GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up some Arrow Headers, K&N filter, and Woolich tuning software with the O2 Logbox. Never done any tuning before in my life, but I figured I'd try it out and see how much damage I could do. No access to a dyno, so I'll just be driving around and using the O2 logs and seat of the pants dyno for feedback. Anyone have any suggestions, tips or tricks for a first time tune? Also, I can't remember who this is on the forum, but how the **** do you get your gsxs to power wheelie like this in 1st? Is my elevation at 4500 ft really robbing this much power? I'm 160 lbs and can't get it to come up like that... Hoping the tune and headers will give it a little more punch in the mid to get that front up.

https://youtu.be/SeNfsRwoNzI

·
Registered
152 Posts
He has a different exhaust so probably has an ecu flash also, this gives a big boost about the revs where the front wheel lifts, mine will lift in first if I open/close the throttle but wont lift like his :( I have a decat, just waiting for the ecu flash. Good luck with yours :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that's what I'm hoping for after the headers and a tune... those clutch ups in his 2nd gear look more effortless and lower rpms than mine do in 1st. I'll keep you posted on the results of newb tuning. So far I went in and unified the ignition for all the gears. Seemed to make a slight difference in 1st, 2nd.. but not as much as I was hoping. It'll be interesting to see what the Wideband and logbox say tonight after a couple of pulls.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have similar setup.
Arrow + Mivv Edge + Airbox"mod".
Logbox and some tuning done.
So far I have seen from the log the few times I do a full throttle pull in the first three gears, that there is no need to add fuel at rpm > 6-7k.
It runs very rich stock, and the "open" exhaust/filter do not give *that* much better flow/power.
What I have done is to lean out the IAP quite a bit. The result is just as good mileage as before, but without throttle issues.

My bike does powerwheelies with ease in 1st. Even easier than what that brazialian guy demonstrates.
It also does wheelies without clutch assistance i 2nd, but remember that a full tank vs almost empty makes quite a big difference.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info! I appreciate it. On my software, it says I have a Map 0, and Map 1 to choose from when I'm looking at the fuel or ignition maps on Woolich. Any idea what the difference is? Can't seem to find any info on that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for the info! I appreciate it. On my software, it says I have a Map 0, and Map 1 to choose from when I'm looking at the fuel or ignition maps on Woolich. Any idea what the difference is? Can't seem to find any info on that.
The bike runs on the 0 map, I asked Woolich about what pins on the ECU for a map switch but they were unable to positively identify the map switch pins. The 1 map is pretty much useless until you have a switch to change maps.

One thing you need to do is change the STP map for 6th gear and bring the top rev openings back to 100 (11200 rpm and up). I have also got my STP opening a bit more agressively and are at 100 from 6000rpm across all of the gears, although I am yet to notice any significant improvement.

Try not to change the default settings on autotune, as increasing the maximum change % and autotune strength is not necessarily a good thing.
As far as AFR goes, I have played with a few different target AFR's but currently I am tuning back to Woolich stock AFR. Once I am happy with that and have a reliable tune, I will likely tune the TPS to 13.2 across the board.

One question for you... do you get CHEC appearing on your speedo at regular intervals? With the log box plugged in, it appears about every 5 mins for 1-2 sec. Without the log box it doesn't come up at all

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
The bike runs on the 0 map, I asked Woolich about what pins on the ECU for a map switch but they were unable to positively identify the map switch pins. The
<snipped>
One question for you... do you get CHEC appearing on your speedo at regular intervals? With the log box plugged in, it appears about every 5 mins for 1-2 sec. Without the log box it doesn't come up at all
Hi Jaz,
You asked the same question back in April this year or last, so I guess your stumped ?
I don't have the wiring diagram of the bike but there was one posted here last year or know that you have wired in this Auto tune, but as you probably do know CHEC points towards the side stand down when trying to start up in gear.

Obviously the bike is not konking out, and the only issue is the CHEC appearing but I am speculating that some aftermarket wiring mods is back feeding into the ignition original bike circuitry when the log box rewrites the program.
The side stand circuit and the ignition (pre esy start anyway) had a couple of diodes to stop back feeds and this is where perhaps there is a problem connection now ?
A 100% guess on my part.

Rob.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi Jaz,
You asked the same question back in April this year or last, so I guess your stumped ?
I don't have the wiring diagram of the bike but there was one posted here last year or know that you have wired in this Auto tune, but as you probably do know CHEC points towards the side stand down when trying to start up in gear.

Obviously the bike is not konking out, and the only issue is the CHEC appearing but I am speculating that some aftermarket wiring mods is back feeding into the ignition original bike circuitry when the log box rewrites the program.
The side stand circuit and the ignition (pre esy start anyway) had a couple of diodes to stop back feeds and this is where perhaps there is a problem connection now ?
A 100% guess on my part.

Rob.
Yeah thanks Rob, I have the service manual and the pin recommended by Woolich appears to trace back to TC on the wiring diagram.
Not overly bothered with the CHEC fault as it doesn't impact on the running of the bike but curious if any other Woolich users have experienced it as well. Overall I am quite happy with the Woolich product and the service I have received from them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haven't noticed what you're talking about yet with the chec popping up. But how much fuel did you have to add right off the bat? AFR showed that I was running pretty lean with no fueling changes at around 18-20 with the arrow headers and k&n. I keep adding fuel to get it down to 14 , and it pulls pretty hard, but is it excessive at about 12-15% on the lower rpms? If I had an exhaust leak, I would probably never be able to get it to show a rich condition right? It would always be sucking in small amounts of air no matter how much more fuel i added. Am I right in thinking this?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have attached my latest iteration fuel maps compared to stock (both IAP & TPS). The values are Trim values.
I am still tuning to some recent STP changes so these maps are very much a work in progress.

Like Bking1441, I have taken quite a bit of fuel out of the IAP maps. The TPS is a bit of mixture of adding and removing although there seems some consistent groupings. I am also tuning to the Woolich stock AFR.

I'm running the stock headers (with Yoshi slip on) and stock air cleaner.

Have you done the PAIR mod or running block off plates? If not, this could be causing the higher AFR.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so its been a couple of weeks now, still messing around quite a bit with the autotune using the stock woolich AFR table. My IAP map doesn't get near the hits on it that yours shows, KiwiJaz. I almost never out of the first two columns. I got looking at a log from a pretty long ride going from 4300 ft up to 8500 ft. On the woolich log, the atm pressure always says 109.1 Anyone else notice this? That puts the IAP calculation always above 60 most of the time. It keeps taking fuel away at 60.0 column and im still running 13.2 AFR. I feel like if it showed 101 on the atmosphere, i'd have more adjustment available with the IAP map. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
82 Posts
so its been a couple of weeks now, still messing around quite a bit with the autotune using the stock woolich AFR table. My IAP map doesn't get near the hits on it that yours shows, KiwiJaz. I almost never out of the first two columns. I got looking at a log from a pretty long ride going from 4300 ft up to 8500 ft. On the woolich log, the atm pressure always says 109.1 Anyone else notice this? That puts the IAP calculation always above 60 most of the time. It keeps taking fuel away at 60.0 column and im still running 13.2 AFR. I feel like if it showed 101 on the atmosphere, i'd have more adjustment available with the IAP map. Any thoughts?
Just checked my logs and I am showing a consistent 109.1 as well.

quick search of the Woolich forums....
WoolichRacing wrote:
I use them to verify that the pressure sensors are giving reasonable values for the current conditions.
There is no engine data parameter for IAP, so we have to request both Atmospheric Pressure and Manifold pressure to calculate IAP, so there is no difference to the data speed as these parameters have to be requested to calculate IAP.

also have a read of this IAP Map? 1679

·
Registered
305 Posts
Haven't noticed what you're talking about yet with the chec popping up. But how much fuel did you have to add right off the bat? AFR showed that I was running pretty lean with no fueling changes at around 18-20 with the arrow headers and k&n. I keep adding fuel to get it down to 14 , and it pulls pretty hard, but is it excessive at about 12-15% on the lower rpms? If I had an exhaust leak, I would probably never be able to get it to show a rich condition right? It would always be sucking in small amounts of air no matter how much more fuel i added. Am I right in thinking this?
CHEC should not happen.
Have never seen that with my setup.

Regarding fueling/logged values:

If you have not disabled O2-sensor "closed loop" (IAP/"cruise") is active.
I used this setup for a while, and in this "mode" there is *no point* in fiddling with IAP-table.

If you install a WB-sensor/Zeitronic (which you should when using LogBox), *then* you *must* adjust IAP.
They are "filthy" rich, as the ECU using the stock narrowband O2-sensor, will vary the AFR between 13.5 to 18.5.-
This is easy to observe in the logs using the "playback" function in "Engine Data".
The engine handles this fine as this is pr.design for "closed loop" operation. Not only on this engine, but all other engines running similar narrow-band sensor.

I have taken out up to 20% fuel in some ranges of IAP cells, to achieve as low consumption as possible without adverse effect on throttle response or how the engine runs.

Did the same "excersice" with my 1441cc B-King.

Best of two worlds...
Excellent milage/smooth cruise, and lots of power when "applying throttle" (aka TPS fueling) :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I was going to say the same as Phucket Paul, Dont forget the bike is restricted in 1-4 and 6 gear by ignition retard, thats why I and others use a TRE mod, The Woolwich software can adjust it, Im having mine flashed on 6th sept and going to ask him to remove my tre mod, also going to ask him to enable launch control.......its in there !

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I was going to say the same as Phucket Paul, Dont forget the bike is restricted in 1-4 and 6 gear by ignition retard, thats why I and others use a TRE mod, The Woolwich software can adjust it, Im having mine flashed on 6th sept and going to ask him to remove my tre mod, also going to ask him to enable launch control.......its in there !
It is restricted in 1-3 by ignition retard and in 6 by STP closing at high RPM

·
Registered
82 Posts
CHEC should not happen.
Have never seen that with my setup.
Reading a bit in the service manual it says it can happen if the dash loses a signal from the ECU.
What is unusual in my case is it only occurs when the log box is plugged into the harness.
I suspect I might have damaged one of the connectors on the ECU when trying to get a stubborn blanking pin out to wire the Woolich harness in. I have ordered a new connector plug and plan on replacing the connector hardware when that arrives.
If that doesn't fix the issue I will likey get in touch with Woolich and see if the log box itself is causing the problem.
It doesn't stop the bike from running so not a critical issue at this stage.

·
Registered
82 Posts
also going to ask him to enable launch control.......its in there !
Are you sure about that?
I have failed to find it with the Woolich software or any reference to Launch Control for the GSXS from any of the reputable ECU flashers.... definitely is there for the GSXR

·
Registered
305 Posts
Are you sure about that?
I have failed to find it with the Woolich software or any reference to Launch Control for the GSXS from any of the reputable ECU flashers.... definitely is there for the GSXR
I have "nagged" Justin about our model from the first time GSXS was launched.
At first he/they did not even bothered to look more into it as they assumed it had a "difficult" mmc/ECU-model.
When I informed it was the same model used for B-King/Busa things started to happen (I sent images of where the ECU and SDS is on the bike).
I have also wished to get "Racetools support" which seems to be reserved to Yamaha MT/FZ series or R-versions of Suzuki, Kawa, Yamaha.
It is "just" a matter of prioritizing, and our beloved GSXS is *not* a popular model/good business for Woolich I am afraid.
So be patient.
:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts