GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys havnt long had my gsx-s only done 160miles on it
so far just wondering whats most common traction control setting??

·
Registered
647 Posts
For me it depended on the temp and road condition. 1 for country road riding in glorious sunshine. 2 for faffing around towns and whenever I want a lively pullaway without doing a wheelie in dry conditions and 3 for the rest of the year.

·
Registered
189 Posts
hi guys havnt long had my gsx-s only done 160miles on it
so far just wondering whats most common traction control setting??
Mine was set to mode 2 when I rode it away from the dealership and I haven't seen a need to change it. I would probably change it to Mode 3 if I got caught in the rain. My first track day on this bike will be in late March and I may end up using Mode 1 then.

·
Registered
54 Posts
For me its 2 for everyday and weekend twisties . Havnt got the chance to ride it in or after rain, so i havnt got the chance to test it in mode 3.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Have not had mine out of mode 1.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I think they over complicate things some times, a switch with on and off would do me, either it's wet or it wheel stand time :)
I often turn mine on just so the TC light isn't on and I wish they programmed it the other way.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I had mine on one all the time, was out on wet/damp roads in between xmas and new year here in Scotland and thought I might need three but as my button got stuck I ended up leaving it on one and used my common sense instead.
Didnt get a flicker from the light at any point and got home in one piece even after some low level flying ;-)

·
Registered
447 Posts
What do you guys think the future of this technology is?

I like it for us. We've known that throttle control is important, and a 1000cc anything is to be respected. TC can step in and hopefully fill in for those occasions when we misjudge.

What about those who dont? The people who will move up to these bikes in ten years? Will they end up idiot-proofing any bike powerful enough to get a rider into trouble?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Interesting thought. And will it also diminish their skills you could ask?
Personally I have more of a problem with the ABS than the traction control. TC comes in very smooth and you hardly notice it ( other than a lack of power) but you get funky in the brakes or find a bit of slippy road and the bike just doesn't behave like I'm used too. I never realised how much I would ride with my wheel doing different speeds until now

·
Registered
85 Posts
Weve all seen videos with the tc light flashing like crazy, and weve all read on forums how riders have had the tc light flickering nearly permanent on bends and also in a straight.
This tells me that some riders are growing to completely rely on these SAFETY aids but some see them as rider aids.
Do we think that one day these AIDS will let us down bigtime?
Bit like wearing a helmet,you feel a whole lot safer but are you?
How do you see TC and ABS , safety or rider aids? Get my drift.......

·
Registered
447 Posts
I go between all the opinions on the rider aids, for sure. I see good and bad.

One cool thought might be what else a rider might be able to concentrate on when we not longer really need to worry about how powerful brakes or an engine is?

I go back to when I was a kid. My mom had a Ford car. No power brakes, no power steering, manual transmission. No way would she have been texting and driving in that car.

·
Registered
285 Posts
hey how long is a piece of string ?Not bagging the question but really the only way to find your settings Traction or suspension is to ride the bike and see what works for you.Brand new bike at the track and it's pissing down . Never had traction control except own wrist before. Into 3 and all day in the wet no dramas but can see the light coming on in nearly every corner , telling me it's trying to help. In the dry at the track ride as hard as i want in 2 while i learn this new bike and never once seen the light come on. When i get so good that the traction control is cutting in on corners maybe then i will go to 1 , and so on ..... Some people will say turn it off or use 1 , but really until you know what you and it can do , start at the bottom and work your way up . This is a rider aid and can't replace skill or experience , but it may save you a lot of grief if you get it wrong, these aids are necessary as bikes are ridiculously powerful and available to any numb nut with enough cash, they need to be protected from themselves, cars soon will drive themselves because most drivers are so incompetent, more driver training and more restriction on what you can buy as a lumpy and less rider aids is what i prefer. But guess what i'm dreaming,bikes will be driving themselves in the not to distant future while the ''lucky'' owner tweets and has a coffee hmmm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts