GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering why designing a transmission with only 6 speeds when this type of motorcycle has a high rpm about 11.5K top and others more high end bikes about 15K or more.
I feel that even going about 6K rpm on 6th gear, the engine is already screaming for more gears.
Why not making an 8 gears or even 10 gears transmission?
I understand that lots of bike riders love their bikes screaming, I have seen many motorcyclists not even changing gears, they rev the bike in 1st gear as if their only mission is to blowing the engine or blowing people ears, why doing this? What do they achieve? There is no need for this.

I wish I could be cruising about 120 MPH @ 4K or 5K max.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More gears isn't the answer, smarter ratios is. There's a pretty obvious why there aren't 8 or 10 gears - space constraints.
There has to be a clever way of doing it. The car industry found a way of doing more that traditional 3, 4 & 5 gears transmissions. Ford, Toyota & Honda have cars with 10 gears transmissions already, some bicycles have 33 speeds or more all of these gears pushed by two human legs. Imagine a 15 or 20 gear motorcycle transmission? Perhaps we don't even need a 1000cc engine with all those gears, maybe a 300cc engine would be more than enough to move us from 0 - 120 MPH, just a thought.:D
I think as we have motorcycles designed now, lots of power is lost doing nothing at all.
I think a motorcycle should cruise about 120 MPH at no more that 3K on its top gear and not almost blowing its engine at 8K or 10K constantly. :(

·
Registered
319 Posts
There has to be a clever way of doing it. The car industry found a way of doing more that traditional 3, 4 & 5 gears transmissions. Ford, Toyota & Honda have cars with 10 gears transmissions already, some bicycles have 33 speeds or more all of these gears pushed by two human legs. Imagine a 15 or 20 gear motorcycle transmission? Perhaps we don't even need a 1000cc engine with all those gears, maybe a 300cc engine would be more than enough to move us from 0 - 120 MPH, just a thought.:D
I think as we have motorcycles designed now, lots of power is lost doing nothing at all.
I think a motorcycle should cruise about 120 MPH at no more that 3K on its top gear and not almost blowing its engine at 8K or 10K constantly. :(

Your worried about your motor in 8and 10k rpms?

I take my 2018 gsx-s1000 to the track a lot

I also take my 2006 gsxr track bike as well,

and I find the gsxs is not only way more fun to ride but I have twice the power in the low and mid range coming out of corners i smoke them, and have more than enough power to hold 140 mph down the straights the bike will stay in 8k rpm all day and love it,

The transmission isn’t your issue
You need a ECU flash and full exhaust, I also saw first hand a guy on here he was sorta local, we whent on a ride,

Had a 2016 gsxs-1000F with 89,428 miles on it still ran great but the clutch was having issues

This is the same motor that’s in my gsxr that screams at me for more in 14.5k rpms

Your gsxs is very under powered from the factory maybe that’s why your thinking of having more transmission and less rpms.... that’s just mean less control at speed, less power less engine breaking, you’d be relying on only your foot and hand breaks only 35% of your stoping power, I mean we have fuel cut I’m sure they could use when your in a high gear low rpms then change two or three gears to pass cars...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
john2019 said:
feel that even going about 6K rpm on 6th gear, the engine is already screaming for more gears.
At 6K the engine isn't screaming. It's just started to reach the fun zone. The bike is designed to rev, not like a cruiser that's revving out at 7K or so.

I admit at a steady 85mph it would be nice to have an "overdrive" but really, everything is a trade off, and I don't mind the higher revs, and I'm sure the bike doesn't mind either. ;)

·
Registered
563 Posts
This isn't a long haul highway cruiser. I had similar thoughts early in my ownership, you'll get over it. 6k rpms is cruising for this bike. I'm that guy you're talking about though, almost all my acceleration in city riding is done in first.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your worried about your motor in 8and 10k rpms?
At a constant speed yes. This would contribute to generating lots of heat, friction and the spending of lots of oil and gasoline as opposed to running steady on 3k ~ 4K rpm. going about 85 ~ 100 mph.

I take my 2018 gsx-s1000 to the track a lot

I also take my 2006 gsxr track bike as well,

and I find the gsxs is not only way more fun to ride but I have twice the power in the low and mid range coming out of corners i smoke them, and have more than enough power to hold 140 mph down the straights the bike will stay in 8k rpm all day and love it,
I really appreciate you elaborating about my curiosity.

The transmission isn’t your issue
I believe you though.

You need a ECU flash and full exhaust, I also saw first hand a guy on here he was sorta local, we whent on a ride,
Yes, I want to do this. My other two bikes run much much better with the full exhaust period.

Had a 2016 gsxs-1000F with 89,428 miles on it still ran great but the clutch was having issues
This is very impressive.

This is the same motor that’s in my gsxr that screams at me for more in 14.5k rpms
Wow, that's great!

Your gsxs is very under powered from the factory maybe that’s why your thinking of having more transmission and less rpms.... that’s just mean less control at speed, less power less engine breaking, you’d be relying on only your foot and hand breaks only 35% of your stoping power, I mean we have fuel cut I’m sure they could use when your in a high gear low rpms then change two or three gears to pass cars...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, I'm getting to know the bike, I have put only like 300 miles, still on the break in period.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
john2019 said:
At 6K the engine isn't screaming. It's just started to reach the fun zone. The bike is designed to rev, not like a cruiser that's revving out at 7K or so.
Wow! and I have not hit 6K by now, (obeying the break in period rules) this is very exciting though!:D

I admit at a steady 85mph it would be nice to have an "overdrive" but really, everything is a trade off, and I don't mind the higher revs, and I'm sure the bike doesn't mind either. ;)
Yes, this is what I'm talking about, but I agree this is not a cruising bike. :D
Thanks for your info mike.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This isn't a long haul highway cruiser. I had similar thoughts early in my ownership, you'll get over it. 6k rpms is cruising for this bike.
Great! Thanks for your info.

I'm that guy you're talking about though, almost all my acceleration in city riding is done in first.
Do you do this without a CAT and full exhaust? :D

·
Registered
283 Posts
And to think - some members go -1 / +2 on the gearing for more RPM at any speed. The engine is a great engine - you will enjoy it more and more.

·
Registered
872 Posts
If you had 10 gears with a manual transmission you'd be slower because you'd be spending so much time changing gears. 6 is pretty optimal to keep the size of the gears able to handle the torque on them (unlike bicycle gears) while still being able to fit in the width of a motorcycle. Cars and trucks have a lot more room to play around with. Cars and trucks are also slower for the engine to rev and the higher gears are usually to find some better mpg. We don't need to worry so much about that on a sport bike.

Also, for reference, my FJR has only 5 gears. It doesn't need any more but they added a gear a few years ago to the models because people looked down on it in the specs when they saw it only had 5 compared to the competition's 6.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was wondering why designing a transmission with only 6 speeds when this type of motorcycle has a high rpm about 11.5K top and others more high end bikes about 15K or more.
I feel that even going about 6K rpm on 6th gear, the engine is already screaming for more gears.
I understand that lots of bike riders love their bikes screaming, I have seen many motorcyclists not even changing gears, they rev the bike in 1st gear as if their only mission is to blowing the engine or blowing people ears, why doing this? What do they achieve? There is no need for this.

It is simply not practical having more than 6 speed on a manual tranny, you would be shifting all the time. Cars do it but they have auto trannies which require, more space, weight, and bigger capacity for the torque converter. Bicycles do it, but is only ocasional when one has to shift based on terrain, not brisk driving.. Anybody asking for more gears on a motorcycle is asking for an automatic transmission. I don't want it..they have existed before and are boring and slugish...feeling like overgrown scooters.

.....in any case, the future is electric, even for motorcycles. The internal combustion engine for private use is becoming a endangered species due to the planet getting killed by hydrocarbons..mostly. An electric motor produces constant torque at any rpms, therefore they don't need a tranny, although one with a couple gears would be nice for extending bearing life. ...it is just a matter of time, everything will go electric anyway, thus more gears wont' happen.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
more gears in cars is for gas savings...have a 6 speed tranny in my car ,,,ill be doing 35 40 mph and im in 5th rpm at 1400 and 6th gear follows shortly after....thanks for manual shifting or the power mode button i can get a little power going up a hill.....any rpm on an inline motorcycle before the power curve is cruising ,,, 6000 rpm on this bike with the mileage its gets on long highway rides is laid back for this motor

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
So john2019, If you are really still in break-in, then you really haven't hit the real thrill factor zone of this engine, and it's really nice. The bike has a real Jeckyll and Hyde personality. It can cruise at 4 to 5 k and be a pleasant, enjoyable, ride. You can also twist the throttle at 6K on up and be on a complete thrill ride. Freeway riding @ 75mph (~5k) feels really relaxed to me for this machine. At 85mph (~8K), I can feel that I'm almost into the real power, so I sometimes have to twist the throttle and do illegal things for a bit, just to make me, and the bike feel good.

·
Registered
309 Posts

John,

1) This bike has so much torque that there's no need for gears any more closely spaced than what the factory has provided.

2) This engine doesn't really get into big power until at least 5K rpm, so there's no risk of any damage to run it at speeds even significantly higher than that.

3) Hardly anyone who is not an engineer is aware that it takes eight times the power to go twice as fast through a fluid (air is a fluid). So if it takes 10 horsepower to go 60 miles an hour (that's just a guess, but it's probably pretty close) then it would take 80 hp to go 120 mph. These engines don't make anywhere near 80 hp at 4500 rpm.

4) I do agree that the engine doesn't need to be spinning 5500 rpm at 85 mph, so I changed to a 190/55 tire and swapped the sprockets to +1 in the front and -1 in the rear. That made a big difference in the engine rpm on the highway. NOTE: Given the above formula for power vs speed, I may have in fact geared my bike too tall to achieve top speed in high gear anymore. However, that's not a problem because if top speed is what I'm after I can simply shift down one gear (from 6th into 5th) and then my engine would be basically back to the rpm it used to be in 6th when the bike was in stock trim. As one example of that very mindset, the current Porsche 911 has an 8-speed transmission, but achieves its top speed in 6th gear. The 7th and 8th speeds exist only to reduce engine speeds during cruise, they are too tall to support full-throttle high-speed operation.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
John,

1) This bike has so much torque that there's no need for gears any more closely spaced than what the factory has provided.
Yes, I can tell that it has lots of torque.

2) This engine doesn't really get into big power until at least 5K rpm, so there's no risk of any damage to run it at speeds even significantly higher than that.
Good to know this.

3) Hardly anyone who is not an engineer is aware that it takes eight times the power to go twice as fast through a fluid (air is a fluid). So if it takes 10 horsepower to go 60 miles an hour (that's just a guess, but it's probably pretty close) then it would take 80 hp to go 120 mph. These engines don't make anywhere near 80 hp at 4500 rpm.
110 mph would be very adequate for me, just to pass a car doing 90 mph

4) I do agree that the engine doesn't need to be spinning 5500 rpm at 85 mph,
Yes, I guess once the bike gets to a desired steady speed, it should just relax the engine about 3K max.

so I changed to a 190/55 tire and swapped the sprockets to +1 in the front and -1 in the rear. That made a big difference in the engine rpm on the highway. NOTE: Given the above formula for power vs speed, I may have in fact geared my bike too tall to achieve top speed in high gear anymore. However, that's not a problem because if top speed is what I'm after I can simply shift down one gear (from 6th into 5th) and then my engine would be basically back to the rpm it used to be in 6th when the bike was in stock trim.
This is a good idea. I make look into this option.

As one example of that very mindset, the current Porsche 911 has an 8-speed transmission, but achieves its top speed in 6th gear. The 7th and 8th speeds exist only to reduce engine speeds during cruise, they are too tall to support full-throttle high-speed operation.
Yes, this is what I'm talking about. Motorcycles should have at least 2 extra gears just for the purpose of cruising only. This will relax the engine and save gas and oil.

Wouldn't it be nice to be cruising at 90 ~ 100 mph @ 3K? Making about 70 mpg?

·
Registered
24 Posts

Simple, Suzuki threw together a bike to meet a price point from old designs and some new parts that were already made, namely the swingarm and transmission.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts