator to get it moving. Way better than flogging away with a bicycle pump....

· Registered
16 Posts
I ordered a Topeak Mini Morph G (very compact, just over 10" long) to supplement the cO2 cartridges and to adjust pressures while on the road. Once it arrives, I'll let you guys know how it works out.
I aired the front tire down to 20 psi to see how many pumps it would take to get to 36 psi... Using the Topeak mini pump, it took 240ish (IIRC) pumps to back to pressure. Not ideal, but it would be a legitimate option combined with cO2 cartridges. I'm a bit of a glutton for punishment, so YMMV.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts