GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
:laugh:
Sweet! Good catch. It doesn't always happen like that I can assure you. I've had my bike throw a massive tank slapper in TC1 before now on a straight road. Mind you, I was kinda asking for it;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ive had it happen quite a bit when really hammering on particularly at grippy circuits in warm weather Angellsey in particular. Saved my ass loads times , funny thing is I neva had tc till this bike , prior to the gixus I had 2010 gixa , prior to that a v2 aprillia ...laptimes are similiar on all bizarely

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Mine gives me quite a slap coming onto the start straight ever lap at this track.
It feels good though!

Lud that was a very warm day, i was happy with how it had gone, glad my mate was behind me too.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I managed to get out for a brief 60 mile ride last week, first time for about 3 months.
It was cold but dry so I was on winter setting TC3. Lots of flashing from the TC light accelerating out of bends, gave my ego a real good massage.:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
This was on a trackday in france at Folembray.
I have had this twice, but it just shows how TC1 can help you out!

https://youtu.be/X9CWbDh8KPY
Is it really the TC1 in action, or you instinctively easing off on the wrist when you sensed it?

I've had similar situation at times and have never seen TC1 kick in. TC2 or 3 may have helped, but I wouldn't know, cos I'm never on those setting.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine gives me quite a slap coming onto the start straight ever lap at this track.
It feels good though!

Lud that was a very warm day, i was happy with how it had gone, glad my mate was behind me too.
when it looks a big slide like that on film ...boy you really feel in from the seat lol

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I never saw the frequent flashing I normally get in the dry on TC3 when I once changed to a 55 profile tyre. It was much more difficult to make the light flash.
So I'm wondering if using a 55 profile tyre narrows the safety margin that Suzuki intended.
Anyway I am back to the original 50 profile and happily flashing away.:D

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
im thinking where the taller rear tire turns a tad slower then the 50 , a little slip reads normal..theres a larger margin of error before tc activates

·
Registered
408 Posts
I never saw the frequent flashing I normally get in the dry on TC3 when I once changed to a 55 profile tyre. It was much more difficult to make the light flash.
So I'm wondering if using a 55 profile tyre narrows the safety margin that Suzuki intended.
Anyway I am back to the original 50 profile and happily flashing away.:D
I also noticed that and wondered the same thing

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didnt see the traction control light, i just assumed it was TC1 doing its thing, i'm quite sure it wasnt me!
It did happen twice, both towards the end of the day, it was very hot and i think the tyres had a beating!

I didn't think about the tyres but that was a 55.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I also noticed that and wondered the same thing

folk have mentioned they switch to the 55 for increased agility , is this correct?

Would you recommend doing so ; I will let the machine stay as it is for a couple of months (I want to feel its quirks) but the tyres need to be changed , Michelin Pilot roads have to be imlpemented

Just unsure as to whether the 55 would be more beneficial?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have run 55’s since removing the stock tires around 1500 miles, they were toast by then. Stock tires, the traction light was constantly flashing, 55’s I have only seen once or twice. 55’s give you a larger footprint along with quicker turn ins. I ran the PR 4 rear in a 55 and liked it, I have the Bridgestone 22’s now front and back. I’m guessing larger footprint with better tires helped in the traction department, I always wondered about what the circumference did to the traction control.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Try one and see if you like it.
It makes the bike feel slightly more agile and tips in quicker, feels more planted at higher cornering speeds and lasts about as long as the fifty. Only downside is it's a little less stable in a straight line. You soon get used to it though.
Mostly, i think the decision relies on your riding style. I've always prefered a more twisty, shall we say aggressive route, so it suited me perfectly but the fifty will get you there just as quick but with a little more effort in the fun stuff and greater comfort when cruising

·
Registered
85 Posts
Try one and see if you like it.
It makes the bike feel slightly more agile and tips in quicker, feels more planted at higher cornering speeds and lasts about as long as the fifty. Only downside is it's a little less stable in a straight line. You soon get used to it though.
Mostly, i think the decision relies on your riding style. I've always prefered a more twisty, shall we say aggressive route, so it suited me perfectly but the fifty will get you there just as quick but with a little more effort in the fun stuff and greater comfort when cruising
I like acceleration over speed & spend alot of time on the british A & B roads , dont care for and avoid motorways like the plague

I like yourself like a "more twisty, shall we say aggressive route" too;)

so 55 it is.

I commute so Pilot Road 4's will be put on asap

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I like acceleration over speed & spend alot of time on the british A & B roads , dont care for and avoid motorways like the plague

I like yourself like a "more twisty, shall we say aggressive route" too;)

so 55 it is.

I commute so Pilot Road 4's will be put on asap
Try the Road 5's. I moved from the Metzeler M7RR cause I'm normally more sporty than not. I was a bit worried at first that I might be giving up a lot of grip and feel but I was wrong.
They work better at lower temps, warm up quick and are probably the best wet weather tyre I've used so far. I know they are more expensive but I've nearly doubled my mileage compared to the Metzelers.
I highly rate them for our climate and good old Blighty's roads:)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
The 50 profile is to give more rubber on the road when on full lean. The 55 will give a sharper turn in.
If you were to put 120 by70 front tyres on both ends, the bike would be handling like a racing bicycle, but the rear would twist out sideways under power in a slight corner.
Suzuki chose safety with the 190 width/ 50 profile, but a 180 with 50 profile could be good option against a 190/55 to get both pieces of the pie.

Rob.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The 50 profile is to give more rubber on the road when on full lean. The 55 will give a sharper turn in.
If you were to put 120 by70 front tyres on both ends, the bike would be handling like a racing bicycle, but the rear would twist out sideways under power in a slight corner.
Suzuki chose safety with the 190 width/ 50 profile, but a 180 with 50 profile could be good option against a 190/55 to get both pieces of the pie.

Rob.
50 gives you more of a footprint when the bike is NOT in a lean, 55 is the one for a larger contact patch in a lean. Most supersport liter bikes run 55 for this reason.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts