GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading that the GSX-S1000 has a Top Speed of about 156 MPH, but that is wrong.

I can do 156 MPH in 5th gear with the stock gearing/sprockets.

I made a short video of a 3rd gear WOT to about my 5th RPM Shift point. I let off the throttle at about my shift RPM in 5th gear.

I just want to show that the Top Speed is faster than 156 MPH.

Reactions: Cap1Kid

·
Registered
152 Posts
You didnt go faster than 156 ? to prove it isnt limited, go out again and do another...:):) mine hesistated between 155 and 156 in 6th, fitted the smart TRE last week, had it to 160 so far with more to come in 6th.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have been to 160 on the speedo stock gearing. Not sure what the actual speed was. I will record it next time and use a gps.

Reactions: mike d

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You didnt go faster than 156 ? to prove it isnt limited, go out again and do another...:):) mine hesistated between 155 and 156 in 6th, fitted the smart TRE last week, had it to 160 so far with more to come in 6th.
Can you not read? In my post, I said the top speed is faster than 156, because I can do that in 5th gear. The video is proving that 156 is not the max MPH, when considering shifting into 6th gear after being in 5th at that MPH. The motorcycle will go faster than 165+ in 6th gear.

Other people have gone faster than 156 MPH.

Again, I was trying to stop the false statements and rumors that the Top Speed only 156, and help build up the GSXS's reputation. You're no help.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been to 160 on the speedo stock gearing. Not sure what the actual speed was. I will record it next time and use a gps.
Thanks for the reply, TheDude. It's nice to read another good rider than can vouch for the GSXS.

I'll post up a faster video too.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Can you not read? In my post, I said the top speed is faster than 156, because I can do that in 5th gear. The video is proving that 156 is not the max MPH, when considering shifting into 6th gear after being in 5th at that MPH. The motorcycle will go faster than 165+ in 6th gear.

Again, I was trying to stop the false statements and rumors that the Top Speed only 156, and help build up the GSXS's reputation. You're no help.

The gearing in 5th is 34/25 and 6th is 33/26, only a 7% difference which would mean a potential top speed of 167 mph HOWEVER 6th gear is limited to 10,750 RPM by closing the Secondary Throttles.

10,750RPM in 6th gear is 156 MPH

However this is easily defeated with a reflash or a TRE

·
Registered
14 Posts
Speed is restricted in 6th gear and the speedometers are notoriously miss calibrated. After break in and changinging my rear tire to a q3 i did several back to back top speed runs and saw an indicated speed of 164 mph. I was happy, I thought maybe the profile of the new rear tire gave me a few extra mph because its restricted by rpm in 6th. Turns out after repeating some top gear high speed runs my speedometer was off by11mph. Mine hits the chip in 6th @153 every time. I've reached the same speed in 5th. I'm going the route of reflashing the ecu to raise the rev limiter by 500 rpm, remove the top speed restriction, disable the pair valve, disable the exhaust valve, eliminate the timing retard, eliminate the fuel cut, make the secondary throttle blades open mare aggressively and stay open. I know a lot of people swear by the Tre and other devices but in my opinion I can get more out of a proper reflash.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Speed is restricted in 6th gear and the speedometers are notoriously miss calibrated. After break in and changing my rear tire to a q3 i did several back to back top speed runs and saw an indicated speed of 164 mph. I was happy, I thought maybe the profile of the new rear tire gave me a few extra mph because its restricted by rpm in 6th. Turns out after repeating some top gear high speed runs my speedometer was off by 11mph. Mine hits the chip in 6th @153 every time. I've reached the same speed in 5th. I'm going the route of re-flashing the ecu to raise the rev limiter by 500 rpm, remove the top speed restriction, disable the pair valve, disable the exhaust valve, eliminate the timing retard, eliminate the fuel cut, make the secondary throttle blades open mare aggressively and stay open. I know a lot of people swear by the Tre and other devices but in my opinion I can get more out of a proper re-flash.
My motorcycle only hits the limit in 6th gear. Not sure why, but only in 6th gear.

I only have a Dynojet PCV setup (see signature), so I cannot turn off the secondary butterflies. But for right now...164 MPH is fast enough for me.

I would agree with you about getting more out of a proper re-flash. Especially in comparison to this Dynojet setup I purchased, the re-flash would be a superior choice.

I did find a video of me letting off the throttle at 164MPH in 6th. This video shows the Top Speed of the GSX-S1000 is not 156 MPH and is 164 MPH for my motorcycle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's great that you can reach that speed but I'm curious to know is it indicated by the speedometer or verified by a GPS ? If it's by the speedometer only then I have to question its accuracy . BTW I also use a Power Commander 5 and It made a big improvement. I will still be using it once I get the ecu flashed in conjunction with either a dyno tune or with the auto tune...

·
Registered
985 Posts
That blue car in front of you was really hauling a$$, too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I keep reading that the GSX-S1000 has a Top Speed of about 156 MPH, but that is wrong.

I made a short video of a 3rd gear WOT to about my 5th RPM Shift point. I let off the throttle at about my shift RPM in 5th gear.

I agree the 1000 is much faster, my GSXS750 topped out at 155mph...

·
Registered
32 Posts

Just because the bike did 156 in 5th doesn't mean it will go faster in 6th. Bikes are top speeds are air resistance limited. Depending peak power happens it might actually be slower in 6th. The C5 Corvette is a real world example of this.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Very good point, I am aware of one particular model of 911 (I forget which one) that has an 8-speed transmission but its top speed is actually achieved in 6th gear.

However, in the case of our bike, it'll do faster in 6th because the gearing difference between 5th and 6th is so slight, intended to squeeze a couple more mph out of the bike (remember, our transmission is straight out of a race bike). If the intent of 6th gear was to contribute to fuel economy (as in a 'Vette or Porsche 911) then the jump between gears would be more pronounced.

Besides, there are several videos showing the GSXS being taken to actual top speed, and they all show the bike being run up to redline in 5th then shifted into 6th and continuing to climb.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My motorcycle only hits the limit in 6th gear. Not sure why, but only in 6th gear.

I only have a Dynojet PCV setup (see signature), so I cannot turn off the secondary butterflies. But for right now...164 MPH is fast enough for me.

I would agree with you about getting more out of a proper re-flash. Especially in comparison to this Dynojet setup I purchased, the re-flash would be a superior choice.

I did find a video of me letting off the throttle at 164MPH in 6th. This video shows the Top Speed of the GSX-S1000 is not 156 MPH and is 164 MPH for my motorcycle.

Get a GPS and place that up there and show 164 mph. I do not really care whether it goes that fast since my time is in the twisties not on some interstate. And yes we can all read, did you read the part about very few if any speedos being accurate. There is usually a 7-11% error towards a lower speed to make you think you are faster LOL

Reactions: dekker

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have no camera to prove it on here but after my flash I went for a top speed run and got 175. Dont remember exact rpm but it looked about maxed at a glance. My first time that fast on a bike so I didnt want to take my eyes off of the road. These bikes are beasts and are very underestimated.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Hit 153 myself in 5th to see if its possible and it is lol

·
Registered
621 Posts
Seems like a great idea to hit 150+mph in a tee shirt

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
The world is facing overpopulation. I wouldn't encourage this behaviour but I see a silver lining here.
Also glad I have the F model. That wind noise is atrocious.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts