GSXS 1000 Forum banner

How do you typically use your traction control?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few different threads about what settings people tend to use on their Traction Control, but I thought it worthwhile posting a thread with a poll to keep track of responses.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Depends on the day really.
If I'm trundling into work it'll be on two on these cold damp mornings, 1 was fun on the demonstrator when riding like a looney across road surfaces I wasn't sure off (made me smile when the anti wheelie kicked in) and I've used 3 when all the wet leaves were in the road one morning. I still like to show off and throw in the odd wheelie every now and again so I'll probably be riding with the traction turned off too come the better weather and the bikes ran in;)

Heck! I'm getting old but I'm not dead>:D

3 in the sunshine is for pussies;)

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
tell ya the truth 1 or 3 feel the same to me..same hard pull if off or 3....most of my riding is highway and 3 has same pull and top speed....so i have no problem keeping in 3.....now if going to drag strip it would be off,,because you never know if you will need that extra tenth of a second.....but since a few here say they ride hard in the streets on the twisty,s ..i still cant see where off or 1 will make you faster ..just wont happen unless your a pro rider on a track making a living at it....roy and maybe one other can handle full blown all out balls to the wall track racing with tc off

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have mine permanently on one. Only reason it's not off is because I don't like the orange light on my dash when it's off

·
Registered
538 Posts
I use setting 3.
My bike is a joke to ride in any other setting, bucking all over the place, can't be doing with it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
307 Posts
mine is in 1, 95 percent of the time but i do put it in 3 when im riding in the towns as it does smooth the throttle out a lot but mine isn't to snatchy

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
tell ya the truth 1 or 3 feel the same to me..same hard pull if off or 3....most of my riding is highway and 3 has same pull and top speed....so i have no problem keeping in 3.....
And I'll bet in your old school reports the teacher wrote "Must try harder";)>:D

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
And I'll bet in your old school reports the teacher wrote "Must try harder";)>:D
thats for sure how you know :D...but all the timing,,fueling that kicks in on T.C doesent happen till there is wheel spin ..... faster or slower then the other wheel....1,2 3 or off the power is the same,,,,,the pull is the same...timing is the same,,,fuel is the same untill you lose traction....im willing to bet dyno numbers will be the same also....now ill go to the corner

·
Registered
990 Posts
thats for sure how you know :D...but all the timing,,fueling that kicks in on T.C doesent happen till there is wheel spin ..... faster or slower then the other wheel....1,2 3 or off the power is the same,,,,,the pull is the same...timing is the same,,,fuel is the same untill you lose traction....im willing to bet dyno numbers will be the same also....now ill go to the corner
That's what I've always thought, too. Never noticed it kicking in on setting 3, but then, I'm still taking it a somewhat easy during the break-in and familiarization period. I'll have to experiment to see if I detect any throttle difference with the different levels.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

I agree. In the perfect world when you don't get any rear wheel slip or front wheelie then you won't get any interference from the traction control whatever mode you are in. But, I've never seen a Dyno machine for a bike where the front wheel turns. It's normally strapped down pretty hard. All the traction control does is allow a greater or lesser difference depending on the mode of speed difference between the two wheels.
In the real world when you are accelerating hard the ripples or just changes in tarmac is enough to cause some slip and in mode three it will cut power sooner than in mode one. You hardly feel the intrusion most of the time. It just feels like it's a little slower accelerating, slightly bogged down feeling.
Or, if you are accelerating fast enough to keep the front wheel about an inch of the ground it will keep cutting in until the front wheel drops so the speed difference is maintained.
Skimming the front wheel used to be the optimum way to get the most acceleration out of your bike but it's not now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
990 Posts
I did some brief testing in all modes riding this evening and couldn't tell any difference from OFF to level 3. I wasn't riding so aggressively that the front wheel would come up, though. In my short time with the bike, I've never been aware of it kicking in while in any mode.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I usually ride in "1" and have never had it trigger. I put it in "3" tonight and did some aggressive starts and the TC blinked a couple times.
I'm satisfied it's doing something. ;)

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
After break in i let it rip from 1st rolling start...was in mode 3 pulling towards upper rpm it started flickering ...cold night so rear tire was breaking free a little.....modes are more for the guys who pull hard threw corners on the street while leaning...thats where i think TC works best .....i dont ride that way i like going straight...i will play on twistys from time to time ...but im no hero so mode 3 it is

1 - 20 of 34 Posts