GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Earlier this month , did a trackday at Donnington on the Gsxs1000f , I can confirm the bike can hold its own in the fast group , tyres are M7rr but I'm gonna switch to Dunny Sportsmarts when these are shagged. I am 12.5 st and I found pos 5 on rear preload lifted the rear and gave nice feel and handling .On the front I ran preload showing 2 rings , and comp and reb on 7 clicks out. Brakes were ok but not brilliant tbh , but I guess it dependes what you are used too. Anyway all in all a brilliant day and the bike performed well , so if you are considering getting your gsxs on track DO IT !

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
Earlier this month , did a trackday at Donnington on the Gsxs1000f , I can confirm the bike can hold its own in the fast group , tyres are M7rr but I'm gonna switch to Dunny Sportsmarts when these are shagged. I am 12.5 st and I found pos 5 on rear preload lifted the rear and gave nice feel and handling .On the front I ran preload showing 2 rings , and comp and reb on 7 clicks out. Brakes were ok but not brilliant tbh , but I guess it dependes what you are used too. Anyway all in all a brilliant day and the bike performed well , so if you are considering getting your gsxs on track DO IT !
just wondering why are you going from m7rr,s to sport smarts as i am thinking of going the other way, i have sportsmarts and when they are shagged im going to put on m7rr,s, i must just say that the sport smarts are very good but thought the m7rr,s were better

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just wondering why are you going from m7rr,s to sport smarts as i am thinking of going the other way, i have sportsmarts and when they are shagged im going to put on m7rr,s, i must just say that the sport smarts are very good but thought the m7rr,s were better
I like the front Dunlop more than the front Metz to be honest. Dunnys give me more feel , however I know plenty of guys who prefer the other way round. Either tyre will do you well and will handle fast road and track riding with ease.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ludster, Did you have your gopro filming ???

·
Registered
71 Posts

Heres me a while ago on a cold and damp Cadwell Park, just chilling filming a chap on a superduke and giving instruction. Everything standard incl D214 tyres.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Awesome ludster! Can't wait to get mine on track. Good to hear you were able to wrangle people in the fast group!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome ludster! Can't wait to get mine on track. Good to hear you were able to wrangle people in the fast group!
Did ok , not the fastest , certainly not the slowest , out and out trackbikes will always duff us up as the trackbikes may have better sussies , better brakes ,faster, and be cheaper to crash !
Huge fun

·
Registered
328 Posts
Ha ha ha! Love your comment "cheaper to crash".

Did ok , not the fastest , certainly not the slowest , out and out trackbikes will always duff us up as the trackbikes may have better sussies , better brakes ,faster, and be cheaper to crash !
Huge fun

·
Registered
71 Posts
It was inters-was filming the chap on the superduke and giving some guidance. Think we were doing over two minute laps!!- the best lap ( on a superbike I have done was 1.42- but with slicks ) I think it was about 6 degrees that day!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
yeah, seems a little strange on a track day with heated grips ( bit surreal )...

My thoughts on this bike for the track-

+
Engine
Engine
Engine
Handling ( wide bars leverage )
Heated Grips!
Gearbox

-minus`s

Ground clearance
Needs stomp grips
Bit soft all around re suspension
Brakes not up to it- lever coming back to bar within a few hot laps.
Gearing problems-changed front sprockets for 16 tooth ( I think ), was miles better.

Overall for Novice and Inters the bike is absolutely fine, even with standard tyres. Once the pace hots up the main problem is the brakes- with braided lines and better pads I`m sure these will be sorted- ABS does cut in from time to time but better than I thought. Just brake fade the main problem.

For me, the only time I ride this on track is when the weather is quite iffy ( quite often ). What I have found is that on a road bike, when riding to the circuit, you naturally knock it off loads and possibly this is more enjoyable than my all out ZX10R superbike. Of course there is miles more pace with the superbike but it just goes to say, sometimes being chilled and not trying makes for a great track day, with no stress etc involved. I do think that once this bike`s brakes are sorted that this would be quicker than my S1000R which had stability problems once you were under 1.50 at Cadwell. Not a relaxing place to be on that one. But overall the GSXS is really a very "planted" bike.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I find front brakes are wooden , although tbh I didnt get fade . I have stomp grips on mine , I also have heated grips not just on gsxs but the other bikes I own. Ground clearance seems ok I cant touch the hero blobs down strangely enough. I agree on the riding a gsxs on track , i always ride at 8.5 /10 on track as I dont own a trackbike. I find my Tuono better on track for handling but gsxs loads more power. There are pics in the gallery of me on track on Tuono and gsxr1000l10 but dont have any of me on gsxs yet

·
Registered
71 Posts
Was getting the pegs down through the chicane and a few other corners, though I still had the hero blobs on!! My body position is pretty good too so its the bike.

Ive got stomp grips on mine- for all powerful bikes they are a must. Did an open pit lane day last year and my Zx10 packed up so went out on the gSXS 1000. Was hilarious but brakes coming back to the bar ( was a hot day and I was going for it a bit though. )

Best track bike I ever owned was an Aprilia RSV4 APRC. Truly amazing bike.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts